C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating a C3 LS cold air intake with off the shelf parts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Vettegineer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riggs--I like it. I'm still working on mine, and imagine I'll start where you did with the 90 and cone, but eventually I think you have the right idea. I wonder if oblonging the tube would help with clearance. From the side I can't tell where you ended up height wise. Two 70 degree bends and how long of straights ended up working for you? Nice work.
Les
Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Why not get a set of fuel rail covers that say "Corvette" from a Corvette. Covers the coil packs, makes a nicer finished look to the engine compartment. In Red.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riggs 74
I used the in line because my plans were, to make a wide mouth fiberglass air scoop that would blend into the Indy spoiler and connect into the inline filter, that won't happen right now but maybe when I start the body work.

I've driven the car this morning and found that it works really well. The throttle response seams to be more crisp when the car is up to temperature. As far as any readings or metering of the new setup, I don't have any info at this time to offer. I would like to have the car dyno tuned again at a different shop to see if the tune can be tweaked better than the shop who last tuned it for me, so I would be able to see the results form the previous tune and the next base line tune at the next tuning session.

Riggs
Wonder if a c5 filter box would mount upside down under the radiatior support. Then rain would't be such and issue.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
greg75vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the intake, riggs. I'm happy to hear clearance under the rad support was sufficient. I might give this a shot.

Originally Posted by minitech
Why not get a set of fuel rail covers that say "Corvette" from a Corvette. Covers the coil packs, makes a nicer finished look to the engine compartment. In Red.

Not everyone likes coil covers.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Guys, if you look at my photobucket site below you will find pix of my up/over air induction.....

NOW I say I'm living in Florida, flat state with huge drainage problems, not on my hillside, but most of the roads have puddles, that will stick around for a good while after the rain stops.....

I have had a couple instances where my up/over induction got enough WATER in it that the engine started to spit, I proved it in the garage TWICE by taking the bellows rubber off the t-body and seeing WATER in the bellows......

SO IF it is so easy to get water into my setup, I can GUARANFREEKING TEE YOU WILL KILL YOUR ENGINE at the very first puddle/rainfall.....

Fair warning, hate to be the hair bringer of bad news, but worse is killing your engine.....I do like that aluminum scoop trick though, and at some point going to mimic that effort....

Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an update about this CAI. The inclosed filter that I used in this setup is VERY restrictive. I was at the dyno today with my new tuner friend and found that this cold air intake setup was rubing the LS of losts of power. With all the tubing and filter I lost nearly 20 HP with just the mass air flow sensor and the inclosed filter I lost 10 HP, that filter is very restrictive.

I am going back to my old setup with just a 4" 90 elbo, mass air sensor and a 9" cone filter on the end until I can come up with a new setup.

Terry
Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Good to know. But come on, how much power did it make?

Quick Reply: Creating a C3 LS cold air intake with off the shelf parts.