C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced driveshaft u-joints on the 82 and did the unthinkable!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Mid-Years Forever!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alswagg
The driveshafts and half shafts both work at minimal angles. I alway prefer sold cross piece "perma-lube" joints. On several of our 4X4's we use sold cap/cross piece including no needle bearings, only bushings. These are usually 5 times stronger than the best Dana Joint available. To this date we have not broken any of these type joints. Thus saving several custon axle shafts. Oh, I also like full circle clips, they are more likely to stay put under severe conditions. Al
alswagg,

Not busting chops, just confused:

Am I correct in assuming that the same typo occurred twice, and you mean "solid" cross-piece "perma-lube" joints when you typed "sold"?

Now, I'll show my ignorance:
Can you please explain what is a NON-"solid" cross-piece u-joint? I've never heard of that, and can't imagine anything but a solid one.

Also, I've seen OEM u-joints with no zerk fitting--is that what you mean by "perma-lube?" If so (or if not--LOL) why is that better than having a greaseable one?

And lastly, I never even heard of bushings in u-joints, instead of needle bearings.

So, as you can see, you really "rattled my tree" with your brief post.
I didn't know how much I didn't know about u-joints.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Ravoll
Instructor

Can anyone tell me the proper U Joint sizes for an 80-81 with an automatic.

I have measured what I have:
Drive shaft
1.06" = 1 1/16 cap
3.22" = 3 1/4 width

Half shafts
1.06" = 1 1/16 cap
3.62" = 3 5/8 width

Corvette Central 's parts description say's drive and half shaft are the same (582151). Apparently I have something special? It is rather confusing.

Thing is my VIN points to a 79 L48,but it's sitting on an 80 or 81 frame with a DANA 44 rear end.The case is dated 11 03 79,so I'm guessing 1980.Motor and transmission match the VIN.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Ravoll
Can anyone tell me the proper U Joint sizes for an 80-81 with an automatic.

I have measured what I have:
Drive shaft
1.06" = 1 1/16 cap
3.22" = 3 1/4 widthj

Half shafts
1.06" = 1 1/16 cap
3.62" = 3 5/8 width

Corvette Central 's parts description say's drive and half shaft are the same (582151). Apparently I have something special? It is rather confusing.

Thing is my VIN points to a 79 L48,but it's sitting on an 80 or 81 frame with a DANA j44 rear end.The case is dated 11 03 79,so I'm guessing 1980.Motor and transmission match the VIN.
My suggestion is to use the same exact size of what you measured. You already know that it fits so just go with them. Use Spicer or Moog (made in USA) and you will be fine.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Another close up of the driveshaft joints remmoved, again some caps were cracked and just plain dried out inside.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello, Tom. Looks like you are progressing well. Most times you can find a rusty dust around the caps when the joints get in this shape. That is the first thing I look for. Keep at it. mike...
Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mds3013
Hello, Tom. Looks like you are progressing well. Most times you can find a rusty dust around the caps when the joints get in this shape. That is the first thing I look for. Keep at it. mike...
Hi Mike, yes I am making progress have not had time to set the rear toe since I last spoke to you. I made notes of what we talked about and along with your posts on the other thread, I will probably be doing this next month when I take the time off to work on the 74. Now that you mention that "you can find a rusty dust around the caps when the joints get in this shape", I did seem to find that when I did the halfshafts, but most of the noise was coming from the joints on the driveshaft. All is quiet now, and it's just one more step on making the 82 as reliable as I possibly can....Talk to you later, probably if I get stuck with something on the 74 next month..... Tom
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have those same u- joints in my '81. nothing wrong with them and they are lifetime warrantied
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by qwank
I have those same u- joints in my '81. nothing wrong with them and they are lifetime warrantied
Are you referring to the Duralast that I ended up using?
I do know about the lifetime warranty, but I guess my main concern is that you hear and sometimes see that China and other outside sources do not make replacement products as strong as replacement USA products would be and I would not want to have one fail going down the highway. Granted, they may have improved their product quality, I guess only time will tell. So far they are working well.......
Old 05-13-2013, 04:04 AM
Ravoll
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
My suggestion is to use the same exact size of what you measured. You already know that it fits so just go with them. Use Spicer or Moog (made in USA) and you will be fine.
That's what I would like to do,but I only see parts descriptions saying what vehicles the joints fit.No measurements.I already ordered u-joints once from Corvette Central,according to description,and got the wrong ones.I'm over seas and the high cost of shipping in our "global economy" is a killer.And then the 19% sales tax and 7% import tax levied at my doorstep makes me wary of spending another 300 bucks or more for wrong parts.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Ravoll
Instructor

Are you referring to the Duralast that I ended up using?
I do know about the lifetime warranty, but I guess my main concern is that you hear and sometimes see that China and other outside sources do not make replacement products as strong as replacement USA products would be and I would not want to have one fail going down the highway. Granted, they may have improved their product quality, I guess only time will tell. So far they are working well.......
I'm here to say that it's not hear/say about china products.I work quality control for companies buying products from Asia,mostly china,and to 95%
what we find coming out of these countries is copy catted junk.I have even seen quality products, that have been produced for many years in this country, be outsourced to China, and return as inoperable crap.
We always make jokes about the Chinese quality control.There control weeds out the defects, but they box it up and ship it anyway.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

That's what I would like to do,but I only see parts descriptions saying what vehicles the joints fit.No measurements.I already ordered u-joints once from Corvette Central,according to description,and got the wrong ones.I'm over seas and the high cost of shipping in
our "global economy" is a killer.And then the 19%
sales tax and 7% import tax levied at my doorstep
makes me wary of spending another 300 bucks or
more for wrong parts.
There is a company that only sells the u joints by size, I have the link on my home PC and will post later tonight, when I get home. Unless another member knows who I am talking about and posts. I'll either post or send u a PM........Later......Tom
Old 05-13-2013, 01:20 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

