C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I don't think that shaft is copper. I doubt it could even be bronze. The nut gets torqued to over 150 lb-ft that goes on that shaft (this is not the correct number, don't cite it). Is it possible that someone used copper anti-sieze on it? Perhaps before Borgeson rebuilt it? Is it magnetic?

I'm happy with my install. No leaks, so far (knock knock).
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 AM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I don't think that shaft is copper. I doubt it could even be bronze. The nut gets torqued to over 150 lb-ft that goes on that shaft (this is not the correct number, don't cite it). Is it possible that someone used copper anti-sieze on it? Perhaps before Borgeson rebuilt it? Is it magnetic?

I'm happy with my install. No leaks, so far (knock knock).
yeah that's why im kind of fixated on it... it's not a surface coating because it cut with a knife. It's original and ive seen it on other members steering boxes on here as well. Yeah I havn't done the easiest test yet of the magnet... but im still reaaaaaaaaaaaaally curious why there is copper on it... or some kind of alloy
Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM
jpattt24
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jpattt24
I pulled the sector shaft out today and found that the o-ring was perfect. but the bore in the box where the o-ring sits has a bad galge in it. as seen in pic. I put a new o-ring on it and cleaned it up good. put it back in car and it still leaked. im sending it back to jegs and they will credit me. I got a new one on the way should get it tomorrow afternoon via ups. and I will get it on the vet Saturday. hope this new one is good. also the o-ring in that kit was way to big ?

I got new box in the mail. I cleared it as some

one suggested and it turned out nice. hope it don't leak like the last one.

Last edited by jpattt24; 12-08-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:37 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

I got the new box in car. and no leaks I drove it a few miles. and from manual to power borgeson box is amazing. anyone thinking about doing the conversion I say do it. I am very happy with the results. and thanks to everyone who helped me. jp
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

[QUOTE=Bikespace;1598464079]I don't think that shaft is copper. I doubt it could even be bronze. The nut gets torqued to over 150 lb-ft that goes on that shaft (this is not the correct number, don't cite it). Is it possible that someone used copper anti-sieze on it? Perhaps before Borgeson rebuilt it? Is it magnetic?

Could the shaft be Nibral?
Nibral is an alloy in the marine industry for underwater hardware.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:53 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

My horn is not working now that I got the new box installed. the rag joint looks like there is no way for it to ground through the column. isn't that how the horn works is through the column and grounds to the steering box or something ? horn worked before this conversion. thanks jp

Last edited by jpattt24; 12-11-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

there was a post in another thread, not sure if it was the other forum, that said the original GM rag joint rubber coupling disc was conductive, i.e. impregnated with metal fibers. you might need to run a ground strap (short copper wire with ring lugs both ends) across the rag joint. try just jumpering across the rag joint with alligator clips or something (paper clip) to see if that's the solution. I'm really curious to know.

My horn worked after the Borgeson install (1978), but then again, it's also been posted that you shouldn't use bearings as a conductive path. the "galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals" thing.

Last edited by rpoL98; 12-11-2018 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpattt24 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rpoL98

My horn worked after the Borgeson install (1978), but then again, it's also been posted that you shouldn't use bearings as a conductive path. the "galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals" thing.
it also micro-welds the bearings, slowly causes pits in the *****

Old 12-11-2018, 07:38 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

yeah, on my list of things to do, next. round up a 3/8" ring lug, and a 5/16" ring lug. crimp, solder, install.either 14ga or 12ga stranded wire, green insulated, black insulation, or bare.

Last edited by rpoL98; 12-11-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm installing a Borgeson in my 77. I need to build my own hoses (electric power steering pump). Does anyone know what sizes/types are the Bogerson inlet and return fittings? Looks like they are two different sizes.

Looked through the thread and couldn't spot the fitting sizes. I would like to go to metal pipe since my pump will not be moving with the engine.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Originally Posted by DblTrbl
I'm installing a Borgeson in my 77. I need to build my own hoses (electric power steering pump). Does anyone know what sizes/types are the Bogerson inlet and return fittings? Looks like they are two different sizes.

