C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Motor Inspection Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Motor Inspection Panel?

On my 81 the inspection panel has a few 5/16 screws that secure it to the door panel. Looking at the AIM it has a note that says there is a 7/16 screw that stabilizes the window motor. Can someone tell me where exactly the 7/16 screw goes? Does it go through the panel and into the motor casing? How does it secure the motor?
There is also a smaller cover that is anti theft on the 81. How do these mount?
These parts were removed by the PO and I'm trying to reassemble but not having any luck.

Thx
Old 11-24-2013, 12:00 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

There is one bolt that goes through the cover and into the window motor bracket. You can't miss it, it is in the middle left side.

Not sure what you mean about anti theft cover. There is a plastic rain deflector inside the door over the lock mechanism
Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

TECHNICALLY: The bolt/screw that secures the power window motor to the access panel cover is a 1/4-20. Which has a hex head that requires a 7/16" wrench or socket....along with an attached spinning washer on it also.

There is a small angled plate that is attached to the end of your window motor that has a caged.staked nut in it...that is where the 1/4-20 bolt goes into...and there should be a hole in your access cover that allows you to thread the bolt into the motor bracket.

If the "anti-theft" pieces you are talking about are plastic and have 2 spots for fine thread screws can be installed. These go up at the top of your door to keep water from getting on your latch mechanism from the door handle drain area. If you install these...make sure you use a foam sealing tape or some strip caulk so when they do get installed...it keeps water from getting in between it and the door frame itself and that water would still get down on your latch and dry or rust it out...depending on how much lubrication it has currently.

DUB
Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Rained all day today so didnt have a chance to check motor. Will try tomorrow. I did install new foam tape on the panels so hopefully that will work.

Thx
Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

This is the one panel I am talking about. It just doesnt seem to be installed correctly because if you install with the indention out it doesnt appear that the door panel will fit correctly. It wont install inwards because the window motor is in the way. Also, the screw that mounts thru the panel to the motor, I have a 7/16 head by 1" and that is no where near long enough. Can someone point me in the right direction on the length of this thing? Sorry the pic is upside down. Thats how my day has been going tho.
Also, want to put the plastic liner back on this door when I'm done. Yes, PO removed it so I need a new one. I have heavy enough plastic for this but what sealer are you guys using that remains pliable?

Thx
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You need to take a photo straight on and not at an angle.

Does this black metal access hole cover plate have a hole in it...other than the ones for the attachment screws and the slot for the "lock-unlock" rod???

The power window motors are different lengths...and when the metal bracket is attached to the end of the motor...it allows a screw to be used to secure the end of the motor to this black metal access hole plate.

Take a photo of the access plate removed also so I can see the end of the motor.

DUB
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Your picture is very confusing.

It wou9ld appear that a few other items have been removed from your door.

Is the window mechanism in place?

As Dub said, you will have a slot for the power lock. Also, if memory serves me, there is a small guard over the lock rod.

You may want to check the pictures in this link. It is a different year, but the cover is very similar.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...r-replacement/.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Dub,

The panel is correct, has the hole for the bolt to motor connection and the slot for the lock rod. If I am understanding what your saying the screw secures the motor to the back side of the plate snugly. So a 1/2" screw should be sufficient.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Default Pic

Originally Posted by commander_47
Your picture is very confusing.

It wou9ld appear that a few other items have been removed from your door.

Is the window mechanism in place?

As Dub said, you will have a slot for the power lock. Also, if memory serves me, there is a small guard over the lock rod.

You may want to check the pictures in this link. It is a different year, but the cover is very similar.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...r-replacement/.

I've used this article as a reference but as shown in pic 5, that is the only pic of the panel in the article. Most pics show the door completely torn down w/o panels etc. I need one that shows the door complete with just the panel removed so I can see what goes where, what parts are missing etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Motor Inspection Panel?

Quick Reply: Window Motor Inspection Panel?