C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Front Mount Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
xlautomation
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Front Mount Bracket

Hello;

This question is regarding the front two differential mounting bolts that hold the bracket and snubber bushings to the diff. Of these two bolts, the rear bolt came off easily, but the front bolt (the one with the castle nut and cotter pin) did not. The cotter pin and nut came off easily enough, but when I torqued on the bolt, the head snapped off. So now I have a half-attached bracket and need to get that other broken bolt out.

My question is whether the hole through the differential is threaded at all or was it just rusted all together? If it's just rust, I'll put it in the press and press it out. It there are threads involved, this will be a much more difficult operation. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks very much!

Michael
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I remember it is not threaded...Must be very rusty. Soak it with your penetrate of choice and have at it!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
edk136
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope, it's not threaded. Did the rear bolt have a castle nut and cotter pin? They both should have the bolt/castle nut/cotter pin combo.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
xlautomation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edk136
Nope, it's not threaded. Did the rear bolt have a castle nut and cotter pin? They both should have the bolt/castle nut/cotter pin combo.
Whoohoo, thanks! Nope. Only the front bolt had the cotter pin and castle nut. This is a '68, the AIM seems to indicate this is correct.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM
edk136
Racer

I would have thought they were both the same, I guess that's what I get for thinking. Was that bolt rusty? I had plenty of rearend lube to keep mine from rusting
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
edk136
Racer

You must have a 4-speed. I just looked at Paragon's website and they show two different bolt kits for the 1968. One for auto and one for 4-speeds.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 PM
xlautomation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edk136
You must have a 4-speed. I just looked at Paragon's website and they show two different bolt kits for the 1968. One for auto and one for 4-speeds.
Rusty Indeed. Oddly, the frame is in great shape with little rust.

It is a 4-speed.

I hefted it up on the shop press and put about 5 tons of force on that bolt and it hasn't moved yet. Penetrating oil and heat hasn't loosened it yet either.

I'll try again tomorrow. I might have to put it in the mill and just drill it out.

Michael
Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I just pulled the diff. on my 74 rolling chassis. One of the bolts was a bit tight. I took a smaller diameter "punch" and hammered it out. Came pretty easily.

Might consider tapping it with a hammer in the same manner. The "shock" (obviously not real hard) might work better then the gradual pressure from a press.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Front Mount Bracket

Quick Reply: Differential Front Mount Bracket