C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Unknown Wire Hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Credon
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default Strange Unknown Wire Hook-up

I have a 69' 350/350. A few weeks ago I was cleaning the engine bay and noticed a loose orange wire. It has a female rubber plug on the end. In the general area is a gold colored terminal with a few other wires going into it. There is one male stud that looked like this wire went right into. After a little pushing the plug snapped right on.

After going for a drive I noticed that the emergency brake light would come on but not a full intensity. The radio would come on but no signal would pick-up.

Obviously I un-hooked the plus and now everything is back to normal. Any idea of what this plug is for? I'm not really an engine expert which is why my lingo is a bit general. Also, the engine is stock with no modifications.

I have attached a photo with the plug circled as well as an arrow showing the location of the gold colored terminal.

Thanks everyone! Don
Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c,
I believe that wire should lead to the brake fluid distribution block that's mounted on the top of the frame rail just forward and below the master cylinder.
There's a brass, (I believe), 'prong' that sticks out of the block body and is the male connection for the female plug you see.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Well it sure looks like the wire to the brake block, but that wire is tan not orange... wonder if the one pictured is just not a bit faded to orange... can you scrape it a bit and double check.

Willcox
Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

The brake connector is also one of the only round (PIN) connectors. Pretty much everything else is spade lugs. Look at the plug and see what shape it is.

Let see, what else uses the round connector, lighter, ummm I'm out of ideas
M

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Unknown Wire Hook-up

Quick Reply: Strange Unknown Wire Hook-up