C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 rusted rear body brackets

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Where can I get new frame to body rear brackets. they are rusted out, how do you install?

Last edited by SB64; 06-30-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: delete message
Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM
nz corvette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, are we talking the body mount reinforcements? and on which body mount no.4#?(behind rear wheels)
Pic's would be great
Cheers Dave

Last edited by nz corvette; 06-26-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the pic below is what you're talking about... First you take off the body... not really, but you will need to undo the other mounts in order to lift the body enough (a couple of inches) to get the new one in. I gooped some sealant in my new ones (so water couldn't get in there and sit again) before re-attaching with S/S button head screws. Do a search about lifting the body (just a little) for this and other types of repairs... I think I got mine from Zip or Willcox and then powder coated them with my home P/K kit...

Last edited by MyRed69; 06-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default I pulled this from a post I made on another thread.

When I pulled my 80' off the frame the body mount areas were rotted out. I repaired the body mount brackets on the frame.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
edk136
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there any way to replace the #4 & #8 body mount reinforcement (that is riveted to the body) on a 1970 without raising the body? I do have a thick spacer installed between the frame mount and body mount but I don't know if it's enough to slide in a new body mount reinforcement and I really hate to mess with the other body mounts.

Thanks, Eric
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MyRed69
If the pic below is what you're talking about... First you take off the body... not really, but you will need to undo the other mounts in order to lift the body enough (a couple of inches) to get the new one in. I gooped some sealant in my new ones (so water couldn't get in there and sit again) before re-attaching with S/S button head screws. Do a search about lifting the body (just a little) for this and other types of repairs... I think I got mine from Zip or Willcox and then powder coated them with my home P/K kit...
Going to have to do the same thing on my 71 also. It appears the rear splash shields also need to be removed to get to the rivet/s on the back side of the mount? Is that true or is there another way to remove the mount without having to remove the splash shield?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

You've posted this topic twice. My response to your duplicate post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-brackets.html

Originally Posted by rvzio
my 1969 has rusted out brackets on both sides of the frame to body? where do I get new ones and how to install. please help
Paragon has all the frame sections and details. You cut 'em out and weld 'em in after pulling the body off the frame. It's best if you sandblast it all prior to cutting to really reveal the extent of damage. Some photos of my rust repair - my frame was rusted through; my gusset was rusted out; and the frame-to-body mounts were trashed:

Finshed work - you can see the new frame-to-body bracket as well in this shot:

Lars
Old 06-28-2013, 06:25 AM
nz corvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by edk136
Is there any way to replace the #4 & #8 body mount reinforcement (that is riveted to the body) on a 1970 without raising the body? I do have a thick spacer installed between the frame mount and body mount but I don't know if it's enough to slide in a new body mount reinforcement and I really hate to mess with the other body mounts.

Thanks, Eric
Hi Eric, I just did this in my 77,undo or cut both rear bolts, carefully lift the body and there is enough room to replace the reinforcements and rubber mounts
Grind off the rivets from inside the cab including the one that faces to the rear, redo rivets with air riveter (best and easiest way)from also inside the cab, the old ones might need to be punched out but they come out pretty easy
It takes a while but its worth it
cheers Dave
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM
edk136
Racer

Originally Posted by nz corvette
Hi Eric, I just did this in my 77,undo or cut both rear bolts, carefully lift the body and there is enough room to replace the reinforcements and rubber mounts
Grind off the rivets from inside the cab including the one that faces to the rear, redo rivets with air riveter (best and easiest way)from also inside the cab, the old ones might need to be punched out but they come out pretty easy
It takes a while but its worth it
cheers Dave

Thanks Dave for info.

Eric
Old 06-29-2013, 01:35 AM
nz corvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by edk136
Thanks Dave for info.

Eric
Hi Eric,oops I forgot to say make sure you undo the rear bumper!!
Not sure how they are with your year but also check fuel lines etc
I didn't undo any fuel or wiring there was enough slack with both
cheers Dave
Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 AM
edk136
Racer

Dave,

I figured I would do it right now since everything is off of the car, including the complete rearend, suspension, bumpers, etc. Basically I'm 8 mounting bolts away from taking the body off but I don't want to mess with the other 6 bolts if I don't have to. It didn't start this way but the "while I'm at it" got out of control. I wasn't going to mess with the #4 & #8 body mount reinforcements at this time but they are rusted out and while I'm at it, I might as well do them. Thanks again, Eric

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 rusted rear body brackets

Quick Reply: 1969 rusted rear body brackets