C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Swap Thread (L48 to Blueprint 383)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default My Engine Swap Thread (L48 to Blueprint 383)

Well, I guess it's time to start my engine swap thread
I'm replacing my tired 40 year old L48 with a Blueprint Engines 383.

Spent about 2 hours under the car unbolting the exhaust, starter, and flex plate from the torque converter...then a couple more hours up on top removing alternator, AC, etc.....
I run electric fans and was able to leave the fans and radiator in place...tons of room

Getting ready to pull.....

Removed the wheel and came at it from the side...

Coming up

And it's out

Pretty nasty in the engine bay....lots to clean and paint.....

So, I ordered and received my new engine from BluePrint Engines (forum sponsor). It's a 383 with alum heads and roller cam.
Dynoed at 432HP and 462TQ. $3700 is a great price for that
I realize it's not a $9000 engine but for what I want and can afford right now I think it's awesome!

It arrived painted black...

But a SBC is supposed to be ORANGE thank you

So here's how she sits as of today.....

I have all the parts now.....just gotta finish up in the engine bay and I think I can drop it in in a week or two.....

Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

What did you reuse from your old engine (carb & intake?)? Also, what is the fitness of the rest of your drivetrain? Any plans to freshen trans, diff, half shafts or trailing arms while at it? You are adding 100+ hp/tq and things may break if tired.

On the new engine's crank and cylinder heads, the Blueprint site says "... new cast crank" and "... new blueprint heads". Do they provide any details on sources and brands?

Any plans to adjust carb and/or ignition to suit the new engine? Have you engaged a local chassis dyno tuner to dial it in?

Congrat's on pulling the trigger and Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by TedH
What did you reuse from your old engine (carb & intake?)? Also, what is the fitness of the rest of your drivetrain? Any plans to freshen trans, diff, half shafts or trailing arms while at it? You are adding 100+ hp/tq and things may break if tired.

On the new engine's crank and cylinder heads, the Blueprint site says "... new cast crank" and "... new blueprint heads". Do they provide any details on sources and brands?

Any plans to adjust carb and/or ignition to suit the new engine? Have you engaged a local chassis dyno tuner to dial it in?

Congrat's on pulling the trigger and Thanks for sharing!
I'm re-using the carb, intake, dizzy, and waterpump as they are pretty new (under 3000 miles). The tranny was rebuilt with a valve body shift kit 3500 miles ago - but I'm replacing the torque converter with a 2200rpm stall

Rear end and rear suspension all rebuilt 2 years ago.
The heads are cast with "BP" on them so I assume they're made by/for Blueprint engines.....

Here is a link to the engine
http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...1-engine-specs

Fine tuning carb and ignition after it's in and running but I doubt I'll dyno the thing....

Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MrJlr
I'm re-using the carb, intake, dizzy, and waterpump as they are pretty new (under 3000 miles). The tranny was rebuilt with a valve body shift kit 3500 miles ago - but I'm replacing the torque converter with a 2200rpm stall

Rear end and rear suspension all rebuilt 2 years ago.
The heads are cast with "BP" on them so I assume they're made by/for Blueprint engines.....

Here is a link to the engine
http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...1-engine-specs

Fine tuning carb and ignition after it's in and running but I doubt I'll dyno the thing....

Looks like you've covered the drivetrain. Stall should be perfect.

I forget, what gears are you running out back?

Are you planning to run the rams horn manifolds or use headers?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:44 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Looks like you've covered the drivetrain. Stall should be perfect.

I forget, what gears are you running out back?

Are you planning to run the rams horn manifolds or use headers?

I have the 3:08 gear behind me....really REALLY should have changed that when I had the diff rebuilt....hindsight

no more ram horns...full length headers for this

Even with the 3:08, it should get out of it's own way pretty good now....FAR better than the mostly stock L48.

A lot of people say they've had bad experience with BluePrint Engines, but they're a forum sponsor and sold on Summit, Jegs, etc....fingers crossed - I'm sure this will be fine. And if something is wrong, they'll stand behind it

For now I'll be running my Edelbrock 600cfm 1406 until I probably go to a 750cfm carb.

Fun stuff
Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

But a SBC is supposed to be ORANGE thank you
The engine you pulled out wasn't orange.....anymore!

Seriously, though, thanks for the pics, I really enjoyed them. I just have one question, and it's just out of curiosity, please don't take it as any sort of criticism. Aluminum heads and intake manifold, and the intake is painted orange, but the heads are still bare aluminum, what is the deal with that?

