C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build up from a short block?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build up from a short block?

Im one step away from pulling the trigger on top end. I have one last possibility.

How difficult would it be to order a 350 short block and build it with a top end kit. Like If I have a complete top end kit atm would all of that drop onto the short block and It be the same as a long block? Then I could have the advantage of 4 bolt main and better pistons and crank etc...

Last edited by Planbmatt1; 08-22-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

if your asking the question then I would recommend just getting a long block that's built for what you want, in the end you will be money ahead. it's possible and not really hard but there are some things to be aware of. it really depends on what you want to do, if you want to build it for the "learning experiance" then get on here and do some reading and ask some questions.

DO NOT JUST THROW PARTS TOGETHER, a properly designed and built engine takes alot of planning before you spend the first dime, and the car it's going in enters into the equation as well (gears, tranny, etc,etc). ALL the parts of the engine/car work as a team and you have to design it that way from the start.

there are lots of very knowledgable people on here that are more than willing to help and give advice/opinions ----my advice is to get as many OPINIONS as you can and then make your own WELL INFORMED decision about what your goal is and how to get there.

there are many ways to put an engine together, you can go the "el-cheapo" route and end up with just that, a cheap piece of junk -----or you can go "***** out" and end up with a high $$$$$$ motor that is better suited to a full on drag car, but isn't worth a damn on the street. my point is, you will hear from people on both ends of the spectrum---most people will end up somewhere in the middle and have a nice street engine (or drag/race engine) if thats what your after.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

In short, yes you can as long as all the parts are compatible. Folks order and build up short blocks with their own top ends all the time, not a biggie.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

That's what I did. Plan ahead so you can get a compatible system.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Well I have taken around 6 months to out together my top end kit so that is complete. Is there anything I should look for in a short block to make it work good with top end?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

I can find a short block anywhere also. Only long blocks and bare blocks.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Couldnt I pick one up on craigslist and get it cleaned and everything by a machine shop And it be alot less then buying one and paying freight shipping?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Like to have the engine washed down,oil galleries cleaned, the deck and milled, etc is gonna be shy of $300 so why not?!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

And yes ur right. I want to do it for eexoerience. There is a whole youtube video series done by a shop about how to out together a short block. Just wondering if there is a crazy piece that isnt included in a general top end kit I would need to complete the engine.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Planbmatt1
Couldnt I pick one up on craigslist and get it cleaned and everything by a machine shop And it be alot less then buying one and paying freight shipping?
maybe or maybe you end up with a piece o crap that needs a crank and rods and you end up well over the shortblock price from JEGs. option # 2 buy one from Autozone that comes with warranty and skip the shipping

good luck do you have any friends that do this? find a forum member near you
Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Yes im apart of 417 street scene and were building a 1000hp supra 2jzgte and im doing part of setting up turbo. I can do turbo crap easily.

How much is oreilys? 4Bolt main? Whats the crank and pistons? Cant be wworse then l48
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Its $1500. I can get one for $600 from eebay 4bolt new
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Have to call around. Crap shoot but if its just a cruiser may get lucky

Went the cheap route with a friends IROC yrs ago knew it would never see the high side of 5-5500

Bought an $800 stock rebuild from the local mass produced machinist/junk dealer Upgraded to the cheapest forged piston for 100 bumped compression up.
Performer heads, a lunati flat tappet cam cheap shortie headers and lots of TPI porting. We kind of laughed about it as we figured it would blow
Has a slight lifter tick as the lifter bores werent sized (what do you expect)
Motor gets abused hes not easy on it still runs 5 yrs later. Pulls like a stroker kind of funny. Wouldnt recommend it but hey we got lucky
Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

We are offering 350 Chevrolet Short Blocks for the wholesale price of 650.00.
We will supply a two piece or one piece rear seal block depending on your application. This is not a roller application, and it is a 2 piece main. 4 bolt available for an additional 250.00 plus core as same..
This is a completely remanufactured block, which includes boring and honing, decking, machining and polishing crankshaft, installing cam bearings, installing freeze plugs, reconditioning connecting rods. The NEW parts include pistons, rings, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, timing set, camshaft.
We offer flat top pistons or dish pistons at same cost. We have an up grade cam to .450 lift for an additional 50.00
The short block does not come with Gasket set, lifters, oil pump. They may be purchased separably.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=271209024465

Get notified of new replies

To Build up from a short block?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build up from a short block?