C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gauges and tach do not work

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM
fspalti@netscape.net
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauges and tach do not work

I repalced the fuel gauge and when I got everything back together the tach and all the gauges except the ammeter did not work. I have checked fuses and a ground wire that seems to be for the radio. Any suggestions?

Ross
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

What year is the car?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

DID YOU CHECK the gauges fuse?????

It supplies power (12 volts) to all of the gauges in the gauge cluster (expect for the ampmeter)...along with the tach.

IF the fuse is good...and you know it is for a FACT!!!!...you can have a problem at the fuse panel itself.

When the fuse is out. Turn on your ignition and using a VOLTMETER...check and see if you have 12 volts on the outside terminal for your gauges fuse. IF you do...GREAT!!!

Then...install the fuse and check the silver end of the fuse itself and see if you are getting 12 volts. This is telling me that the fuse is getting 12 volts from the supply outer terminal and that the fuse is GOOD....THEN...check the inside terminal that holds the fuse for 2 volts. I Have encountered MANY TIMES that dirt , corrosion have gotten on the terminal and is not allowing a good connection...thus can allow the voltage to drop at that inner terminal . I have seen it be as low as 6 volts...and when I clean and get it up to 12 volts...the circuit functions ad designed.

You also want to use your voltmeter and check if the gauge cluster panel itself is grounded.

DUB
Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 PM
fspalti@netscape.net
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
What year is the car?
It is a 76.

Get notified of new replies

To gauges and tach do not work

Quick Reply: gauges and tach do not work