C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removal and painting of steering column

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
81$$pit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removal and painting of steering column

I started painting my dash with black cervette central dye and it just runs and looks like crap.
I think I need to remove and sand down and use metal primer not interior primer.
Anyone done this. I can use some tips.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know this seems stupid...but many people apply spray paint to heavy. remember ...thin wet coats dry faster than a heavy coat.

Also...the surface temperature of the column...along with the surface temperature of the column itself is important. Spray paints are tested and should be used when the temperatures are at least ambient air temps (70 degrees F-85 degrees F). Use of a heat gun or hair drier may be required.

Also if the column has not been wiped down with a wax and grease remover...you might be trying to paint on years of interior conditioners....which can cause the paint/dye, etc...to run like crazy.

If you are going to paint on the previously painted column (factory or other paint job)...you might want to be careful on how heavy you apply the paint/dye. This is because if you apply it too heavy on the first couple of coats...the solvents may attack the other coatings and cause them to wrinkle or blister.

DUB
Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

FWIW, I removed my column about 4 years ago and disassembled it to re-build the T/T feature. What a PITA that job is.

I fully prepped the column sleeve sections and then hung them to paint. I applied THIN coats of semi gloss black Krylon with excellent results. Hold the can further away from your work to keep the shine down. After 4 years, no issues. Still looks like the day I painted it.

Hope this helps!

Get notified of new replies

To removal and painting of steering column

Quick Reply: removal and painting of steering column