C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 LS5 Manual to Power Brake Conversion

Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default 1971 LS5 Manual to Power Brake Conversion

Hi I searched for anyone doing or have done a manual to power brake conversion but not having the best luck. Can some one help me find any good how to's? I am pulling the motor and while waiting thought this would be the ideal time.

I am wondering if I can use my new Master Cylinder of if that is not compatible. I see a 4 bolt pattern on the fire wall and only using two bolts do I have to open the fire wall center? Lots of questions so a sticky or good post would more than likely answer my questions.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I put this conversion at about a 3.5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale of typical mods, but it's certainly not out of reach if you know which end of a screwdriver to hit with. Biggest pain is that the work up under the dash will test your patience. It will help immensely if you have an AIM (if you don't, buy one first), but here are a couple of the more significant things you'll run into...

Pushrod is different.
MC bore size is different.
MC mount location thru firewall is different, some cutting required.
Clevis to brake pedal location is different, but the hole is already there.

Having already done so before on another shark, I'm contemplating going the other direction (to manual) on my '78 for the improved feel. So, if you decide to make the swap I can certainly give your manual push rod a good home.

HTH

Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts

I am also going to convert to power brakes. I have collected all the parts but I am in the middle of a complete restoration so I should have a relatively easier time especially since my interior is out and I am also installing a 5 speed. Here is a link that I saved.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1577865335
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 PM
SD71VETTE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it to my 71 LS-5 last year. Best thing I did. I researched a lot of posts on the forum and found many that were very useful.

It's not that difficult but get used to working in tight spaces. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the complete factory installation of the optional power brakes, lists all the parts required, lists the original GM part numbers for everything, and provides diagrams.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 LS5 Manual to Power Brake Conversion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1971 LS5 Manual to Power Brake Conversion