Share Your C3 Upgraded Wheel/Tire Combo's - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Share Your C3 Upgraded Wheel/Tire Combo's

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,038
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Share Your C3 Upgraded Wheel/Tire Combo's

I've read a number of threads where members have shared their tire/wheel upgrades. Moderator advises that if we have enough interest, we may be able to create a 'sticky' thread.

Here's what I would like to see (I will use my stock config as a baseline format for order/capture of components/parameters). Perhaps we could omit stock parts to keep the details to ONLY the changes from stock. I'll include here just as an example. If there are other fitment/parts details that are essential please share. I would like to make it easy for those of us considering upgrade to make informed purchase decisions and minimize frustration:

Car: 1980 L48 with Gymkana suspension
Front:
  • Stock style VB&P rubber bushing kit
  • Stock stamped steel upper/lower control arms
  • Stock style spindles
  • Stock 4-piston calipers & rotors
  • Stock swaybar
  • Stock 15x8 aluminum wheels with stock backspacing (what is stock backspacing?)
  • Stock style acorn lug nuts
  • Goodyear Eagle GT II P255/60R15 RWL tires
  • KYB shocks
  • No wheel spacers
  • Stock wheel well opening (no flares)
  • Stock springs/ride height

Rear:
  • Stock Van Steel rebuilt standard t-arm assemblies (not offset)
  • VB&P Poly Adjustable Strut Rods
  • Stock Van Steel rebuilt half-shafts with Spicer greasable u-joints
  • Stock calipers, rotors and stainless parking brake hardware from Van Steel
  • Stock diameter swaybar
  • Stock 15x8 aluminum wheels (same as front)
  • Stock style lug nuts (same as front)
  • Mastercraft Avenger G/T P255/60R15 RWL tires
  • KYB GR-2 Shocks
  • No wheel spacers, no relocation of stock parts (ie. parking brake, etc.)
  • Stock wheel well opening (no flares)
  • Stock steel 7-leaf spring/stock ride height
  • No changes to location of rear exhaust pipes or mufflers (2.5" pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers)

Include representative pictures:
Attached Images
    

Last edited by TedH; 01-05-2014 at 02:30 PM.
TedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
tt 383
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Posts: 376
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Funny, I was just searching for biggest front wheel/tire for the fronts this morning...
tt 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
redvetteman81
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: antelope ca
Posts: 383
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

nice car ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH View Post
I've read a number of threads where members have shared their tire/wheel upgrades. Moderator advises that if we have enough interest, we may be able to create a 'sticky' thread.

Here's what I would like to see (I will use my stock config as a baseline format for order/capture of components/parameters). Perhaps we could omit stock parts to keep the details to ONLY the changes from stock. I'll include here just as an example. If there are other fitment/parts details that are essential please share. I would like to make it easy for those of us considering upgrade to make informed purchase decisions and minimize frustration:

Car: 1980 L48 with Gymkana suspension
Front:
  • Stock style VB&P rubber bushing kit
  • Stock stamped steel upper/lower control arms
  • Stock style spindles
  • Stock 4-piston calipers & rotors
  • Stock swaybar
  • Stock 15x8 aluminum wheels with stock backspacing (what is stock backspacing?)
  • Stock style acorn lug nuts
  • Goodyear Eagle GT II P255/60R15 RWL tires
  • KYB shocks
  • No wheel spacers
  • Stock wheel well opening (no flares)
  • Stock springs/ride height

Rear:
  • Stock Van Steel rebuilt standard t-arm assemblies (not offset)
  • VB&P Poly Adjustable Strut Rods
  • Stock Van Steel rebuilt half-shafts with Spicer greasable u-joints
  • Stock calipers, rotors and stainless parking brake hardware from Van Steel
  • Stock diameter swaybar
  • Stock 15x8 aluminum wheels (same as front)
  • Stock style lug nuts (same as front)
  • Mastercraft Avenger G/T P255/60R15 RWL tires
  • KYB GR-2 Shocks
  • No wheel spacers, no relocation of stock parts (ie. parking brake, etc.)
  • Stock wheel well opening (no flares)
  • Stock steel 7-leaf spring/stock ride height
  • No changes to location of rear exhaust pipes or mufflers (2.5" pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers)

Include representative pictures:
redvetteman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
redvetteman81
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: antelope ca
Posts: 383
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

beautiful car
redvetteman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,038
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvetteman81 View Post
beautiful car
Thanks. The garnet red/pearl base paint was applied in '94 under PO's watch. I've had it repainted/paint matched by Corvette Shop in Tampa (front then rear) after a couple hits by other drivers. Save for a few nicks from my working on the car, it looks really good. The orig color was dark claret.
TedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Jason Staley
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
 
Jason Staley's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Mid West
Posts: 1,896
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Currently I'm running Toyo R1R's, but I will probably eventually switch back to the Michelin Sports shown in these photos because they have a better appearance. The R1R's are a bit too small of a diameter (26") where the Pilots are almost the factory diameter (26.6").

