Borgeson Install - Page 21 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Borgeson Install

Old 12-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Bikespace
CF Senior Member

I don't think that shaft is copper. I doubt it could even be bronze. The nut gets torqued to over 150 lb-ft that goes on that shaft (this is not the correct number, don't cite it). Is it possible that someone used copper anti-sieze on it? Perhaps before Borgeson rebuilt it? Is it magnetic?

I'm happy with my install. No leaks, so far (knock knock).
Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 AM
naramlee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bikespace View Post
I don't think that shaft is copper. I doubt it could even be bronze. The nut gets torqued to over 150 lb-ft that goes on that shaft (this is not the correct number, don't cite it). Is it possible that someone used copper anti-sieze on it? Perhaps before Borgeson rebuilt it? Is it magnetic?

I'm happy with my install. No leaks, so far (knock knock).
yeah that's why im kind of fixated on it... it's not a surface coating because it cut with a knife. It's original and ive seen it on other members steering boxes on here as well. Yeah I havn't done the easiest test yet of the magnet... but im still reaaaaaaaaaaaaally curious why there is copper on it... or some kind of alloy
Old 12-08-2018, 10:48 AM
jpattt24
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jpattt24 View Post
I pulled the sector shaft out today and found that the o-ring was perfect. but the bore in the box where the o-ring sits has a bad galge in it. as seen in pic. I put a new o-ring on it and cleaned it up good. put it back in car and it still leaked. im sending it back to jegs and they will credit me. I got a new one on the way should get it tomorrow afternoon via ups. and I will get it on the vet Saturday. hope this new one is good. also the o-ring in that kit was way to big ?

I got new box in the mail. I cleared it as some

one suggested and it turned out nice. hope it don't leak like the last one.

Last edited by jpattt24; 12-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
jpattt24
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I got the new box in car. and no leaks I drove it a few miles. and from manual to power borgeson box is amazing. anyone thinking about doing the conversion I say do it. I am very happy with the results. and thanks to everyone who helped me. jp
Old Today, 02:43 PM
OldCarBum
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=Bikespace;1598464079]I don't think that shaft is copper. I doubt it could even be bronze. The nut gets torqued to over 150 lb-ft that goes on that shaft (this is not the correct number, don't cite it). Is it possible that someone used copper anti-sieze on it? Perhaps before Borgeson rebuilt it? Is it magnetic?

Could the shaft be Nibral?
Nibral is an alloy in the marine industry for underwater hardware.
Old Today, 06:53 PM
jpattt24
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My horn is not working now that I got the new box installed. the rag joint looks like there is no way for it to ground through the column. isn't that how the horn works is through the column and grounds to the steering box or something ? horn worked before this conversion. thanks jp

Last edited by jpattt24; Today at 06:54 PM.
Old Today, 06:59 PM
rpoL98
CF Senior Member

there was a post in another thread, not sure if it was the other forum, that said the original GM rag joint rubber coupling disc was conductive, i.e. impregnated with metal fibers. you might need to run a ground strap (short copper wire with ring lugs both ends) across the rag joint. try just jumpering across the rag joint with alligator clips or something (paper clip) to see if that's the solution. I'm really curious to know.

My horn worked after the Borgeson install (1978), but then again, it's also been posted that you shouldn't use bearings as a conductive path. the "galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals" thing.

Last edited by rpoL98; Today at 07:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rpoL98 For This Useful Post:
jpattt24 (Today)
Old Today, 07:25 PM
naramlee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rpoL98 View Post

My horn worked after the Borgeson install (1978), but then again, it's also been posted that you shouldn't use bearings as a conductive path. the "galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals" thing.
it also micro-welds the bearings, slowly causes pits in the *****

Old Today, 08:38 PM
rpoL98
CF Senior Member

yeah, on my list of things to do, next. round up a 3/8" ring lug, and a 5/16" ring lug. crimp, solder, install.either 14ga or 12ga stranded wire, green insulated, black insulation, or bare.

Last edited by rpoL98; Today at 08:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borgeson Install

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: