C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparks...oops!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sparks...oops!

OK, first post to the forum. I own a 1974 coupe.

So, I have an A/C problem and thought I would pull the controller out of the center console to see if there were any obvious issues. As I undid the four screws to take the cover off, I pulled the cover toward me and saw a spark from the cigarette lighter to the metal plate that the A/C Controller bolts to.

At that point I kicked myself for not following the golden rule of disconnecting power before working on the car...at which point I took the negative lead off the battery

So, I could not get the controller to come out of that hole, so I decided to wait until I had the time to take the entire center console apart. I buttoned everything back up, hooked up the battery and took her out for a run around the block. About half way around the block I looked at the center stack and noticed to water temperature gauuge was pointing at about 5 o'clock. I know it was not overheating, so what happened???

I replaced the 5-amp fuse under the dash (what a PITA), but I had no issues with any of the other gauges, so that was just a prayer for a miracle. So, i have two thoughts -- either I fried the gauge when the lighter sparked, or I accidently disconnected a ground for the water temp gauge while i was trying to get the A/C controller free. I still have an A/C problem and will address that at another time, but would feel better if I could get the temp gauge working again..

So now, I have another item for the Corvette "to-do" list that just seems to continue growing...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

John
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

turn the ign. switch to the on position and see if it drops down to zero.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Negative...no matter what you do the guage is pointing to 5 o'clock. I will try disconnecting the battery again when I get home to see if the gauge changes when I do that, but so far that needle has not moved from that position whether the key is off, on, in or out.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if this helps
http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...Revised_R3.pdf

and this
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=27603

Last edited by Roco71; 07-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Thanks for the info Roco71, it was very informative. Strangely enough as I was checking the kickpanel vent to see if it was moving when cycling through all the Heat/A/C settings, the water temperature gauge suddenly came back to life...FM, no idea why.

So, at least that problem is resolved...now on to the heat issues.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had all my gauges working except the temp gauge. Willcox's video helped me to get it sorted out.

Get notified of new replies

To Sparks...oops!

Quick Reply: Sparks...oops!