C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering and Brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Power Steering and Brakes???

I am working on a deal to buy a '70 coupe with manual brakes and steering. Since it is going to be my Wife's car, I would like to know what the easiest ways to add power assist to the steering and brakes?

For the brakes can I just buy the booster and install it?

For the steering can I get the valve, pump, cylinder, hoses, etc and add them? Would that be the cheapest route?

I am somewhat familiar with the C3 but this will be my first time really working with one.

Thanks.

Matt
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

There are kits available to convert to power steering. Your list is missing a couple of parts including the pulley and the lower linkage rod ( wrong name).

Switching to power brakes is a little more involved than bolting on the booster. You'd have to change the master cylinder and possibly the brake lines from he MC to the distribution block. You'd need the vacuum fitting forthe carb as well as the hose. To bolt on the booster you'd have to cut a hole in the firewall above the manual hole as well as drilling holes for the booster bolts. The rod that goes from the brake pedal to the booster is different ( and in a different hole on the pedal) as is the striker that depresses the switch for the brake lights.

None of this is extreme but it isn't trivial either.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM
surfertom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would work on the steering first. my 69 has assist steering , manual brakes. i don't think power brakes will be necessary if the manual system is working properly.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the steering would be the one to do first. Manual brakes are not that bad if the brake system is working well.

Also think of doing rack and pinion now. Remove all the old steering parts and bolt on the rack and a steering pump and done. New and improved with power.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Purchase the 70 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and take a look at how each option was installed on the assembly line. The AIM will list the original part numbers for everything you will need.

FWIW: unless the asking price on the 70 is too good to ignore, consider passing on it and look for a car with factory power brakes and steering.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I recommend a hydro boost system for the brakes, far superior to any vacuum booster, and it runs off the power steering pump, and the power steering should be by Borgeson, it's a direct swap for your manual box, and you dont have to mess with anything like the stock messed up system, plus you get quicker steering, makes the car so much easier/better to drive....you maybe want to upgrade to larger wheels with same diameter tires, just a bit wider also....

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're not worried about using all original type parts I would go with a Borgeson power steering box and not bother with the assist cylinder.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought this little gem from Ecklers and didnt realize it was wrong for my car till it was too late. I would love to find it a good home.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Unless you have found a really good deal on the car...or the exact car of your (and her) dreams, I would recommed that you just go looking for another car that already has power steering and brakes.

The answer to your question is that there is NO easy way to install those items. Yes, they make kits; and you can change-out parts to get those accessories added. But, you have to do some significant mechanical work to get that done...or you have to pay someone $100 per hour to make those changes on a 40 year-old vehicle.

If you have it done, it will be expensive. If you do it yourself, it will be a PITA and you will have significant downtime.

I just thought you should get a 'real world' picture of what you are suggesting, rather than the ususal "pie in the sky" verbage that you get from those that don't have any 'skin' in accomplishing this task.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with those who recommend finding a car with PS and PB. The Borgeson steering is $600 + then you need a pump, mounting brackets and belt. I don't know the cost of the PB booster and all the other parts to make it work but I think you're looking at $1000 if you do the work yourself.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

The borgeson conversion just for the power steering and the box is $1,000 alone with you doing the work-Even more for R&P steering! Add more dollars for the power brake conversion-with you doing the work.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/9...FQqk4Aod9QwAsQ

I would find a car with PS and PB's and just get the OEM systems operating correctly and you will be very happy unless you plan on racing. I have the OEM brakes and steering box on my 78. The brakes are terrific with the only changes being SS calipers, SS braided brake lines and Performance Friction Z rated pads with 17 inch Z rated tires. The steering box and all the components are stock OEM-and no the steering cylinder and proportioning valve do not leak. I had the OEM steering box custom rebuilt/blue printed by a former forum member who rebuilds the stock box as a side business and the steering is dead on with zero play. Is the steering as good as rack and pinion? no but I would bet that with the exception of the Borgeson box having a quicker ratio which is not about play and feel, it would be pretty close.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Better let the Mrs. decide. I think the point is that it can be done but not without some time, money and blood. It may be worth it if you have a line on a great deal on the car and enjoy working on a car as much, if not MORE than you like driving it.

If she hasnt driven the car or a car like it, she may also be hitting you up for some bushings, shocks, springs, fuel injection, A/C, HEI conversion and a roll bar.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Missed the point about being your wife's car! I would definitely not go with the steering conversions since both systems will quicken the steering ratio significantly and the wife may not like a system which has the car reacting to every minute input of the steering wheel. Even better if she does prefer that type of car, though!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

The car is a pretty good deal but more importantly, I am buying it from a friend to help him through a tight spot. It is a fair car but comes without the motor and trans, so I have some work to do already.

It makes sense to go for the steering first and that is probably what I will do. Most likely I will let her drive it a bit after I get it running and see what she thinks and go from there. The power rack would be a good thing to budget for though.

Thank you all for the responses. I have a much better idea of what is involved here. It is more than I hoped but right about what I thought it would be.

Matt
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Matt, does she want the car or do you want her to have it? Has she ever driven one before? Its okay, this is a forum, its a safe place to talk about this stuff.

I ask because what if you do all the modifications to the car and she does not like to drive it. Perhaps she cant see over the hood, its too loud, her leg hurts from the clutch, or it leaves her on the side of the road one too many times.

I guess I am sayin is it possible this may end up as "your" vette anyway?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Well, if you can do it yourself....

It should not be terribly difficult. I converted my 68 to power steering with a kit. If I was to do it nowadays I would use the Borgeson unit instead.

As far as the power brakes, I found the below thread a couple of weeks ago. Looks fairly straightforward and you can buy the booster and master at autozone cheap.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...onversion.html
Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Since the drivetrain is "out", it should not be a big problem to add the brakes and steering equipment. You just need to research well to make sure you install ALL of the correct items. There are some significant but small differences in the hardware used for manual brakes and for the power brake system (M/C, servo apply rod, etc.).

You should also rework (and revise as required for P/S) the front suspension components and steering links. When you work on the engine, you can mount the P/S pump and drive belt..so that won't be the problem it could have been with engine already installed.

You definitely need to purchase a copy of the Assembly Instruction Manual [A.I.M.] for you model year.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering and Brakes???

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnt365
Matt, does she want the car or do you want her to have it? Has she ever driven one before? Its okay, this is a forum, its a safe place to talk about this stuff.

I ask because what if you do all the modifications to the car and she does not like to drive it. Perhaps she cant see over the hood, its too loud, her leg hurts from the clutch, or it leaves her on the side of the road one too many times.

I guess I am sayin is it possible this may end up as "your" vette anyway?
She has always liked the C3 body style cars and digs the chrome bumper ones. As far as dealing with "old" cars we have experience there. I have a 68 Cougar that I have had for nearly 20 years. She has already pointed out some things that car does that she doesn't want this one to do..... hey it's nothing money can't fix right?

She has never driven a C3 but has driven the 92 we had and the GS we have now. I have wanted to get her one of these for a long time and the opportunity has come up. It is not the ideal car to start with but I am buying it from a friend who is down on his luck and could use the cash. I am going to work on getting the power steering in now while the engine is out then add power brakes later if she feels the need. I think she will be fine with it for a few years.

As far as the other things go, it is going to be her car so if it is too loud when I get it running, I will have to quiet it down. Right now she is pretty excited about the car. It's fun seeing her search the internet for paint ideas.

Matt
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carriljc
It should not be terribly difficult. I converted my 68 to power steering with a kit. If I was to do it nowadays I would use the Borgeson unit instead.

As far as the power brakes, I found the below thread a couple of weeks ago. Looks fairly straightforward and you can buy the booster and master at autozone cheap.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...onversion.html
Looks fairly easy.... maybe I will do that while the engine is out.

This is the information I was looking for. Thank you.

Matt
Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Do what he says.

Originally Posted by mrvette
I recommend a hydro boost system for the brakes, far superior to any vacuum booster, and it runs off the power steering pump, and the power steering should be by Borgeson, it's a direct swap for your manual box, and you dont have to mess with anything like the stock messed up system, plus you get quicker steering, makes the car so much easier/better to drive....you maybe want to upgrade to larger wheels with same diameter tires, just a bit wider also....

quickcat,

mrvette is right. I have a Borgeson box AND a Hydroboost on my '74 coupe and these two mods make the car come alive! The steering is responsive, but not "darty" and the brakes....WELL!!! The small amount of pressure needed to apply them makes them well suited to a lady driver.

With the engine out of the car, these two conversions should be easy. However, I'll give you a good tip.

If you order from Borgeson, www.borgeson.com, ask for a pump with the inlet pointing at 10 o'clock (viewed from behind engine) instead of the standard Corvette position of 5 o'clock. Otherwise, you will have to feed the return line down past the inlet and make it do a 180 degree turn to fit onto the nipple. You don't want that.

Alternatively, heat up the nipple and remove it and braze in a -6 AN male nipple and use a 90 degree female -6 AN fitting for the return line. If you plan to use a Hydroboost as well, better skip the Borgeson hoses and have some custom ones made up.

The pressure line from the pump goes first to the HB, the HP outlet from the HB goes to the Borgeson box and the LP lines from the HB and the box go to the pump. You will need to Tee them for the single inlet, or have another inlet fitted when you modify the pump. That's what I did to mine.

The Borgeson box comes with a three year written warranty if you use a good Power Steering Fluid such as the AC Delco one. Do not use ATF!!!

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Quick Reply: Power Steering and Brakes???