C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side window rear weatherstrip rivet

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 PM
1970greenLS5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Side window rear weatherstrip rivet

I am replacing the weatherstrips on my '70. The bottom end of the weatherstrip that seals the back edge of the door glass was riveted to the body. I drilled out the old rivets and didn't keep the old parts for reference. The new weatherstrip has a hole that I assume is to accommodate a rivet. I have two questions. What size / type rivet to use here (am trying to restore to factory original condition). And did the factory use a washer between the rivet and the outside surface of the rubber weatherstrip? A front and backside picture of an original weatherstrip / rivet would help. Thanks, Steve
Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I just went thru this with my 75. The AIM shows the rivet installed from the inside and as I already had all my ill fitting interior installed I wasn't about to remove it.

I just glued it with 3M adhesive and called it good.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 1970,
I believe there are 3 rivets in play here.
First there are 2 that are installed from the INSIDE of the car originally to hold the weatherstrip retainer in place. I used small flat head pop-rivets and installed them from the out-side so I'd have a very flat surface for the weatherstrip to glue to. I filed down the inside enough so the rear quarter interior trim would fit.
Then after installing/gluing the weatherstrip I used a 3/16" short pop-rivet from the inside with a 'catch' washer on the outside, (reached in through the small hole in the weatherstrip), to pull the bottom of the weatherstrip in tight against the fiberglass.
Obviously not original but it was what I came up with that would work with what rivets I had access to.
Regards,
Alan

Top one (second one down)

Bottom 2... Lowest is weatherstrip rivet.

Get notified of new replies

To Side window rear weatherstrip rivet

Quick Reply: Side window rear weatherstrip rivet