C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of leaking brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Default Symptoms of leaking brake booster

The other day my '79 383 TH700R4 started running rough. A/F gauge tells me its running lean. Obviously the causes for this are not enough fuel or too much air. I've given the carb a once over and I don't think its a fuel supply problem. That leaves a vacuum leak. I don't have a lot of vacuum connections on my motor so it should be simple to figure out. The most likely culprits are the vacuum to the headlights and cruise control, and the vacuum to the power brake booster. I've tried disconnecting both these circuits to see if one of them is leaking. Problem is the condition is not consistent enough for me to be sure. Has anyone ever had a power brake booster start leaking and cause a similar condition? (The brakes work fine.)
Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The booster in my 71 was leaking. Brakes worked OK, but not great. You should get 2 - 3 good brake pumps with the engine off, if the booster is good. You can also check it using a MightyVac.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Mariana
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the rubber grommet on the booster? Also, I had that problem and replaced the grommet and bled the brakes in sequence. Come the find that it was the rear passenger caliber that had the smallest leak. It never dripped but it was a lil wet. It was already so tight I was scared to tighten it any more but i tightened it the smallest bit and it went away. bled the brakes again and problem solved.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Update: I checked all the vacuum lines for leaks and the headlight system is not holding vacuum. I disconnected the headlight vacuum line and plugged it. Car ran great. Now I guess I just have to go through the headlight vacuum system and figure out where the leak is.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most of the vacuum lines come from a common point in the system. It helps to have a vaccuum pump to test each line from the vacuum fitting on the intake manafold. If one part is leaking it can cause other problems.

here is what that fitting looks like

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1982.html

Check each of the lines coming off of this and you will probably find a cracked hose somewhere in the system.

Vacuum line kit for the head lights and other parts

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1973-1979.html

Last edited by MakoJoe; 07-09-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by drwet
Update: I checked all the vacuum lines for leaks and the headlight system is not holding vacuum. I disconnected the headlight vacuum line and plugged it. Car ran great. Now I guess I just have to go through the headlight vacuum system and figure out where the leak is.
Here's a guide if you need it.
http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm#top

Get notified of new replies

To Symptoms of leaking brake booster

Quick Reply: Symptoms of leaking brake booster