C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonehead move!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM
great68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bonehead move!!!!

I was going to fix a piece of trim by the wiper door so I cranked the car turn on the wipers, they came on and went to the center of the window and I turned off the key so the wiper door would stay up. DAEEE!!!! Now for some reason the wipers will not come back down and the wiper door wont move and when I turned on the lights they wont go back down. I found a vacuum hose off of the wiper vac its the one closest to the firewall and I cant find where it plugs into. There is not a hose that is open and I cant find any vacuum leaks. 1968 tri 427. Oh everything worked find before I turned the key off. I have try everything I know. HELP GUYS

Last edited by great68; 05-27-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: no pic
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

is the 'vacuum hose' that's loose a 1/4" size or is it larger? there is a 1/4" hose that exits the cowl area on the pass side that is a vent line and is not connected to anything. you may have the wiper system in a tizzy. the safety limit switch may think the wiper door is down, and has interupted power to the wiper motor. slowly pull the wiper door open and turn the ingition switch to run (not start). see if the wipers operate. if so, just turn them off and park them. next time, stop the wipers with the override switch that's under the steering column.
i can't think of anything else it might be.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM
great68
Instructor

Thanks jnb5101 that was the hose that goes nowhere. The vacuum actuator coming out of the manafold was bad and I also forgot about the larger cam and the vac preasure. But now the wipers are stuck at half mast and the switch clicks but the wipers dont move. I replaced the fuse also and it still doesnt work.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a rubber plug on the engine side of the wiper actuator, remove it, use a screwdriver though where the plug was to open the wiper door.

I would think that at that point starting the car or maybe just turning the key would start the wipers again.

Always use the wiper override, and always remember to turn the override switch back or you could drain your battery. Worse yet, you could end up with a fire.

I'd use the plug/screwdriver method to open the door if it's just the trim that you're working on.

Last edited by DZRick; 05-27-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 PM
great68
Instructor

The door is shut now and will not open. Can I take the screws out of the grill and work on it easier? Is their another trick to getting the door open? I will try the screwdriver trick. Thank you so muck DZRick
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Use the screw driver trick, to open the wiper door, it is in the owner's manual. 68 wiper motors are wired differently, and it is very easy to screw them up by turning off the key, if the motor has not properly parked. ALWAYS use the wiper over-ride **** to shut off the wipers. To just raise the lid, use the manual vacuum valve, next to the round over-ride switch. I did this once and I think that I had to try to gently move the wiper blades to park, but that was a long time ago. I do not know if that will work. Don't force anything! Lou.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

No need to disassemble the wiper grille. My experience shows that's asking for more trouble.

You should be able to open the wiper door manually, without the car running/creating vacuum. Pull back the accordian-shaped boot that's on the wiper door actuator (engine bay - RH corner). Pull (or push, can't remember right now which direction) on the long, hex jamb nut until the door opens.

Hope this helps...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM
great68
Instructor

It was the large hose on the bottom side of the door actuator that had oblonged itself and wasnt getting good vacuum. That problem is solved now and thanks to all of ya'll that have commented on the thread. Now the wiper are still stuck at half mast. The switch clicks but the wiper dont move. Is there a switch somewhere Ive missed?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM
great68
Instructor

Point taken!! The screws are back in the holes. Beautiful car. Mine has a white top also.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
great68
Instructor

Yes I found out about the forcing stuff!!! COST WHAT

Get notified of new replies

To Bonehead move!!!!

Quick Reply: Bonehead move!!!!