C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake Compatibility

I have a motor with an intake Casting # 3885069. I want to replace that Intake with 3937797.

Can I do this swap? Without having to get different heads or something?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have any info?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Default intake

Should be an easy direct swap
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

The castings numbers are both for a square port BB. But you are going from the Holley square bore to 3 two barrel carbs. I don't find any issues if both manifolds are dimensionally as new. But u have to consider any intake over 40 yrs old could have some machine work/milling to match an engine that required it. Or in reverse your current block and intake may have been milled to fit and a replacement intake is stock form may not fit without machining.
Just something to be aware of.

Hope this helps u more than scares u,
cardo0
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by genuine1980
I have a motor with an intake Casting # 3885069. I want to replace that Intake with 3937797.

Can I do this swap? Without having to get different heads or something?
As far as the manifolds connecting with the heads, there is no issue if all are still stock original (no excessive machine work).

As Cardo points out, you do need something - three Holley two barrels and a triangular air cleaner.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cardo0
The castings numbers are both for a square port BB. But you are going from the Holley square bore to 3 two barrel carbs. I don't find any issues if both manifolds are dimensionally as new. But u have to consider any intake over 40 yrs old could have some machine work/milling to match an engine that required it. Or in reverse your current block and intake may have been milled to fit and a replacement intake is stock form may not fit without machining.
Just something to be aware of.

Hope this helps u more than scares u,
cardo0

Ok, I will ask the seller of the new intake I'm getting to see if it was milled or modified in any way. I hope not.

Assuming the intake was not, what are the chances that the engine and intake I currently have are milled?
The block is a Chevy block, casting # 3999289 (which is a 454 block from 1974), and the heads are also GM (I don't remember the casting# but when I had it open I remember it said Hi-Perf), I have solid lifters if that makes a difference...
So would my current configuration be miller for some reason being they are all GM compatible parts?

I do have the correct carbs and air cleaner for this confirguartion, so no worries there. Apparently the carbs have been rebuilt and are ready to go... fingers crossed there too.
I am told that I should be able to bolt everything on and go.

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Look to see if the block has been decked. Are the original stampings still visible?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
As far as the manifolds connecting with the heads, there is no issue if all are still stock original (no excessive machine work).

As Cardo points out, you do need something - three Holley two barrels and a triangular air cleaner.
Hmmm... I have all that. Am I going to need a hood?
I have an L-88 hood right now for my current setup.
OR will the triangle cleaner fit center into the opening in the L-88 hood for the current cleaner.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by genuine1980
Hmmm... I have all that. Am I going to need a hood?
I have an L-88 hood right now for my current setup.
OR will the triangle cleaner fit center into the opening in the L-88 hood for the current cleaner.
I'm not sure. The three deuces fit under the stock big block hood, and the L88 hood is higher, but the air box extends down. With a four barrel, that isn't an issue since it centers in the hole of the air box and fits in there.

But the big triangular air cleaner won't fit in the air box, if it is too low.

Get some clay and set on the air cleaner in several spots. Then lower the hood gently.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes . Easiest thing to use is plumber's putty. Roll it into thin cylinders first, and set them on end. If they do squash, they won't bend anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Compatibility

Quick Reply: Intake Compatibility