C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse popping dilemma

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM
ryantown
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse popping dilemma

I'm having a problem with the Turn Signal fuse and the Gauges fuse in a 73 C3 Auto.

It also seems that the linkage that links the tranny to the steering which allows the key to be pulled out when the car is in park has also come out of adjustment. Could these two issues be related?

I read that there may be a way to adjust the linkage to get the key out, currently I have to pull up on the lever under the brake booster every time I drive the car. I have to double check, but it seems like if I leave the car running, pop the hood, pull the safety lockout lever up, then turn the car off, the fuses do not pop. You can imagine that process gets old. Has anyone experienced these issues and found a solution?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 AM
ryantown
Intermediate

Well today I started her up and noticed that immediately the blinker relay just started randomly clicking even though I hadn't engaged the signal. When I did use the Signal it worked while the relay kept clicking. Then the fuse popped. What would cause the relay to randomly click like that?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM
rbowman
Instructor

I had the same issue on my 77. I checked all the bulb housings, grounds and wiring.turned out to be the flasher unit for the signals. Mine is located behind the kick panel on the passengers side. Hope this helps.

Ron
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM
ryantown
Intermediate

Thanks Ron. That's what is so strange. I replaced the flasher unit and that is what kept clicking when I had it on. I checked a few of the bulbs. The parking lights, brake lights, hazards all work fine. Has anyone ever had the blinker unit just start clicking at random? It seems like a short somewhere maybe.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The cables at the transmission might need an adjustment.
Here's how:
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 AM
ryantown
Intermediate

Thanks Pete. I will need that diagram for sure. I just disconnected it at the steering column. When I get into the center console I will hook it all back up and adjust.

As far as the fuses, I think it may be a fused filament. I am going to try pulling all the indicator bulbs out then see if the fuses still blow.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 AM
AF_Vette
Racer

You can try this.

Disconnect the rear harness (Drivers side kick plate) check to see if the fuse blows.

Disconnect the front harness next (engine compartment) check to see if the fuse blows.

If it still blows with both front and rear harnesses disconnected, then the problem is in the dash.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM
dntoearthman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ryantown
Thanks Pete. I will need that diagram for sure. I just disconnected it at the steering column. When I get into the center console I will hook it all back up and adjust.

As far as the fuses, I think it may be a fused filament. I am going to try pulling all the indicator bulbs out then see if the fuses still blow.
If your a little crafty, soldier up a 12v bulb in series with the fuse, bulb will light up bright if there is a full load or short on the circut, might save you on changing fuses and give you a visibly indicator. The brighter the bulb the more current you are drawing,a dim bulb would suggest a non shorted conditon.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 PM
ryantown
Intermediate

Update

It appears to have been one of the rear bulbs (at least so far no popping, but don't want to jinx myself either). I took AF Vette's advice, disconnected rear harness, no pop. Replaced all the rear bulbs and all is well so far. Thanks to all who replied. If status changes I will post another update.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse popping dilemma

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuse popping dilemma