Original Configuration: 1976 L48 with standard suspension

Front:
Aluminum SPC upper control arms
VB&P lower control arms w/ transverse spring
Stock spindles w/ anti-bump steer blocks attached
Stock size SSBC 4-piston calipers & rotors
1" swaybar
PS Engineering 17 x 8" aluminum rims
235/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires
Edelbrock shocks
No wheel spacers
Stock wheel well opening (no flares)

Rear:
Stock standard t-arm assemblies (not offset)
VB&P Poly Adjustable Strut Rods
Stock half-shafts
Wilwood calipers with stock rotors and stainless parking brake
9/16" factory swaybar
PS Engineering 17 x 8" aluminum rims (same as front)
235/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires
Edelbrock shocks
No wheel spacers, no relocation of stock parts (ie. parking brake, etc.)
Stock wheel well opening (no flares)
VB&P fiberglass spring
No changes to location of rear exhaust pipes or mufflers (Borla mufflers)





Jason Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,038
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Staley View Post
Currently I'm running Toyo R1R's, but I will probably eventually switch back to the Michelin Sports shown in these photos because they have a better appearance. The R1R's are a bit too small of a diameter (26") where the Pilots are almost the factory diameter (26.6").

Original Configuration: 1976 L48 with standard suspension

Front:
Aluminum SPC upper control arms
VB&P lower control arms w/ transverse spring
Stock spindles w/ anti-bump steer blocks attached
Stock size SSBC 4-piston calipers & rotors
1" swaybar
PS Engineering 17 x 8" aluminum rims
235/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires
Edelbrock shocks
No wheel spacers
Stock wheel well opening (no flares)

Rear:
Stock standard t-arm assemblies (not offset)
VB&P Poly Adjustable Strut Rods
Stock half-shafts
Wilwood calipers with stock rotors and stainless parking brake
9/16" factory swaybar
PS Engineering 17 x 8" aluminum rims (same as front)
235/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires
Edelbrock shocks
No wheel spacers, no relocation of stock parts (ie. parking brake, etc.)
Stock wheel well opening (no flares)
VB&P fiberglass spring
No changes to location of rear exhaust pipes or mufflers (Borla mufflers)
NICE! Thanks for sharing!
TedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Karsten
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Brigham City Utah
Posts: 413
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Mine looked like this a few months ago.



Presently it looks like this or did a few weeks ago..



New bearing front and rear, complete set of Prothane bushings, Gymakana springs front and rear, Upgraded shocks (I forget) Larger sway bars front and rear, new mounting hardware everywhere. Wheels will stay the same and maybe upgrade the tires down the road but they are new.

Karsten
Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,038
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Mine looked like this a few months ago.




Karsten
Y'all got palm trees in Utah? That rear area looks like a blank canvas waiting for you to pull the trigger. Looking good!
TedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Karsten
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Brigham City Utah
Posts: 413
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH View Post
Y'all got palm trees in Utah? That rear area looks like a blank canvas waiting for you to pull the trigger. Looking good!
Ted, the pic was when it was in Florida...I drove it our to get inspected, to the muffler shop for 2.5 inch pipes and off road mufflers, Nit picked the interior apart and said to hell with it....Do it right or don't do it at all.

I figured there aren't many 1973's out there left and even less as years go by...So it might be late next year before I get to drive it after paint and interior.

Talked the my friend that is doing the work and he thinks next week he will uncrate the new 375 hp 350 and start putting that together.

Karsten
Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #11
Franks73
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Posts: 251
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I would like to go with 17" Torque thruster rims on my 73. I added the Wilwood 6 piston front, and 4 piston rear calipers. A suspension upgrade kit from Ecklers, with rear sway bar. Steeroids rack and pinion. I think I would like to be able to rotate the wheels. Not sure what back space to specify, and tire size. Thanks for any experience you guys can share.
Franks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
San Diego Ron
CF Senior Member
 
San Diego Ron's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My '77 had the same Western style wheels I never cared for on my '74, so after buying some used Cragar wheels that were in not so good shape and with some rattle can hammer black paint got the "Old School" look I was after.

Never liked these wheels


May not last for long but good for now


Friend said "Why would you put those old wheels on that car".. Because I like the look.


Now I'm happy
San Diego Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Karsten
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Brigham City Utah
Posts: 413
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Ron View Post
My '77 had the same Western style wheels I never cared for on my '74, so after buying some used Cragar wheels that were in not so good shape and with some rattle can hammer black paint got the "Old School" look I was after.

