C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring harness to replace to avoid a short circuit and fire?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
sledz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring harness to replace to avoid a short circuit and fire?

Somewhere I read there is a harness to replace to avoid it overheating and causing a fire. I can't find it and am exhausted searching. Hopefully someone has read or replaced this. I have a 75 convertible with AC and it seems that was model that is susceptible. I don't want it to ever go up in smoke!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:06 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Always have a quality fire extinguisher in your garage and IN YOUR CAR.

An expert member may have info on the harness that you are referring to.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This is news to me. Wires overheating is usually caused by excessive amp draw on that circuit and that circuit is dirty, corroded or strands in the wire have been broken and the wire can not handle the amp draw that is needed.

In your car...the 12 volt power supply to your fuse panel is supplied from the starter solenoid connection where the positive battery cable connects to it. The wire(s) that come off this connection have fusible links made into them to protect the cars electrical system. These fusible links are taped out of the harness so if a problem occurs...the 12 volt power in one end of the wire will be hanging out a little bit and usually will not touch a ground.

Here is where a problem can occur. when some "BOZO" who thinks they know what they are doing...goes in after the fusible link separated and the system went dead on power...and goes in with a butt connector and joins the two wires back together. That is fine if you are out in the middle of the Mojave Desert and have to get home...but it is completely wrong when you now consider that the cars electrical system has NO PROTECTION!!!! And the fusible links need to be re-installed.

I know there was a post a few months back where the person posting a question was talking about the fusible links...and it was in the C3 section....and someone comments on installing a relay or something...or it might have been about dealing with wiring in relays for the headlights.

I myself do not have any concerns at all putting the wiring back to factory...and not installing anything extra. I do have some customers who use a solenoid switch that can kill the power to the system by pressing on a switch...which I installed. The main thing is that you DO NOT want any power coming off the positive battery terminal or the post on the starter solenoid where that circuit is NOT protected either with a circuit breaker, fusible link or fuse.

Yes I know that Corvettes catch of fire and I am not disputing that...but from the ones I have had to PLEASURE in repairing...I have found that some BOZO played around with wiring and that is what caused the problem.

DUB
Old 04-29-2014, 10:07 PM
sledz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found one part of what I was looking for it's on page 46 of the Ecklers 2014 C3 parts catalog. It's a 1975 Heater wiring harness to replace the original for safety. I read it somewhere else also but can't find it.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out Lectric Limited. http://www.lectriclimited.com/corvet...rness_sets.htm

Having a hard time figuring out exactly what you want to do. I replaced my two front wiring harnesses with these. Looking at 40 year old wiring made me glad I replaced mine.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottw
Check out Lectric Limited. http://www.lectriclimited.com/corvet...rness_sets.htm

Having a hard time figuring out exactly what you want to do. I replaced my two front wiring harnesses with these. Looking at 40 year old wiring made me glad I replaced mine.
Lectric Limited is the manufacturer of these harnesses. These are high quality OE style harnesses and I too have used them. If you decide to go this route, check with a few a Corvette suppliers for the best pricing on harnesses manufactured by Lectric. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i ran my headlights off the alternator controlled by relays activated by the headlight switch. i have heard of people saying the headlight switch started a fire( I've never seen it happen) and wiring it like i did would prevent it ,but thats not why i did it. i did it only to run more powerful lights which i definitely got. i agree with DUB most problems occur when incompetent people play automotive electrician.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Most of the electrical devices in the C3 are powered via the fuse panel. For those items, the fuses protect the circuitry. If one of the devices develops a dead-short (it can happen), the fuse blows.

Other devices aren't powered via the fuse panel. For these, GM installed fusible-links in those power lines. If a dead-short were to happen there (starter, wiper motor, etc.), the non-flammable link wire would melt and break the circuit. The melted wire stays inside the non-flammable insulation and teminating ends of the fusible link.

Anywhere there is current being used, there should be a fuse, a circuit breaker, or a fusible link. If not, a dead-short in that system...whether created by serendipity or by some bonehead act...will likely create an insulation fire.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring harness to replace to avoid a short circuit and fire?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring harness to replace to avoid a short circuit and fire?