C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Build, power steering bracket, and belt alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:14 AM
Spencer England
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 Build, power steering bracket, and belt alignment issues

Hello,

1) First off I have a 69 Stingray, but its all original. So, I am building my first "custom" (somewhat) vette. I am building a 78 for my wife. (Cheap and worthless lol). Anyway, The 400 sm blk is out of a 70 Impala. Its all in and set up minus the brackets for the power steering pump. DO I actually need vette brackets? Are the standard chevy ones not good enough? Too bulky?

2) Also, do I need to buy the "Vette" water pump, fan pulley, and crank pulley? With the standard alternator bracket most of the belts don't seem to line up. And crank pulley is long and has several pulley slots in it. Doesn't look like I need more than a couple.

Thx for any responses.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer England
Hello,

1) First off I have a 69 Stingray, but its all original. So, I am building my first "custom" (somewhat) vette. I am building a 78 for my wife. (Cheap and worthless lol). Anyway, The 400 sm blk is out of a 70 Impala. Its all in and set up minus the brackets for the power steering pump. DO I actually need vette brackets? Are the standard chevy ones not good enough? Too bulky?

2) Also, do I need to buy the "Vette" water pump, fan pulley, and crank pulley? With the standard alternator bracket most of the belts don't seem to line up. And crank pulley is long and has several pulley slots in it. Doesn't look like I need more than a couple.

Thx for any responses.
Yes...get a Corvette P/S pump bracket(s).

You might have to replace the P/S pump due to the design changed from 1970 to 1978...so the pulleys are different...and YES there are 2 grooves on the crank pulley and a pulley all by itself that works the P/S system.

Yes...you have to pick a year and get the parts for it. Everything need to "groove" together or you will have pulley groove mis-alignment.

DUB
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 PM
BB2B
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found when I put a 400 in my 69 with a stock water pump and crank pulley that I needed to shim the fan pulley out to get it to line up with the crank pulley. Shim kits are readily available as this is apparently a very common problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 Build, power steering bracket, and belt alignment issues

Quick Reply: 1977 Build, power steering bracket, and belt alignment issues