C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about VS full coil,over suspension now

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default How about VS full coil,over suspension now

Like I have not done enough and gone through enough with my car Recently I get a wild butt idea to go full coil over suspension. Figure why not. So I have been back and forth with Dan from VS. And just ordered a full kit for my car. So off comes the existing suspension, which I have sold locally and I will be installing it on a 69 and on with the coil overs. Since I have a Ls3 Dan said to go with the SB front springs and BB rear springs. Also going to use one of VS shortened rear bars. This should be interesting. I will take pictures of the install as I do it. Going to start pulling off the current system tonight.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:46 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Like I have not done enough and gone through enough with my car Recently I get a wild butt idea to go full coil over suspension. Figure why not. So I have been back and forth with Dan from VS. And just ordered a full kit for my car. So off comes the existing suspension, which I have sold locally and I will be installing it on a 69 and on with the coil overs. Since I have a Ls3 Dan said to go with the SB front springs and BB rear springs. Also going to use one of VS shortened rear bars. This should be interesting. I will take pictures of the install as I do it. Going to start pulling off the current system tonight.
I'd like to hear a comparison to your old setup. Good luck
Old 06-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE80
I'd like to hear a comparison to your old setup. Good luck
Old 06-30-2014, 04:27 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking forward to seeing how your build goes Gordon...Dan sold me the coil-over kit as well, according to UPS tracking it should be here Wednesday, but I don't think I'll get a chance to install it till later next month....guys are already calling dibs on parts of my 68's suspension and I don't even have them off the car yet
Old 06-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
Looking forward to seeing how your build goes Gordon...Dan sold me the coil-over kit as well, according to UPS tracking it should be here Wednesday, but I don't think I'll get a chance to install it till later next month....guys are already calling dibs on parts of my 68's suspension and I don't even have them off the car yet
Mine is arriving Thursday. I am away on business the following 2 weeks but should be able to get to it third week in July. I will give a full write up on when it is done and how it compares to what I have now.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Two pictures from tonight. I changed the crossmember as I sold the already drilled one with the suspension. I picked up a good used one for a few bucks. Painted it and reinstalled it tonight. So the rear pumpkin is back in and solid.

Here is the parts that are going onto Dave's 69 in the rear. I'll clean them up and get them ready to install. Next up,I'll pull the front out.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

nice I have vansteels front suspension,I have not installed it yet. thinking of going with ride techs rear set up when doing the rear, as far as performance goes It will not be enough for me to notice , but the thing im going after is sheding a lot of weight of the car, bigger lighter brakes, cnc master cylinder, l88 head lights,vansteels chrome oly front suspension, ride tech rear coil over set up.then a aluminum engine with at least 650 hp, anything less with a 2800 pound car you have terd hat wont be competitive.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Your tools never sit long enough to collect dust!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What was your old suspension? Looks like VB&P Performance Plus.

Is the Van Steel coil over considered that much better to change like that?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Domobomb
What was your old suspension? Looks like VB&P Performance Plus.

Is the Van Steel coil over considered that much better to change like that?
We shall see.

Originally Posted by Lupigiato
Your tools never sit long enough to collect dust!
Why let them sit. That is no fun. Always looking to change for the better.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm real curious to see how you like the new setup. I've got the VS front setup, but went with VBP single mount spring in the rear. (Still haven't driven it). I've often wondered if I should have put something different in the rear.

Subscribed!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 AM
SLEEPERBUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who did your differential? I'm wanting to do everything while i'm back there. Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by CWerner
I'm real curious to see how you like the new setup. I've got the VS front setup, but went with VBP single mount spring in the rear. (Still haven't driven it). I've often wondered if I should have put something different in the rear.

Subscribed!
I figured I'm in this real deep, why not go even deeper. Hey you can't take it with you and this is my fun money so why not. It works for. Danny Popps winning Vette it's good enough for me. I'm not even close to his skills but the hardware is there. Should be a good ride when done.

Originally Posted by SLEEPERBUSA
Who did your differential? I'm wanting to do everything while i'm back there. Thanks
Your in Texas have Mike Tracdog here on the forum do your rear. Mine is actually a 12 bolt setup stuffed in there.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Gordon I had investigated adding rear coil overs. To R&R the rear trailing arms is a PITA. To rebuild the trailing arm outer axils is another major PITA. So I already have HD trailing arms with Tom's billet parts. Every one I came across wanted to sell you trailing arms with their lower coil over mount. They would not sell me the mount and let me fab it in even though they expect you to weld in the top mount.

So I said screw it and bought the 520# mono custom from VB&P
Old 07-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Gordon, I am curious to know if you looked at the Shark Bite. Also, what about the Vansteel setup convinced you to go in that direction?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ranger24
Gordon, I am curious to know if you looked at the Shark Bite. Also, what about the Vansteel setup convinced you to go in that direction?
Yes I did. Reputation and proven products made my decision. As I have said above looking at Danny Popps car and what he has done with it made my decision pretty easy.

Everything is out now. Front and rear are bare waiting for parts.

Rear

Front

Front spring and control arms waiting for a new home

Last edited by Gordonm; 07-01-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 AM
SLEEPERBUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your in Texas have Mike Tracdog here on the forum do your rear. Mine is actually a 12 bolt setup stuffed in there.
I have an email in to him now. Waiting to hear back.

Get notified of new replies

To How about VS full coil,over suspension now

Old 07-02-2014, 09:49 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sleeper, Mike rebuilt my rear diff a year ago. Great guy, great job! He lives in Dallas.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Yes I did. Reputation and proven products made my decision. As I have said above looking at Danny Popps car and what he has done with it made my decision pretty easy.
I was at the Walter Mitty Races at Road Atlanta - and talking to the C2/C3 guys that were running their cars on the track told me enough positives to order the front and rears for mine.

I had Vansteel go ahead and have the trailing arms all set up w/ new bearings and parking brakes. Other than a small amount of welding for the upper shock mount bracket- it was a bolt in.

Front-

DSCN4080 r
Rear-

Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Nice setup. Mine should be arriving tomorrow if all goes well. Unfortunately work will prevent to much work for the next 2 weeks. I'll do what I can with the little time I have.

Quick Reply: How about VS full coil,over suspension now