C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding an alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM
DWinTX
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Rebuilding an alternator

Hi, I have a 70 350/350 w/AC. It's a rolling project, most of it is original and never restored as best I can tell. This weekend I drove it for the first time in about a month. It sits outside for now, and had rained quite a bit in that month. It was stumbling badly off idle, so much so that it would barley run. It revved OK in neutral, but wouldn't run under load. I checked under the distributor cap since it had been so wet, but it was dry.

I noticed that the ammeter was nearly pegging, and after shutting it down I heard the battery hissing. It was late and I didn't have any time to do testing, but I'm guessing the voltage regulator is gone. I've determined (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is 10si series (part# 1100884) alternator and found a number of rebuild kits on the Quick Start site.

They have several kits, some are just the VR, diode trio and brush holder. Others include a bridge rectifier and/or stator. The stator upgrades it from 61 to 80 amps.

So if you were going to rebuild it, would you get the bridge rectifier or stator? Here are the options I saw:

http://store.alternatorparts.com/10s...epair-kit.aspx
http://store.alternatorparts.com/10s...rsion-kit.aspx
http://store.alternatorparts.com/10s...epair-kit.aspx

Also, could the stumbling have anything to do with the overcharging? Before I noticed the ammeter, I thought the carb had gotten plugged up or something and swapped an extra Holley I had sitting around on there. I had planned on rebuilding the one that was on it anyway. Acted just the same. I have a Pertronix unit on it so maybe that could be affected by the overcharging?

Only other thing I could think of that would be the fuel pump not supplying enough pressure. The carb I put on had only been run for about 100 miles, though it's been sitting a while. Still seems unlikely that two carbs would show the same problem. Another possibility might be that water had gotten into the tank. The gasket on the cap is pretty brittle. Going to try some HEET for that.

Last edited by DWinTX; 12-02-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:44 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You can get away with only the cheap kit if the rectifier diodes check out OK. You might need the stator kit if you plan on adding extra load that requires the higher output. However, if you plan on that, I would recommend upgrading to a CS130 type alternator which can output more current at idle then your 10SI is rated to output.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:07 PM
DWinTX
Instructor

About the only thing I plan on adding is a stereo. It was a radio delete car. I'll probably add an aftermarket stereo and maybe a small amp. No subwoofer or anything, just either 2 or 4 speakers depending on what I could fit in there.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You'll be fine with the stock rated alternator then.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM
DWinTX
Instructor

OK, thanks Lionel.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

your bubbling battery may be overcharging..
check the output voltage of the alternator, both at idle and higher RPMs.. also test the voltage at load ( headlights/fan/wipers/AC full on)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

10si alternators are cheap and easy to rebuild. If you're going to the trouble of pulling it off the car, re-do it completely.

http://alternatorparts.com/repair_ma...-contents.html
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM
DWinTX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
10si alternators are cheap and easy to rebuild. If you're going to the trouble of pulling it off the car, re-do it completely.

http://alternatorparts.com/repair_ma...-contents.html
Yep, that's what I did. Got the deluxe kit and a set of bearings.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by DWinTX
Yep, that's what I did. Got the deluxe kit and a set of bearings.
That's a coveted little piece of equipment you have there, treat it with care.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 PM
DWinTX
Instructor

I'm coming to realize that!. Funny how just a couple of numbers stamped in some metal change the value so much in this hobby.

That's why I decided to rebuild it. Originally I was just going to get a $40 alternator from the local parts store and slap on there, but when I realized what this one was worth I figured I better keep it on the car so I don't lose it.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Naw! You should go with the CS130 and sell me that old junky alternator......
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Or you can do what I did which was remove the OEM alternator, rebuild it, and put it aside. I replaced mine with a CS-144 140 amp one that fit right in with no issues and is one of the best alternators GM used in recent years. Charges like a champ at idle. The only high amp draw I have on my car is 4 Hella Euro halogen lights 55/60 watt lows and 100 watt highs-the highs are on a relay pulling power directly from the battery lead attached to the alternator.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Or you can do what I did which was remove the OEM alternator, rebuild it, and put it aside. I replaced mine with a CS-144 140 amp one that fit right in with no issues and is one of the best alternators GM used in recent years. Charges like a champ at idle. The only high amp draw I have on my car is 4 Hella Euro halogen lights 55/60 watt lows and 100 watt highs-the highs are on a relay pulling power directly from the battery lead attached to the alternator.
Nice lights.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding an alternator

Quick Reply: Rebuilding an alternator