C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mouse in the car? Now dead!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM
vetteman1976
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse in the car? Now dead!!

Came out today after a huge snowstorm here in dsm iowa..Open the c-3 car door and the nastiest *** smell....whew...I put bait out a couple weeks ago because a mouse was getting in and ******* in my car..
well...Now he died in my car and I cannot find him to save my a..
its coming from the the back area...I vacumuned, shampoo'd 2x, looked under the seats, all over...in the back 2 corners the carpet flaps up, where does that lead too? must be back in there somewhere...
luckily, I wont be driving it anytime soon , til the work gets done..but I cant stand that smell...I can handle alot of crappy smells but that is nautious....I have to find him period...
what do u guys use to keep them out? I cant be the only one...
J
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try pulling the kick panels in each footwell...poke around in those pockets up in the forward sides of the birdcage. It may have made its way into the cowl vents and terminated in there...good luck. Stinky Vette not good!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

It will only stick for so long. Once it has decomposed, the smell will be gone. good luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM
joefloyd
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetteman1976
Came out today after a huge snowstorm here in dsm iowa..Open the c-3 car door and the nastiest *** smell....whew...I put bait out a couple weeks ago because a mouse was getting in and ******* in my car..
its coming from the the back area...I vacumuned, shampoo'd 2x, looked under the seats, all over...in the back 2 corners the carpet flaps up, where does that lead too? must be back in there somewhere...
luckily, I wont be driving it anytime soon , til the work gets done..but I cant stand that smell...I can handle alot of crappy smells but that is nautious....I have to find him period...
J
When I put my vet up for the winter I put 4 or 5 mint trash bags all over the inside. They dont like the smell of mint.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 AM
pokey1
Advanced

I throw a bunch of dryer sheets in. They don't like the smell. Been doing that in my travel trailer for years with good results.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

You need to hire a cadaver mouse. But make sure you remove the baits first.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

That's why I never use bait-
They eat the stuff and then crawl up inside somewhere and die.
The smell really never goes away either.
It may get a lot better but on hot or humid days, you still smell it.
Once that stuff gets into the upholstery or carpet, forget it..

I live on a farm and the mice here laugh at mint bags and dyer sheets and use them to make their nests.
I use mouse traps secured to a piece of wood (so they can't drag that away if they aren't 100% dead on contact) and just put a couple in the car on top of a piece of cardboard so the fluids doing get into the carpet etc. During the winter, I head out once a week to the barn and clean the traps (I call it "Rat Patrol" lol).
Works like a charm!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ezobens
That's why I never use bait-
They eat the stuff and then crawl up inside somewhere and die.
The smell really never goes away either.
It may get a lot better but on hot or humid days, you still smell it.
Once that stuff gets into the upholstery or carpet, forget it..

I live on a farm and the mice here laugh at mint bags and dyer sheets and use them to make their nests.
I use mouse traps secured to a piece of wood (so they can't drag that away if they aren't 100% dead on contact) and just put a couple in the car on top of a piece of cardboard so the fluids doing get into the carpet etc. During the winter, I head out once a week to the barn and clean the traps (I call it "Rat Patrol" lol).
Works like a charm!
My vette is safe in the garage, but I also have a 68' Mustang outside (project car) that I set a bunch of traps with peanut butter for bait. Then, check them frequently to clean and bait them.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Fabreeze is your friend. It won't get all of the smell, but it take the worst out.

I did the same thing, took a month or two to get the smell down, a year for it to completely go away....

and I'd do it again (poison the rodent), carpet is cheaper and easier to replace than wiring.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I used baits in my basement... and those SOBs went out into the car to die. Vindictive little suckers.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those furry little bastards can fit anywhere. I found a mouse home in the #3 body mount area. (that's the one that you can only access through the access panel in the rear whell well) He crawled in through a 3/8 inch hole. Fortunately there was no carcas, just bedding and poop.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
vetteman1976
Advanced

I'm in the country too.. and if you see one there is usually a family...
i spray half can of lysol last night..today- i can still smell it...nasty..
It seems stronger in the back area so i may need to go underneath up torwords the back carpet area..there must be a cavity back there somewhere!!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm in the country too.. and if you see one there is usually a family...
i spray half can of lysol last night..today- i can still smell it...nasty..
It seems stronger in the back area so i may need to go underneath up torwords the back carpet area..there must be a cavity back there somewhere!!
I started with Lysol, you need something that kills the biological agents...
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Pet smart carries a spray that gets rid of that small but I would sniff around and try to find it first. Go on the passenger side and sniff in the cowel vent. If you get a nasty whiff outside that means he's in your vents like I had I took the blower out, taped a flex hose on my vacuum and sucked out what I could. Then spayed a bunch of that petsmart smell good stuff down there
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I use Moth ***** and Dryer Sheets - haven't been back in years!

The one I had that died was in the most rear chamber of the console - had to take it all apart to get it! I washed the unexposed parts with a bleach/water solution - let it dry then start with the various spray disinfectant/deodorize stuff!!

I could smell it for a while before it finally faded!

J
Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgrad92
Those furry little bastards can fit anywhere. I found a mouse home in the #3 body mount area. (that's the one that you can only access through the access panel in the rear whell well) He crawled in through a 3/8 inch hole. Fortunately there was no carcas, just bedding and poop.
Found the same thing in my car. He also chewed the insulation off the 2 wires that run thru there. The bedding he used was the floor insulation from under the console.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've heard horror stories of these little bast@&$s doing thousands of dollars in damage!
Thankfully (knock on wood) I've never experienced it first hand.
Good luck man , that sucks.

Get notified of new replies

To Mouse in the car? Now dead!!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the back corners where the speakers would be is a good place to look. Also, around the wheel wells there is a place for the mice to get, down where the body mount bolt/cage area is.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Have you checked in the 3 compartments behind the seats? Even take the time to look under the battery. Then look down under the compartment where the jack is stored. Use a mirror and a flashlight, too. You may also have to take out the middle storage (glove) compartment to look underneath it. Could also be under the rear portion of the center console where the E brake handle mechanicals are. Open the doors and let it air out for a few minutes and then get in and see if you can pinpoint the smell. Good luck and happy sniffing!
Duane
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM
vetteman1976
Advanced

Scowering around more tonight and working on the vette, I find droplets on the door sill plate passengers side and pieces of what looks like insulaion on the floor mats...little bastards....

Quick Reply: Mouse in the car? Now dead!!