Never liked these wheels


May not last for long but good for now


Friend said "Why would you put those old wheels on that car".. Because I like the look.


Now I'm happy
If the paint comes off invest in some Duplicolor Wheel Paint, Primer and Sealer.

Karsten
Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
TedH
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
TedH's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: Tampa Bay FL
Posts: 8,038
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

This "Tires" thread has some really good info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...106-tires.html

This one too:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-17-x-8-a.html

This thread was started regarding comparison of ride quality of 15 vs 17" wheels/tires. I posed a question about the 17's given I can't find more than five (5) tires in my target size of 255-50-17:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...s-vs-17-a.html

This thread has lots of good info about 17 and 18" wheels/tires combos. I'm leaning toward 18x8's:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-thread-4.html

Easy tire height calculator gives tire measurements when you plug in your tire spec's (ex. 255-45-18 yields 27" total height... near perfect match to my 255-60-15's):

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Last edited by TedH; 02-04-2014 at 08:04 AM.
TedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #15
TX-Techman
CF Senior Member
 
TX-Techman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Justin TX
Posts: 410
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Before and After

These are the before and after pictures of our 69. The first picture was the day I got her home and the others are after a treatment of Zanio and upgrading the wheels and tires. The new wheels are from American Racing and the tires are 225/70R15 BFG Radial TA. I can't tell you how much the tires improved the ride and drive of the car, was is unbelievable and I love the look.

Name:  Our 1969 Corvette 9-28-2008 7-52-17 AM.jpg
Views: 22143
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0666.jpg
Views: 18699
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0665.jpg
Views: 19554
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0667.jpg
Views: 19696
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 18800
Size:  64.8 KB
TX-Techman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TX-Techman For This Useful Post:
Darth Z (05-21-2017), mpopp2002 (06-07-2017), SouthVette (08-07-2016)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
vetteman1981
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
vetteman1981's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Jefferson City Missouri
Posts: 203
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Coy's polished C-5 18x8 with 4.00" back space
and Nitto 245/45/18 NT 555 front and 255/55/18 rear.
No mods to get these wheels and tires to fit.
The wheel width and back spacing is the same as stock.
Vette Brakes & Products powder coated calipers.
Vinylternative Decals for the front calipers.
Steel Braided Brake Hoses.

This thread helped me a lot.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ly-thread.html
Attached Images
   

Last edited by vetteman1981; 01-30-2015 at 10:59 PM.
vetteman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vetteman1981 For This Useful Post:
SpeedRacerMach (02-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #17
Jethrotracey
CF Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman1981 View Post
Coy's polished C-5 18x8 with 4.00" back space
and Nitto 255/45/18 NT 555.
No mods to get these wheels and tires to fit.
The wheel width and back spacing is the same as stock.
Vette Brakes & Products powder coated calipers.
Vinylternative Decals for the front calipers.
Steel Braided Brake Hoses.

This thread helped me a lot.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ly-thread.html

Real nice look vetteman1981
Jethrotracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #18
Jethrotracey
CF Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Techman View Post
These are the before and after pictures of our 69. The first picture was the day I got her home and the others are after a treatment of Zanio and upgrading the wheels and tires. The new wheels are from American Racing and the tires are 225/70R15 BFG Radial TA. I can't tell you how much the tires improved the ride and drive of the car, was is unbelievable and I love the look.

TX-Techman What size American Racing rims did you end up with ?
Jethrotracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #19
vetteman1981
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
vetteman1981's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2009
Location: Jefferson City Missouri
Posts: 203
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrotracey View Post
Real nice look vetteman1981
Thanks, I just got the wheels and tires two weeks ago.
vetteman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #20
redvetteman81
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: antelope ca
Posts: 383
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman1981 View Post
Thanks, I just got the wheels and tires two weeks ago.
I'm just getting ready to go thru my 81 (I've had 18 years), I'm driving my 89 right now.A lot decisions to make.
redvetteman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Share Your C3 Upgraded Wheel/Tire Combo's
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    changing tires/wheels?dumb ?? jim in oregon C3 Tech/Performance 35 12-21-2016 05:41 PM
    Backspacing corvette stock wheels 1979? 79VETTE... Intros 17 05-31-2016 07:25 AM
    Wheel adapter question hamrad C3 Tech/Performance 30 05-10-2016 04:52 PM
    KYB vs. Bilstien shocks Sully1882 C3 Tech/Performance 13 09-21-2010 04:30 PM
    wheel spacers on a '77 panic C3 Tech/Performance 6 11-07-2006 03:37 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: