C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass repair, Mat, fur, or Bondo??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 05:43 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fiberglass repair, Mat, fur, or Bondo??

Well I stripped my hood of all loose paint and fiberglass so I can rebuild it.
Last fall I forgot to put the clips in the four hood pins and it became airborne at 30 MPH. Needless to say it hit the ground quite hard!

It is quite a mess, turns out it is a stock hood with an L88 scoop grafted on. The grafting is OK but there is a lot of poorly laminated fiberglass filler around it that was cracking and falling off. So I removed it.

So now I have some filling to do on my hood, deep grooves where the L88 hood was grafted to the stock hood. So there is a step in the glass right now that needs to be filled.

Should I fill it in with Fiberglass mat, that fiberglass paste or just use bondo?

I also have a chunk of the corner missing, about 2x2" of fiberglass need to be re-created, what is the best way to make new pieces??
Old 06-13-2002, 07:01 PM
JerryM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fiberglass repair, Mat, fur, or Bondo?? (427V8)

Personally , I would use Mat & resin, grinding the existing material back with 80 grit for a good bond. As for the missing pieces, feather the broken edges back about 2 ", then backing it up with light aluminum sheet, lay up mat & resin in increasingly larger pieces from the missing edge to the feathered edge on one side. Let set & cure, then turn over, remove aluminum backer, feather other side back 2" and build up with mat & Resin. Sand smooth, prime, (DP) paint & enjoy !

Hope this helps.

:D
Old 06-13-2002, 11:11 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Fiberglass repair, Mat, fur, or Bondo?? (JerryM)

I agree, I like using mat and stranded fiberglass filler instead of fur. Fill in the small crevises with vette panel filler. It flexes and sands better than bondo.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass repair, Mat, fur, or Bondo??

Quick Reply: Fiberglass repair, Mat, fur, or Bondo??