C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracking / popping sound right front

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cracking / popping sound right front

Hi guys. My 70 has developed a creak or cracking sound in the right front, I believe, within the last couple of days. I noticed it with the tops off on a rougher paved road.

It's more of a crack than a creak in my opinion, because it is a single sound that is quick, not a sound that you hear all the way through the movement of the suspension.

I can reproduce the sound by bouncing the front of the car on the right from the top or bottom if I try hard enough. Up, crack, down, crack same place. I've been laying on the ground basically bench pressing the car trying to pinpoint it, but I can't. Shocks are less than a year old Bilsteins, bushings everywhere look fine, steering is good, etc. There's no noticeable performance issue. It's not the sway as far as I can tell. All the joints are newly greased (I thought this night help, but it didn't). Body mounts are fine.

I couldn't find any on point threads about this in search. Anyone have any ideas? It's driving me nuts, and it's only 48 hours old.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Check the frame where the lower a-arms attach. Mine was doing that and the frame bracket was cracked/torn. It made the tire wear funny at first and then it started pulling to the right. Simple fix for an experienced welder, but it also cost me two new front tires due to wear.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to make sure the bolts on either side of your top A arm are tight and not allowing it to move. There will be a bolt, washer, and rubber bushing on either side. Something has to be loose in that area to make that noise.

Like mentioned, check the bottom as well.
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

The frame looks fine in that area. It's all smooth, there's no rust anywhere on the frame, and I don't see any stress cracking or anything in that area. I also don't have any pulling or odd handling or wear issues.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

I got under there and grabbed the control arms and nothing seems loose. The bolts either side of the arms seem tight. I will maybe put a wrench on them next.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing on another vehicle of mine. I searched forever and replaced/greased tons of parts. It turned out to be the lower ball joint. I didn't think it would be because it only made the noise when going over bumps, not when turning.
It's an easy check at any rate.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

My gut has been saying ball joint since the sound started, but I also figured that would show up on turning and it doesn't - unless there's a bump also.

Big job to replace on a C3?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Ball joints are never fun. It's about the same as any car.
I don't know about where you are, but you can rent the proper tools at most auto parts stores to tackle it yourself.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

I tend to shy away from suspension work sometimes. Nervous about flying springs and stuff. I suspect a spring compressor might be required.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Did some reading about ball joint replacement. Doesn't sound fun at all.

I like to keep things as close to original as possible, with some exceptions. Is it out of the question to rivet new ball joints in rather than bolt them?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

You should check them before you get too deep into it. They may not be the issue at all.

Easiest way is to put the suspect corner of the car up on a jack stand. Grab the wheel at 3 and 6 O'Clock. Push the tire laterally and see if the ball moves in the socket. Then grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and move push it up and down and again check for any slop in the ball joint. There is a tolerance, but it's very very slight. You shouldn't really see it move at all.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Thanks I'll check it tonight and report.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by phalanx_vette
you should check them before you get too deep into it. They may not be the issue at all.

Easiest way is to put the suspect corner of the car up on a jack stand. Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Push the tire laterally and see if the ball moves in the socket. Then grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and move push it up and down and again check for any slop in the ball joint. There is a tolerance, but it's very very slight. You shouldn't really see it move at all.
fify
Old 06-10-2014, 07:53 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

sometimes the four retainer trim ring makes noises that sound like it could be suspension related.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Yes the trim rings have sent me on wild goose chases before. This time I removed the ring on the front right and could still reproduce the sound by rocking the front end.

The sound is most noticeable when I lift the front of the car up with my hands, by the front bumper brace for instance.

Haven't jacked it up yet, that's the morning's task - along with pulling the rad in my 76 (ugh).
Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Lower ball joint is not too bad. Jack the car up by the lower control arm and not the frame so that the ball joint is not hidden by the jack. You don't have to mess with the spring at all except when you remove the lower control arm from the car. Remove the brakes, etc. and then the lower joint can be separated from the spindle and replaced.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 AM
junkman123
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the popping in the front of my 79 was a bad end link bushing on the sway bar

Get notified of new replies

To Cracking / popping sound right front

Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Support the car on the frame, and use a floor jack to raise and lower each tire. I found a squeaky spring this way.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by F4Gary
fify
haha.. thanks!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Phalanx_vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Support the car on the frame, and use a floor jack to raise and lower each tire. I found a squeaky spring this way.
This will also tell you if your problem is suspension related. I was going to suggest this before.

Quick Reply: Cracking / popping sound right front