C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car turns over but wont fire...NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Brady08
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car turns over but wont fire...NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

U need help figuring this out, maybe someone had a common problem. Well a month ago my car died while i came to a stop.a guy helped me and put jumper cable on hot wire of coil to hot of alternator.(i bought a new coil first n didnt get no spark).so the car started right up after he did that.now 2 weeks ago did the same thing, i hooked cable back on and started right up. Now 2 days ago it stalled out when i put it in park and the cable wont work this time. Im gettin fuel in carb, got another coil(still no spark), ground wires look fine from coil to the distributer compressor and on coil itself, points look fine, all grounds on starter look ok, i tested spark by putting a screw driver in the spark plug wire from coil to distributor as well as the first spark plug wire and laying them on the intake to see if it sparks between the driver and intake and nothing. It seems like a ground to me somewhere on the coil but trying to see other opinions first.....also timing chain is fine,button spins...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

fried points
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
fried points
or closed.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If there is no spark, this will be the first priority. In my experience I've seem many cars have the timing chain jump a tooth at idle or when you shut the car off. So check the rotor and make sure it's spinning, then check the points.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It comes down to a few basics: Are you getting fuel?; Are you getting spark?; Is the dist at #1 at TDC?

If you are getting fuel, great! If not, find out where the system has a problem.
If you are getting 12 volts at the coil, Great! Regardless, get a volt/ohm meter and check the voltage at the starter solenoid and negative side of the coil. Some of these cars have a built-in ballast resistor in the wire from the switch to the coil.
If your rotor lines up with #1 on your cap at top-dead-center, Great! If not, timing chain whoes.

Not complicated just check one thing at a time.

Get notified of new replies

To car turns over but wont fire...NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: car turns over but wont fire...NEED HELP!!!!!!!!