C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Vibration. Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear End Vibration. Need Help!!

I installed new poly bushes in my trailing arms about 18 months ago.
Also replaced the strut rod with the adjustable poly type. I had an alignment done front & rear.
(not confident that the rear end was done well).
At first all was good. Then after only a short while I notice a “vibrating” noise that seemed to be coming from the rear end when I cornered, left or right.
I have been trying to figure out where this vibrating noise is coming from & tonight I decided to corner a little harder than usual to try to find out.
When cornering to the left, the vibration was there but not too bad, however, when I turned right, the vibration came up very strongly through the park brake handle.
Any advise as to what could be causing this?

Its got me stumped.

Thanks in advance for any help.

From Down Under
Andrew
Old 02-13-2014, 06:49 AM
rbowman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, is it possible that the issue is with your park brake. Seems funny that it more noticeable depending on the direction of the turn and vibrates through the park brake handle. I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in soon.

Ron
Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Sounds like bearings at least I would give them a good looking at ,, and if bad I would further give them a good talking 2 ,,, bearings these days are just good for nothings..

My advice covers kids as well and bearings so it is multi useful, cross barrier advice good to make everyone happy .. Except the kids and bearings
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd
Sounds like bearings at least I would give them a good looking at ,, and if bad I would further give them a good talking 2 ,,, bearings these days are just good for nothings..

My advice covers kids as well and bearings so it is multi useful, cross barrier advice good to make everyone happy .. Except the kids and bearings
that was funny
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Rookie guess....... bearings on both wheels have too much end-play and the passenger-side E-brake shoes are adjusted out too much causing them to grab more in right turns when the wheel is "lighter".....maybe.......or the transmission rear mount is loose
Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Some say that rubber is better than poly....The last thing you changed might be the first item to check...good luck!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Scarlet68
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 68 when I first got it. It had not been driven much for the few years prior. When turning I had a vibration or even grinding sensation from rear end. Turned out to be resolved when I changed the rear end lube (2Qts 08800BOPCK) and added the 4 oz posi-traction additive (08800BOPCKT)(GM parts numbers) picked up at the local Chevrolet dealer. Posi Plates behaving quietly now and no vibration.
Best of luck with it.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:45 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also check the U joints on the half shafts. Because they are more exposed to the road spray, the outside U joints typically fail first.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by diehrd

I think YOU may have "bearing issues".

On the subject of "kids", we all have those issues.

From Down Under
Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Rookie guess....... bearings on both wheels have too much end-play and the passenger-side E-brake shoes are adjusted out too much causing them to grab more in right turns when the wheel is "lighter".....maybe.......or the transmission rear mount is loose

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will find out how to check the end-play on the bearings & then look at the transmission mount.

Always something to do.

Andrew
Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scarlet68
I had a similar problem with my 68 when I first got it. It had not been driven much for the few years prior. When turning I had a vibration or even grinding sensation from rear end. Turned out to be resolved when I changed the rear end lube (2Qts 08800BOPCK) and added the 4 oz posi-traction additive (08800BOPCKT)(GM parts numbers) picked up at the local Chevrolet dealer. Posi Plates behaving quietly now and no vibration.
Best of luck with it.
Thanks Scarlt66.
That was one of the first things I tried. It made no difference.

Andrew
Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Also check the U joints on the half shafts. Because they are more exposed to the road spray, the outside U joints typically fail first.
I will have a look at them, however these were replaced only 5 years ago & havnt done 10000 yet.

Andrew

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End Vibration. Need Help!!

Quick Reply: Rear End Vibration. Need Help!!