C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Needs Advise on Possible '81 Vette Purchase

Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 PM
81_L-81_4-Speed
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
I've rebuilt far worse... not a bad project car. You will have to disassemble the front. However the front window doesn't have smoke damage on the inside - it seems all the damage is basically cosmetic. The only question mark is how much water got in the motor putting out the fire, and how long it was there.

also it looks like it had a cast iron intake - a salvation in this case because it didn't let fire, water and grit into the motor when the fire was put out
The seller told me the birdcage, front window, cowl and interior weren't damaged. To me it looks mostly cosmetic, along with some wiring, accessories, hoses, belts, etc. I realize I'm in for replacing some stuff, to the extent at this point I can't say for certain since I haven't seen it in person yet.

He also told me he put out the fire by draping clothes on it and throwing dirt on it. From the looks of the air cleaner being intact the motor may have been saved from getting a lot of debris in it.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
81_L-81_4-Speed
Cruising

Originally Posted by texasbaehr
This would be an ambitious project!
Look the cowl over real good. If there is any fire damage to the cowl then its almost not worth fixing the car. If just the front clip and you can get one that cheap then its salvagable if you can do all the work. If you have to pay others to do the repair work you will spend more than the car is worth even before you paint.
The wire harness is most likely shot and replacing that is a major PIA, lots of disassembly work and many many hours of troubleshooting.
There is a mass of vacuum lines under the hood that will need to be replaced for the evap system, headlights, etc. That will also be a PIA to rebuild.
Just my 2cents
The only way I would even think about buying it is because I would do as much work on it myself as possible - replacing the clip, pulling/tearing down the motor and take the front down to the frame as Sixfooter suggested, replacing wiring, hoses, vacuum lines, accessories, suspension etc. I would tag and label all remaining wiring, lines and hoses and work my way back toward the cowl to see what would be needed to be replaced.

Plus having you guys around as a resource to answer my questions and guide me through it as I go along would be an invaluable asset to my cause.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
81_L-81_4-Speed
Cruising

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Nope. This one had a BIG fire. I am sure the insurance company totaled it. Pics are from nearly three years ago. What does it look like now? Fire damaged fiberglass is almost never repairable. You're looking at replacing the damage, not repairing it.

There are no 82 four speeds.

Mike the seller told me he has the pink in hand; I don't think he filed a claim for it but I'm not for certain. I will definitely ask him before going to look at it - there's no way I'll buy a car - even a 'Vette - that has a salvage title.

My bad - I knew no 4 speeds were made in 82, I just spaced on that one...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
81_L-81_4-Speed
Cruising

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
im sorry, i see a parts car. the radiator probably melted th solder joints and a thousand other things. can it be repaired ? yes. is it worth doing ,probably not. i wouldn't pay 2k in any event , offer less if he says no let the guy start a museum.
The seller told me on the phone that someone offered him $1,700 for the wheels and tires only - he told the guy that he could have the rims, tires and the entire car for $2K - the guy didn't bite. From the sounds of it he's sticking to his guns with asking $2K for it...

I like that idea - Ladies and Gentlemen...Welcome to the first ever set your Corvette on Fire Museum...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb Needs Advise on Possible '81 Vette Purchase