Looked through the thread and couldn't spot the fitting sizes. I would like to go to metal pipe since my pump will not be moving with the engine.
5/8-18 and 11/16-18 the box has o-ring fittings. unless you use the supplied flaired bushings to convert to flair fittings.
DblTrbl (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm2608

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm2609
DblTrbl (12-16-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:33 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Not my picture, but accurate.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:34 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

This is the one mod I still need to do, didn't have the budget for it this time around....perhaps next year. I've read a lot of good things about the Borgeson setup, its most likely the one i'll go with as well. With the current 265 tires it was hard turning at low speeds, I wonder how much more of a pain its going to be with 295s and 18 inch wheels lol.

Has anyone tried the electronic power steering setups?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:00 PM
82Other
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Borgeson Install

I got a used Borgeson power steering box kit from a C2 owner who had it removed from his car at Wilcox who complained that it was "too much" boost. I was assured by the tech at Wilcox that it would make my '82 feel great because my wheels are 1" wider. As I'm always replacing things I always look for a bargain. This unit, however, while sitting in my lap, binds at the center of travel when I turn it by hand at the rag joint. Makes me think that was the problem on the fellow's C2, that the moment of unbinding made his car steer erratically. Since it is at the center of travel, that's where it would be most of the time while driving a straight line, therefor it would be going in and out of the binding spot. Could be mistaken as too much boost.

Also, when I drained the unit, still full of fluid, RED fluid came out, not golden as I would have expected. Borgeson says specifically not to use ATF. If I can adjust the binding away, can I also clean the ATF out of the unit adequately before adding real power steering fluid?

I just finished collapsing my steering column, removed all my old PS gear, and the old steering box. I'm pretty committed. But I'm not sure I can continue with this unit.

Advice, anyone???

Steve
Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Originally Posted by 82Other
I got a used Borgeson power steering box kit from a C2 owner who had it removed from his car at Wilcox who complained that it was "too much" boost. I was assured by the tech at Wilcox that it would make my '82 feel great because my wheels are 1" wider. As I'm always replacing things I always look for a bargain. This unit, however, while sitting in my lap, binds at the center of travel when I turn it by hand at the rag joint. Makes me think that was the problem on the fellow's C2, that the moment of unbinding made his car steer erratically. Since it is at the center of travel, that's where it would be most of the time while driving a straight line, therefor it would be going in and out of the binding spot. Could be mistaken as too much boost.

Also, when I drained the unit, still full of fluid, RED fluid came out, not golden as I would have expected. Borgeson says specifically not to use ATF. If I can adjust the binding away, can I also clean the ATF out of the unit adequately before adding real power steering fluid?

I just finished collapsing my steering column, removed all my old PS gear, and the old steering box. I'm pretty committed. But I'm not sure I can continue with this unit.

Advice, anyone???

Steve
my new box had a slight bind when it was centered. and I was moving it back and fourth on the work bench. I think that is normal as mine works fine installed. no binding at all.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:12 PM
82Other
Advanced

Thanks jpatt24, that is encouraging. I also wrote to Wilcox and Borgeson. Anxious to see if they confirm that it is normal. Did it concern you also when you felt it? How significant was the binding to you? When I first felt it I thought I had reached the end of travel.

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Install

Old 12-16-2018, 03:42 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpattt24
my new box had a slight bind when it was centered. and I was moving it back and fourth on the work bench. I think that is normal as mine works fine installed. no binding at all.
My new Borgeson also has a slight bind in the center. As long as the bind isn't excessive, my best guess is that it's intentional since that's where you're going to feel any looseness in the steering and you will get the most wear.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:26 PM
82Other
Advanced

Borgeson wants my box back. Said it sounds bad. I bought mine 2nd hand so I need the guy to get me a receipt. He's looking. I have a bad feeling about this. The seller told me the box was too strong for his C2. I am getting no such thing. Mine requires more steering effort than the original setup. I might have got buffaloed.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:34 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

My new Borgeson also has a slight bind in the center. As long as the bind isn't excessive, my best guess is that it's intentional since that's where you're going to feel any looseness in the steering and you will get the most wear.
BTW, My Borgeson is now being supplied by a Volvo Electric Power Steering pump. Works great so far. You can check my build thread in the Sig below if you want info on the pump. Or if someone wants, I can post info here as well.
jpattt24 (12-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Borgeson Install