Now the glamorous part of the engine swap experience is just about done, and we (well, you) come to the unglamorous part: scrubbing that nasty engine compartment down! Don't half-a$$ it, it's worth it in the long run to take the time and effort to do a good job here. Good luck, and keep us posted (that means more pics!)

BTW, I love the clips holding the moving blankets in place, that is a great idea!

Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 02-03-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottyp99
The engine you pulled out wasn't orange.....anymore!

Seriously, though, thanks for the pics, I really enjoyed them. I just have one question, and it's just out of curiosity, please don't take it as any sort of criticism. Aluminum heads and intake manifold, and the intake is painted orange, but the heads are still bare aluminum, what is the deal with that?

Now the glamorous part of the engine swap experience is just about done, and we (well, you) come to the unglamorous part: scrubbing that nasty engine compartment down! Don't half-a$$ it, it's worth it in the long run to take the time and effort to do a good job here. Good luck, and keep us posted (that means more pics!)

BTW, I love the clips holding the moving blankets in place, that is a great idea!

Scott
Ya.....It's an Edelbrock 2101 Performer intake but it stained and for the life of me I couldn't get it clean.....
So I painted it orange to kinda look like a stock 350 with alum heads...
I'll replace it down the road... Getting cast alum clean again is next to impossible....was a little bummed - but nothing has to be permanent!

The engine bay is going to be a true PITA.....

Thanks for all the encouragement !!!!! You guys are the reason I have to ***** to do this!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

VHT aluminum paint looks great on old, dirty intakes.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:13 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I'm running a Blueprint 355 high compression short block assembly in my 80. No complaints here after almost 20K miles.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
I'm running a Blueprint 355 high compression short block assembly in my 80. No complaints here after almost 20K miles.
That's REALLY good to hear!

It'll take me almost 10 years to but that many mile at the rate I drive my Vette!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
I may go that route down the road but with a ZZ4 short block. Reuse my freshened retro roller top end from 2013.

I wonder what Milodon oil pan would fit the 1-piece rear man seal (passenger dipstick). Would it be the 83-86 variation?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Z06Fiend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! It's coming together really well! Can't wait to see the final install and hear your review of the Blueprint 383.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:26 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z06Fiend
Congrats! It's coming together really well! Can't wait to see the final install and hear your review of the Blueprint 383.
Thanks
I will keep this updated and a review of the BluePrint 383 for sure!

I get a long weekend for President's Day in 2 weeks - that is my target to have it in and fired up

Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by tedh
i wonder what milodon oil pan would fit the 1-piece rear man seal (passenger dipstick). Would it be the 83-86 variation?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job! Thanks for posting pics.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by claysmoker
Milodon #30702 looks perfect. It says it is for 1-piece rear main and right-hand dipstick.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Ya.....It's an Edelbrock 2101 Performer intake but it stained and for the life of me I couldn't get it clean.....
So I painted it orange to kinda look like a stock 350 with alum heads...
I'll replace it down the road... Getting cast alum clean again is next to impossible....was a little bummed - but nothing has to be permanent!

The engine bay is going to be a true PITA.....

Thanks for all the encouragement !!!!! You guys are the reason I have to ***** to do this!

I don't know about other substances, but I do know that ammonia based stuff will stain aluminum black. Not very deep, bead blasting gets rid of it, and, like gwank says, aluminum spray paint will cover a multitude of sins. The Rustoleum high-heat aluminum paint looks good, too. Like freshly bead blasted aluminum.

Again, keep ammonia away from bare aluminum!

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To My Engine Swap Thread (L48 to Blueprint 383)

Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Milodon #30702 looks perfect. It says it is for 1-piece rear main and right-hand dipstick.
If you want a stock replacement pan that number is correct. It has no windage tray or baffling of any kind, which I feel is not adequate for anything but the little old lady from Pasadena's car.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Minor update.....
Last night I got the intake manifold and water pump sealed and permanently mounted.
Tonight fuel pump and misc.....
Target to install is Friday/Saturday 14th & 15th ! Woohoo!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Minor update.....
Last night I got the intake manifold and water pump sealed and permanently mounted.
Tonight fuel pump and misc.....
Target to install is Friday/Saturday 14th & 15th ! Woohoo!

I had to remove my mech fuel pump to get the motor mount bolt/nut to install.

Quick Reply: My Engine Swap Thread (L48 to Blueprint 383)