C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 to 69 steering column parts swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 68 to 69 steering column parts swap

I have added a push start system to my '69 and no longer want the key cylinder on the column. Is it possible to swap the section of the column where the key cylinder goes to a 68 piece (key in dash)? Taking a quick look Im thinking no, but ive been wrong before. This is a standard non tilt-tele column.
It would be easy to just swap the whole column to a 68 but this one has been shortened and modified for my rack and pinion so Id rather keep the main parts from my current column
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Jim Shea could probably tell you if the shift bowl is interchangeable. (IIRC that's what the parts catalog called it)
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

BTW, the part you are trying to replace is known as the ignition lock cylinder housing or the turn signal switch housing. The 1969 and later steering columns had a precision die cast housing. The early 1967-68 columns utilized a stamped sheet metal housing. They will not interchange.

The 1967-68 General Motors steering columns were the first generation, energy absorbing designs. They had a mesh jacket that crushed and absorbed energy. The cutouts in the jacket resulted in the steering column being quite whimpy in bending. So the steering column required a large, heavy, three or four mounting capsule bracket in order to make the steering column more rigid.

The second generation energy absorbing steering column utilized a new design energy absorbing feature. Two cylinders telescoped over each other with a series of ball bearings that were interference fit. So energy was absorbed as the ball bearings ploughed metal when the two jackets telescoped over each other. The more rigid jacket assembly allowed for a much smaller, lighter, two capsule mounting bracket.

So retrofitting the older style steering column into your 1969 will require additional structure under the dash to provide support to the older steering column. Otherwise you will find the steering wheel bouncing in your hands as you drive down the road.
Jim
Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jim
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
canuckvetter1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the push button start in my 72. the column was worn out so I replaced it with an IDIDIT 68 retrofit column. I love it.

Last edited by canuckvetter1; 12-01-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by canuckvetter1
[IMG]http://forums.corvetteforum.com/picture.php?albumid=14663&pictureid=1276 69[IMG]
I did the push button start in my 72. the column was worn out so I replaced it with an IDIDIT 68 retrofit column. I love it.
That looks really good!
the Ididit columns are a bit pricey for me now though
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM
mrmaxxman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that push button idea is pretty cool, never crossed my mind. and i have a 68 lol

btw i like the almost 100 mph setting on the speed warning !!

Last edited by mrmaxxman; 12-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're not afraid to tear into the column to remove the "bowl" that contains the ignition lock cylinder you could cut that portion off flush and have a good welder tig weld in a piece of aluminum to fill the hole.

I recently did this when a friend gave me a tilt-tele column from a mid '70's Cadillac to which I grafted a '68 lower column section for my '68. I was surprised at how easy this was with a little bit of amateur fabrication. The C3 Corvette tilt-tele columns shared a lot of parts with other GM TT columns.

Remember, when you do this you'll lose the locking feature for the steering wheel and transmission. I stripped my column of the locking hardware; 68's didn't have this feature anyway.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
canuckvetter1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmaxxman
that push button idea is pretty cool, never crossed my mind. and i have a 68 lol

btw i like the almost 100 mph setting on the speed warning !!
It lets me know when it is time to shift to 4th lol
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

A lot of people have converted column shift steering columns into floor shift models by sawing off the shift lever boss on the shift bowl and filling it in. (Obviously these are not Corvette conversions.) They indicate that if done correctly it is nearly impossible to tell that it was a converted column shift.

The lock cylinder boss is quite a bit larger than a shift lever boss, so there is a lot more structure to remove and rebuild. But I would think that you might be successful with that same type of conversion method. The early locking columns had die cast lock cylinder housings. Later (and it might have been 1977) the housings were made from plastic.

Good luck,
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 12-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 to 69 steering column parts swap

Quick Reply: 68 to 69 steering column parts swap