C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to dot the i's and cross the t's on an engine refresh

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Cooling System?

Our C3s do not shed the heat very well stock. You might want to think about upgrading your cooling system. An engine that runs @ 180* will be run better than one that runs at 220*. 30* leaves some power and mpg on the table.
A mag did some temp testing on this. There was a 20hp diff as I recall.

Of course nice elect fans might need a bigger alternator. The chase goes on! lol

R
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
Our C3s do not shed the heat very well stock. You might want to think about upgrading your cooling system. An engine that runs @ 180* will be run better than one that runs at 220*. 30* leaves some power and mpg on the table.
A mag did some temp testing on this. There was a 20hp diff as I recall.

Of course nice elect fans might need a bigger alternator. The chase goes on! lol

R
I agree on the heat sheddding.

I already have a DeWitts aluminum radiator and it runs very solidly at 180*. I am doing the conversion to electric fans (and CS-140 Alternator upgrade) as well during this cycle.

I also will be Jet Hot coating my headers to keep the heat down.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I agree on the heat sheddding.

I already have a DeWitts aluminum radiator and it runs very solidly at 180*. I am doing the conversion to electric fans (and CS-140 Alternator upgrade) as well during this cycle.

I also will be Jet Hot coating my headers to keep the heat down.

Thanks
Those are all good ideas to keep the heat down under the hood. My Hooker headers are jet hot coated inside and out. The quality of the coating is very good, both looks and durability. I also have the Dewitts direct replacement alum radiator and it works excellent and the quality is superior to any other aftermarket part I have put on the vehicle to date. I struggled with the stock rad for quite a while, adding electric fans, extending the front air dam, flushing it out etc and all helped a little but the radiator was really the key to getting the operating temps down.
Now if you want to keep the cabin cooler look into insulating the floor and the firewall under the carpet. That combined with some fat mat mega mat sound insulation really makes it nice to drive. Every little thing helps. Mine is black so I also got the windows tinted as dark as legal which helps lots to keep cool on sunny hot days, pretty much the only time I drive it.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 03-11-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Those are all good ideas to keep the heat down under the hood. My Hooker headers are jet hot coated inside and out. The quality of the coating is very good, both looks and durability. I also have the Dewitts direct replacement alum radiator and it works excellent and the quality is superior to any other aftermarket part I have put on the vehicle to date. I struggled with the stock rad for quite a while, adding electric fans, extending the front air dam, flushing it out etc and all helped a little but the radiator was really the key to getting the operating temps down.
Now if you want to keep the cabin cooler look into insulating the floor and the firewall under the carpet. That combined with some fat mat mega mat sound insulation really makes it nice to drive. Every little thing helps. Mine is black so I also got the windows tinted as dark as legal which helps lots to keep cool on sunny hot days, pretty much the only time I drive it.
Done. When i tore out the interior, I replaced all the seals, put down sound insulation as well as reflectix under the new carpet.

Cabin is nice and A/C is just fine
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Done. When i tore out the interior, I replaced all the seals, put down sound insulation as well as reflectix under the new carpet.

Cabin is nice and A/C is just fine
I hear that. Before the reflectix it wasa struggle to keep it cool in the cabin. After it was much better. Extending the air dam made a big difference in the a/c performance while cruising. I went one step farther and put in the C4 circulation fan and now my wife complains it's too cold even on 100*+ days. Hoowah!

Quick Reply: Looking to dot the i's and cross the t's on an engine refresh