C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'74 Corvette - Key Cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '74 Corvette - Key Cylinder problem

hi, I finally got back to working on my corvette. I lowered the steering column - which was difficult until I realized I needed to disconnect the column from the steering gear in order to free it up so the interlink was out of the way.

To recap my problem, the key cylinder had stopped rotating with the key in. so, what I have now found is that the rod connecting the ignition switch is fine, the key cylinder is fine. If I push and pull the rod it slides fairly smoothly. But, when I try to rotate the metal stem (where the key cylinder would go) the plastic gear does not engage well with the gears on the rod. And, the metal gears on the rod can push up and down a little, and the the plastic gear wobbles slightly. Surprisingly, the plastic gear teeth seem to still be in decent shape - I'm amazed the teeth had not yet broken. Is there a bushing or a rebuild kit available to fix my problem? Let me know what you think?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is a rack, sector, spring, and bearing kit.
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={f1459f86-9e88-432d-ae18-f900b389d09b}&gid={fa4c1ebb-e8fb-45de-b613-1d53b469dfa3}&GroupName=Steering+Column+ Components&pname=69-82+Steering+Column+Bearing+%26+Rack+Kit+ (w%2fTele)&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&
The link is to Zip Products but I am sure that this same kit is available from other Corvette suppliers.
Jim
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM
ClassicG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim.

Get notified of new replies

To '74 Corvette - Key Cylinder problem

Quick Reply: '74 Corvette - Key Cylinder problem