C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard Brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Shabbarroo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Brakes question

I have a 71 Ray that when puchased had drums and standard brakes. It now has rotors all the way around and am wanting to add power to them. After removing the master cylinder from the wall, the new bolt pattern and main hole where the brake rod comes through are nowhere close to each other. It doesnt look like a simple job to change this out, any input from fellow vette enthusiast?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Guyddog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shabbarroo
I have a 71 Ray that when puchased had drums and standard brakes. It now has rotors all the way around and am wanting to add power to them. After removing the master cylinder from the wall, the new bolt pattern and main hole where the brake rod comes through are nowhere close to each other. It doesnt look like a simple job to change this out, any input from fellow vette enthusiast?
All vettes from '65 tp 82 were disc brakes, drums were only on 63-64 and some '65's.
The MC are different between the manual and Power brakes as is the bolt pattern for the booster and M/C
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have converted many manual brake 68-72 Corvettes. Other than modifying the firewall for the booster. The only issue I have run into is the clevis that threads on the shaft of the booster may need to be slightly lengthened.

Also...if your oil dipstick is on the left side of the engine. Using a booster for a Corvette who's oil dipstick is located on the right side of the engine can cause for some tight tolerance issues. If using the later booster for lets say an 1982...it will make it hard to correctly access your oil dipstick. Modifications to it (dipstick) will need to be made. Sometime slightly rotating it will work...but that depends on if the tube is seized in the engine block.

DUB
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Zip sells a kit to change the brake system from manual to power. Look at DB-50071.

Get notified of new replies

To Standard Brakes question

Quick Reply: Standard Brakes question