C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SI alternator wiring question on 74

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:39 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Default SI alternator wiring question on 74

Gentlemen,

Im having a hard time deciphering wiring diagrams. I am working on the voltage regulator two prong connector on the alternator and the main power-up wire to the dash.

Question 1. My Limited Lectric wiring diagram for 74 seems to be missing the brown wire that connects to the #1 pin (field) on the alternator (pen point to finger tip). Where does that wire actually go? What does it do?

Question 2. This diagram kinda shows what I have now. I am trying to clean up the "nasty splice". I added a red line in to show the current #2 (sensing) wire that attaches to a splice between the junction block and the dash power wire.

What would happen if I ran the #2 sensing wire to the junction block, instead of that splice into the main power up wire? (dash line)
Thank you,
John

***Update***
I got Mark from MADelectrical.com on the phone and he recommend to go ahead and delete the splice and run the main power and fusible link to the terminal block and a separate wire from the voltage sensing pin on the alternator to the terminal block.

Last edited by johnt365; 12-18-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

1. Should be part of the ammeter circuit
http://willcoxcorvette.com/popup_ima...b64d0ccadcbf73
Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by johnt365

Question 1. My Limited Lectric wiring diagram for 74 seems to be missing the brown wire that connects to the #1 pin (field) on the alternator (pen point to finger tip). Where does that wire actually go? What does it do?
The FIELD wire should go to a SWITCHED source - so whatever is on with the ignition would be fine

Think of it as a switch that "turns the alternator on"

Question 2. This diagram kinda shows what I have now. I am trying to clean up the "nasty splice". I added a red line in to show the current #2 (sensing) wire that attaches to a splice between the junction block and the dash power wire.

What would happen if I ran the #2 sensing wire to the junction block, instead of that splice into the main power up wire? (dash line)
That will work

Interesting that the wire is missing from the harness - perhaps ordered for a "1 wire" alternator (I have no idea if Lectric Limited offers that - or assumes it!!)

Last edited by pws69; 12-19-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To SI alternator wiring question on 74

Quick Reply: SI alternator wiring question on 74