C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
jsera
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Braking in the rain

I am curious if anyone has any solution to lessen the effects of the brakes locking the wheels when braking on wet roads. I live in Florida where it rains quite frequently and i dont like to let rain stop me from going out. I read in another thread one member preferred to use FF brake pads as one solution. Obviously it takes a little skill beyond braking in an abs equipped car but im just curious if there's anything more i can do especialy since living in miami hard stops are frequent and necessary to stay alive and are a little scary without abs on a wet road
Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jsera
I am curious if anyone has any solution to lessen the effects of the brakes locking the wheels when braking on wet roads. I live in Florida where it rains quite frequently and i dont like to let rain stop me from going out. I read in another thread one member preferred to use FF brake pads as one solution. Obviously it takes a little skill beyond braking in an abs equipped car but im just curious if there's anything more i can do especialy since living in miami hard stops are frequent and necessary to stay alive and are a little scary without abs on a wet road
My first thought is that you need tires that are better in wet conditions. What kind of tires are you using and is there plenty of tread on them?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:09 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

what size tires are you using? what air pressure? how old are they? how worn are they?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM
jsera
Instructor

Im running Firehawk Indy 500's 275/60/15's if memory serves me right they're a year or two old with less than 1k on em
Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If a persons driving style requires that they rely on the availability of ABS to keep them out of trouble, the tires, brakes or type of car is not the problem.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 PM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
If a persons driving style requires that they rely on the availability of ABS to keep them out of trouble, the tires, brakes or type of car is not the problem.
I'm working on my own skill, but its incredibly easy to lock up in the rain when you need to hard stop on a highway going 70-80 mph
Old 09-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...its incredibly easy to lock up in the rain when you need to hard stop on a highway going 70-80 mph...
Excuse me, but any C3 is likely to lock up on wet roads trying to stop from 70-80 mph. In those conditions (wet), why would you need to be traveling at 70-80 mph?

Keep your insurance paid up.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

ABS aside your tires are loosing contact with the road. Better tires would be the correction.

Not sure which tires you have but just looking at the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 on Tirerack they are horrible in the wet.

50 to 0 shows 127 feet were the best for this test the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 stopped in 112 feet. 15 feet difference.

Tire size may not be helping either. Can you control the lockups with the brake pedal?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like your brakes and tires are working well. As has been said it now comes down to driving style and that is not saying you are the issue.

Back in the day before ABS was invented we had to learn to pump the brakes to maintain control and adjust driving style for the conditions at hand. I grew up in the snow belt and learned to drive with non ABS cars/trucks. If the roads are icy we had to leave more space in front and watch the traffic more carefully. These Corvettes are old style cars that require older driving techniques in those conditions. I personally hate ABS and the fact that a computer is allowed to get between me and my braking plans.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:41 PM
jsera
Instructor

In response to both mikes:
We're talking interstate highway driving here. I understand that these cars are likely to lock up under these conditions (more so with the hydroboost setup which makes the pedal very sensitive) but the goal here is to find out whether or not there might be a way to reduce this effect. Even using cadence braking at lower speeds (35-50) on wet roads is a challenge when some jack*** cuts you off and slams the brakes.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

If it's over sensitive try a different brake pad. Some are really grabby and make it hard to modulate. My sons Mazda 2 is like that and I active the ABS all the time on dry roads.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:47 PM
jsera
Instructor

I do try to leave myself more room in the rain but unfortunately other drivers in south florida are not of the most courteous sort, cutting you off and leaving less than a few car lengths to work with.

As far as tires go, unfortunately there arent very many options that allow me to keep my stock rims (i love the look). Ideally id throw some z rated tires on it but i have not found such an option in this size.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:48 PM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddawson
If it's over sensitive try a different brake pad. Some are really grabby and make it hard to modulate. My sons Mazda 2 is like that and I active the ABS all the time on dry roads.
Its my understanding that FF rated pads have low grip at low temp making it a little less likely to lock up. Im currently using the oe organic ac delco pads
Old 09-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I do try to leave myself more room in the rain but unfortunately other drivers in south florida are not of the most courteous sort, cutting you off and leaving less than a few car lengths to work with.
I've driven in Miami in such conditions. No worse than anywhere else. Quit blaming the car or the environment.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:07 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Its my understanding that FF rated pads have low grip at low temp making it a little less likely to lock up. Im currently using the oe organic ac delco pads
The C3 holds the pads against the rotors. If you are doing 70/80 they are not cold. When I drive 2 miles to work I measured 150 degrees by the time I parked.

I like the 1521 and use it all the time on all my cars.
"This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention."
http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds2.asp

Wilwood provides some good heat vs Cf information.
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/BrakePadsApp.aspx

So does Porterfield.
http://porterfield-brakes.com/images...6_02_43_53.pdf
Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 PM
jsera
Instructor

I've driven in Miami in such conditions. No worse than anywhere else. Quit blaming the car or the environment.
I have already acknowledged that i am needing to improve my own skill, the question here is if there is anything that could be done to the car to help
Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 PM
jsera
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddawson
The C3 holds the pads against the rotors. If you are doing 70/80 they are not cold. When I drive 2 miles to work I measured 150 degrees by the time I parked.

I like the 1521 and use it all the time on all my cars.
"This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention."
http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds2.asp

Wilwood provides some good heat vs Cf information.
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/BrakePadsApp.aspx

So does Porterfield.
http://porterfield-brakes.com/images...6_02_43_53.pdf
Thanks for the info ill definitely read into it!

Get notified of new replies

To Braking in the rain

Old 09-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I have already acknowledged that i am needing to improve my own skill, the question here is if there is anything that could be done to the car to help
No. Stock C3 brakes with the tires you have are not in the least over sensitive or difficult to modulate.

Go practice on an empty road before you cause an accident.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:15 PM
jsera
Instructor

No. Stock C3 brakes with the tires you have are not in the least over sensitive or difficult to modulate.

Go practice on an empty road before you cause an accident.
These are not stock brakes, this car is far from stock, my brake pedal travel is real short
Old 09-26-2014, 03:24 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

You need tires!!!!!

Folks, I say this all the time-The S/T rated tires available for the stock C3 rims are quite frankly JUNK!!! The Firestones, BFG Radial TA's etc are old technology tires with no performance at all. They are a standard passenger car tires with raised white lettering, low traction rubber, and poor tread design for rain. The reason tires have treads on the street is mostly for rain-that's it. Every car I own has Z rated ultra high performance summer only or all season ultra performance tires for real performance in the dry and especially the WET!!! My 78 has 255/45/17 ZR summer only ultra high performance tires that are AWESOME in the wet. You are flirting with disaster driving fast in the rain with stock OEM type tires.

One of the most important aspect of any car's handling, steering, and braking is the TIRES-tires are the car's only connection between you and the road-Don'tt skimp!!!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 09-26-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Braking in the rain