C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front coil spring

Old 05-10-2014, 07:10 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Front coil spring

I've own this car for almost 3 weeks now - wow very disappointed my purchchase but trying to make the best out of it all. I just got to the point of checking out things underneath. I wish I hadn't looked under the front end now - there are 2 spacers in the right coil spring, but not the left side. Any ideas on why this would be? I did this on my first car because the PO was fat and weaken both the left front coil and the leaf spring, so I put a shackle to raise the left side rear, and I use spring clamps on the front right side to lower it. Hey it worked ok?
But coil spring spacers(2) only on the right side!
Also the stabilizer bar were it attaches the the left side lower control bar is at an angle, but the right side is straight up as it should be -any ideas here?
I measured the height - right side is a half inch higher.
Now I'm scare to look at the back end.
I don't think the car has been wrecked, but I can't be absolutely sure either.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi Bludice,

You did not mention if the car sits square. If it does then does your car have A/C? Sometimes GM call for rubber spacers or cushions on the A/C side of the car to offset the extra weight of the A/C system. Are these spacers IN the spring? You can check proper part usage and assembly by getting a copy of an AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) available from most any Corvette parts supplier like Corvette Central or Zip. Does the car handle correctly or is it squirrely? If not handling well then something in the suspension or frame is amiss.

Can you post pictures of your stabilizer bar and bracket?

Also get yourself a copy of the proper service manual for your car. In the service manual it will show the ride heights as measured at different locations around the car. This will tell you a lot once you have your measurements.

Don't worry....if the body and chassis don't look like they have had work then your worries may be unfounded. Get your facts and check first. Take your time and ask questions on the Forum. Others will help with more info. Best of luck.

Fred

Last edited by vettefred; 05-10-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:14 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefred
Hi Bludice,

You did not mention if the car sits square. If it does then does your car have A/C? Sometimes GM call for rubber spacers or cushions on the A/C side of the car to offset the extra weight of the A/C system. Are these spacers IN the spring? You can check proper part usage and assembly by getting a copy of an AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) available from most any Corvette parts supplier like Corvette Central or Zip. Does the car handle correctly or is it squirrely? If not handling well then something in the suspension or frame is amiss.

Can you post pictures of your stabilizer bar and bracket?

Also get yourself a copy of the proper service manual for your car. In the service manual it will show the ride heights as measured at different locations around the car. This will tell you a lot once you have your measurements.

Don't worry....if the body and chassis don't look like they have had work then your worries may be unfounded. Get your facts and check first. Take your time and ask questions on the Forum. Others will help with more info. Best of luck.

Fred
Yes the car has A/C, and the spacers are in the springs. Car seems to handle ok, and I have an AIM book - I'll review what you said. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Front coil spring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front coil spring