C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Convertible deck lid Latch Rod and Lever

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:40 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

you could probably cut out the inside of that 4 inch or so circular recess the bracket straddles. then get 1/4-20 versions of these nuts and grind them down to about 3 or 4 threads high and grind off the points that sink into wood. then drill holes just outboard of the cutouts and slip them in and epoxy them and bolt them down while epoxy cures. then you will have machine screw mounting points.
The following users liked this post:
mashmc (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Ok, there is no identifier on that piece, which implies it comes pre-attached to the deck lid. May be hard to find by itself. You may end up having to fab it out of piece of light steel plate and a bolt.
The flat metal plate was attached to the underside with soft solid aluminum rivets PRIOR to the two pieces of fiberglass that make up the deck lid were bonded together.

Originally Posted by derekderek
The pivot piece looks like it has no name either. You might hafta make it too.
It is part #13 in the illustration.

As for making this plate ...for me that is not a big deal once I know its measurements Getting it attached...I can think of several ways of attaching the plate...some are a bit extreme while other methods are quick and easy.

I know I would make a steel plate that has been threaded so machine screws could be used and slide it into the area where I could install the machine screws and hold it. I know that is a bit extreme...but I like a challenge....because some of the other methods of securing it I thought of could work well also. But I have found out over the years of doing this stuff...I find that sometimes the easy way may not be the way that lasts the longest or is best...in my opinion.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
mashmc (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 10:49 PM
mashmc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the tips, I was afraid it maybe part of the Deck Lid and figured it would be costly and difficult to locate. I like the "T" Nut suggestion a lot and will go to my fastener house Monday. I'll fab the bracket and pivot attachment. I think I have got my answers and will share the end results with photos when completed. Thanks to Alan, Gusto, Dub, and Dereck, this was greatly appreciated,
Best Regards
Larry

Last edited by mashmc; 11-04-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Add another CF Senior Member Dud
Old 11-05-2017, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

I did not want to mention these ...but they can do what you need and not have to cut into your body.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-05-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

There are fasteners called Riv-nuts or blind fasteners. They install similar to pulled rivets but have threads on the ID of the riv-nut. They act like the rubber well-nuts DUB posted but are metal and permament.

This is close to the setup I have.

You see you pull the riv-nuts like a pop rivet. I've never tired to set on into fiberglass but it should work since the deck-lid is pretty thick.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am aware of the riv-nuts. I sue then but I use them on steel...not fiberglass. And I do know that GM uses then in the SMC doors for a C5 Corvette.

But I still do not like the idea of this riv-nut squeezing against fiberglass. And the fiberglass can give way. The ONLY way I would do it is IF I had a stainless washer that would be on the backside of the riv-nut. But seeing how that would be about impossible (without cutting the deck lid open to do so). I would not do it.

I honestly feel that a nut plate can be fabricated and slide into that area and used and no cutting of the deck lid needed.

DUB
Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM
mashmc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deck Lid Missing Bracket

This was great, I learned so much from this forum! I never realized how many different fasteners there are available to fix about anything. Here is what I finally did to add the missing bracket. My opinion is: the original 4 rivets were not for strength but were to hold the bracket in place during the molding process. The raised panel frame completely hollow, and about a 3.2 mm thick. I decided to make a bracket from aluminum, bond it to deck lid with resin/epoxy and rivet in place. I have attached all my new components and adjusted it so that the convertible top is released separately from the deck release. It all seems to work properly and I will reinstall to my Vette this weekend. I again woul like to thank everyone that provided me with the suggestion that made this possible. No I am not trying to be concourse since it is a 1982 Crossfire Topless Vette.
Thank you Larry

Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

At least the judge can get the deck lid open to complain about it now... nice fix! Not concours, but Bubba's not here man!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

With the pop rivets and an adhesive to hold it also. I am sure that the flat piece of aluminum will never move on you.

Glad you took the time and did it yourself. I know you must feel some sense of accomplishment!

DUB
Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Nice!

Now put some Zinc Chromate (aluminum primer) and a coat of black and you'd probably never know.

Quick Reply: C3 Convertible deck lid Latch Rod and Lever