C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowl Induction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner

Gee....thanks Mike! Now you've gone and given me a flashback! I'll have you know that it's been 44......yep 44 years since I've stirred any $**t! Seeings how the Generals in Nam decided we needed to pour in jet fuel with the feces/light it with a match/stir it until it was ashes (because the ground was too damp in the monsoon season for the stuff to dry out and be assimilated back into the soil) (FYI)......

So.....you could say that I definitely know my $**t.....and when necessary....How to stir it!

Now that that is cleared up.....had I known that fellow members would have used this thread to rape you so violently, I would not have re-posted it.

I don't understand their outright hatred for you.....you've always been such a nice guy to everyone!

I hope Santa brings every one of them a big bag full of f*****g coal dust......or a picture of Nancy Pelosi.

Now....back to the thread.

Thanks for your service. My father was a veitnam vet.

DO MA NEU!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Kid Vette, that reply you posted "by" Zora is absolutely priceless.
Thank you, thank you very much. Hopefully my attempt at humor doesn't group me with the "haters" and those who "violently raped" poor Mike. We all love ya Mike! A CI discussion just wouldn't be complete without your input.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Thank you, thank you very much. Hopefully my attempt at humor doesn't group me with the "haters" and those who "violently raped" poor Mike. We all love ya Mike! A CI discussion just wouldn't be complete without your input.
Nope, no harm done. I did tell you that I downloaded the pic you made and use it as a screensaver? SWMBO thought it was hilarious too.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 PM
UCVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an awesome setup!

Originally Posted by addballer696
Heres what I did. I didn't do any testing, but the engine definitely runs smoother and the throttle response is a bit better. Even if there isn't a large pressure difference the fact that the air is cold was enough incentive to built the CIA for me.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Punchy8504
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy snappin' arseholes.

So what does a guy go with. I've recently bought a '77 'vette that has been sitting in a garage with a disassembled interior for over 5 years. I want to eventually put side pipes and a L88 hood on it but I was going to make the cowl induction functional.

Do I bother with that and just go with the hood for looks or spend the money and effort to make it functional?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Punchy8504
Holy snappin' arseholes.

Do I bother with that and just go with the hood for looks or spend the money and effort to make it functional?
I will tell you that it does require a little bit of work to make it functional, but it is WELL worth it.

You have to mold the air box into your hood with fiberglass. Not too difficult. You will have to trim and fit it and then fiberglass it in. I made mine so the filter could be fitted into the space in the hood with a little twisting, and then used some sealer. The filter is removable and washable.

The cage on top of the Carb is actually an old air filter cover from a harley davidson I had laying around. With a tiny bit of adjustment it fit PERFECT. I used a painted coffee can and a streamer from a Viet Nam F104 era "remove before flight" air intake banner to cover the carb and keep the dirt out when the hood is open.

It's pretty self explanatory. You will kick yourself if you don't make it function.
Attached Images       

Last edited by commander_47; 01-11-2018 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Punchy8504 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Punchy8504
Cruising

Where's a good place to search for the air box? I've been doing some Googling but can only find the hood "sans" air box. Or does it need to be completely fabricated?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Punchy8504
Cruising

Originally Posted by commander_47
I will tell you that it does require a little bit of work to make it functional, but it is WELL worth it.

You have to mold the air box into your hood with fiberglass. Not too difficult. You will have to trim and fit it and then fiberglass it in. I made mine so the filter could be fitted into the space in the hood with a little twisting, and then used some sealer. The filter is removable and washable.

The cage on top of the Carb is actually an old air filter cover from a harley davidson I had laying around. With a tiny bit of adjustment it fit PERFECT. I used a painted coffee can and a streamer from a Viet Nam F104 era "remove before flight" air intake banner to cover the carb and keep the dirt out when the hood is open.

It's pretty self explanatory. You will kick yourself if you don't make it function.
And I hope you don't mind but I'm using a picture of your car as a background because it will inspire some of the things I want to do to my car. I love yours
Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Where's a good place to search for the air box? I've been doing some Googling but can only find the hood "sans" air box. Or does it need to be completely fabricated?
I've got one sitting on the shelf out in the garage. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Here are some universal cowl induction air boxes that circle track guys use. I used one similar to their 14" fiberglass one as a starting point and modified it to fit with a my 76' stock hood. Mine looks a little different than this one, but similar concept.

I had to heavily reconstruct the rear portion to clear the HEI distributor, but I managed to get a working cowl induction without changing hoods. Mines not as pretty as quite a few peoples on here, but it does work.

https://pitstopusa.com/c-133064-body...induction.html
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry it took so long to answer. I've been busy.

I see you are in Canada and I am not sure it is cost effective to order from Ecklers, or Corvette American or any of those places will have the air box and hood.

Small word of caution, make sure you get the box for the right hood. The box on my 81 was for the LONG hood.

I would see about getting the box from the member 69427 above. Shipping to Canada is pricey.

Last edited by commander_47; 01-16-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Cowl Induction?