C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Located a 200R4 Transmission.. Now..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 AM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Located a 200R4 Transmission.. Now..?

Hey all. I've kinda lucked out and come across an unadvertised 200R4 transmission that I can pick up for my '73 project. Here is what I know. It is from a 88 Fleetwood originally, is a "Multi fit case", was rebuilt 31,000 km ago when put into a 81 'Corvette. Corvette was taken off the road two years ago because of Framous Rottous syndrome. It is mine for $250.00 if I'm willing to drive the hour and a half to pick it up.
I take it this will be an easy bolt on for my newly purchased rebuilt 350 4 bolt engine? What should I look for if (WHEN) I go there tomorrow?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KLUTZ
Hey all. I've kinda lucked out and come across an unadvertised 200R4 transmission that I can pick up for my '73 project. Here is what I know. It is from a 88 Fleetwood originally, is a "Multi fit case", was rebuilt 31,000 km ago when put into a 81 'Corvette. Corvette was taken off the road two years ago because of Framous Rottous syndrome. It is mine for $250.00 if I'm willing to drive the hour and a half to pick it up.
I take it this will be an easy bolt on for my newly purchased rebuilt 350 4 bolt engine? What should I look for if (WHEN) I go there tomorrow?
Check the trans fluid for burnt smell and or metal particles. If they let you drop the pan that's even better.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at post #2 so you can verify it has the right bellhousing:

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...i-learned.html

Other then that, take a look at the fluid. Does it look like a strawberry milkshake? Bad news, means it has coolant/water in it. Does it smell burnt? How does the fluid look? Nice clear red or dark and dirty? I don't think there is a way to test it without installing it in a vehicle.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Amorget
Take a look at post #2 so you can verify it has the right bellhousing:

http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...i-learned.html

Other then that, take a look at the fluid. Does it look like a strawberry milkshake? Bad news, means it has coolant/water in it. Does it smell burnt? How does the fluid look? Nice clear red or dark and dirty? I don't think there is a way to test it without installing it in a vehicle.

Great link.. Thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Here are some of my favorite 2004R links.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html

I would try to get the yoke for it if he has it. That is a key piece of this puzzle.

Try to get the torque converter

Tv cable and see if there is any carb linkage that he might part with.

Also try to get the bracket he uses to connect the shifter cable.

It sounds like a good price if its in good working order. If you start driving it and notice the shifts are a little mushy, I would recommend a shift recalibration kit. I went with CK Performance shift kit and performance servo. The shifts are quick and firm which reduces wear and heat.

You might also ask him how the lock up for the converter was controlled. There are several options for this and it may require removing the pan so something to consider before you put the unit in to service.

I went with a kit from Bowtie Overdrives that automatically locks the converter when you hit 4th gear and unlocks it when the brake is applied. There are other options like speed control and a good ole switch and I think vacuum.

It's a great conversion in my opinion when combined with the right rear end.

Best regards,
john
Old 09-12-2014, 05:48 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Default Got my transmission. More questions.. and Pics..

Just got back a couple hours ago with my 200 4R transmission and I'm ve'ry happy. I actually got one that was pulled from a '89 Fleetwood with 51,000 km on it (I saw the car.. poor thing) and he sold it to me for $200 bucks because it's going in a Vette. He loves Vettes. Anyway, here are a few pictures:

The transmission was very clean actually. As was mentioned here, I asked for the yolk, the TV cable and the linkage which they supplied. They gave me the whole dang shaft actually. (it's longer then the Corvette frame I think) I have a couple questions though.. First, how do I take the yolk off the shaft of the Fleetwood? Secondly, the yolk is totally different then the one on the '73 transmission as it doesn't bolt up and it is a different circumference. How do I bolt this yolk to my Corvette driveshaft when I'm ready? I'm going to drop the pan tomorrow and take a look. They told me they tested it and it worked perfectly and gave me a 6 month guarantee on it not that it will matter as it won't be used for probably a couple years. So.. I need some info. on the yolk and driveshaft marriage please.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The yoke from the caddy won't work on the vette, it must have the corvette yoke, one from a th350 vette will have the right spline count, 26 or 27 depending if you count the spline that's left out.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by '75
The yoke from the caddy won't work on the vette, it must have the corvette yoke, one from a th350 vette will have the right spline count, 26 or 27 depending if you count the spline that's left out.

And of course... my '73 is a THM 400.

Anyone have the proper yolk they want to sell me????
Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Here's a good buy on one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-79-corvette-original-GM-turbo-350-yoke-/171447479974?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27eb10eea6&vxp=mtr
Old 09-12-2014, 09:17 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice buy!

You have plenty of time to decide on a shift recalibration kit and servo now.

Have fun with the project, you will love the results.

Get notified of new replies

To Located a 200R4 Transmission.. Now..?

Quick Reply: Located a 200R4 Transmission.. Now..?