I'm here to say that it's not hear/say about china products.I work quality control for companies buying products from Asia,mostly china,and to 95%
what we find coming out of these countries is copy catted junk.I have even seen quality products, that
have been produced for many years in this country,
be outsourced to China, and return as inoperable
crap.
We always make jokes about the Chinese quality control.There control weeds out the defects, but they box it up and ship it anyway.
Believe me, I understand what you are talking about. I just read another thread last night where another member bought the same ones from the same auto store that I did, and they failed in just. 2 years. Again I didn't have a choice at the time, so I may still get some USA made joints for the driveshaft, since I know the correct size and change them out again next month and be done with them.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Thing with the greasable joints is...you have to grease them. I shoot a few squirts at them every other oil change on my regular drivers and every oil change on the less frequently driven vehicles. They don't seal up well and do sling out the grease over time. I'm also sure their metallurgy isn't the finest either. I've got about 60k miles of truck use on a few though and they are still tight.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Ravoll
Instructor

There is a company that only sells the u joints by size, I have the link on my home PC and will post later tonight, when I get home. Unless another member knows who I am talking about and posts. I'll either post or send u a PM........Later......Tom

I did some research last night and found out that Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0-L.+5.2-L./ ZJ / ZG 92 - 98 uses the same ones I need for my drive shaft.Now the funny part.I can get em over here for the low low price of 25 euros a pair.About $19.50.They're a German brand,not China-ease.I like the way keeping the word "Corvette" outa the equation keeps things affordable.

Just need to find the others.I'll probably end up calling this company,give em my measurements, and see what they come up with.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

I did some research last night and found out that Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0-L.+5.2-L./ ZJ / ZG 92 - 98 uses the same ones I need for my drive shaft.Now the funny part.I can get em over here for the low low price of 25 euros a pair.About $19.50.They're a German brand,not China-ease.I like the way keeping the word "Corvette" outa the equation keeps things affordable.

Just need to find the others.I'll probably end up calling this company,give em my measurements, and see what they come up with.
Sounds good, if you need the other company back here, let me know.
I imagine German Brand would work out just fine. Price sounds decent.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

So I'm curious whats diffrent about the U-Joints on an 82 compared to earlier Vettes ? We know that the 80-81 1/2 shafts uses a Spicer 1330 U-Joints for Auto Cars and and a Clutch 80-81 and all 82's use 1350 U-Joints. So is it the Driveline? With the new 700R4 Trans did they do something diffrent?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
So I'm curious whats diffrent about the U-Joints on an 82 compared to earlier Vettes ? We know that the 80-81 1/2 shafts uses a Spicer 1330 U-Joints for Auto Cars and and a Clutch 80-81 and all 82's use 1350 U-Joints. So is it the Driveline? With the new 700R4 Trans did they do something diffrent?
don't ask me as I am just as confused as everyone.....
For whatever reasons on both sides of the equation, it has been stated in different places that the 82 uses the same u-joint for the drive & halfshats. That has been proven wrong by other members, including myself. The 82 does in fact use 2 different sizes u-joints. The GM parts book (if I am reading correctly) also shows this. I do not know the actual reason for this, but I assume as you suggested, it has to do with the addition of the 700r4 trans for that year as standard equipment. The driveshaft is shorter than previous years, and maybe they felt the torque and HP did not require a heavier larger joint!!!!
So if you have an 82, there are part #'s and sizes listed in the "sticky". It is better to actually measure the joints you are replacing as a means to double check that you are purchasing the correct ones.......

A side note....I do not know if GM used Spicer joints as original factory parts, as that is what all of my joints were (Spicers), if they did, then these may have been the originals, if they did not, then mine were already changed out once before.........

Another suggestion, if anyone, regardless of year, is planning to change their u-joints during your lifetime, buy them now, that way you will have them, and be sure that they are made in the USA, as we really don't know how long before they will all be made offshore and probably not as strong as what is available to us now.....

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 05-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced driveshaft u-joints on the 82 and did the unthinkable!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Default Great news.....

just spoke to the company that I purchased the replacement Spicer joints from, back in November, and they are going take them back, as their web site has the incorrect joints listed for the 82....
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Wonder how we get the parts stores to correct their listings. I told the manager of oreillys about it (I used to work there and know they have a process but that's been over 10 years ago) and he didn't seem very interested in getting it fixed.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
Wonder how we get the parts stores to correct their listings. I told the manager of oreillys about it (I used to work there and know they have a process but that's been over 10 years ago) and he didn't seem very interested in getting it fixed.
ok, doing a little research for the 82, hope this all makes sense....
this info will also be listed in the "sticky"
These measurements are based on my 82 and info from other members concerning the u-joints for the 82 only, although they may fit other years......

Driveshaft 1 1/16" (1.062) cap size......3 5/16" (3.312) length

Halfshaft 1 3/16" (1.188) cap size......3 5/8" (3.625) length

I have checked out different parts stores and some of our vendors, the majority of them have incorrect listings to say the least for the 82. Even a well know driveshaft shop IMO has the cap diamenter for both shafts as the same, which is incorrect. They may be the same for other years, but our 82 is different. As I mentioned before, check the dimensions of your u-joints to make sure you are ordering the correct ones. I know for a fact that the MOOG Solids (USA) # 231 are correct for the halfshafts and most certain that part # 254 are correct for the driveshaft. Hopefully this will save a lot of frustration when changing out the joints.....

Quick Reply: Replaced driveshaft u-joints on the 82 and did the unthinkable!!!