C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ EFI or MSD Atomic EFI users chime in please

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:30 AM
66BlueRdster
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default EZ EFI or MSD Atomic EFI users chime in please

Hi All,

I’m looking for people who have installed either the EZ EFI or MSD Atomic EFI systems. I currently have a 700 CFM Holley mechanical secondary carb on an Edelbrock Airgap intake with a ZZ383 motor. I love the set up except the gas smell. I’ve had the carb rebuilt and tuned but I’m looking to convert to throttle body EFI (either Atomic EFI or EZ EFI) to get rid of all of the gas smell associated with a carb. As background, my clothes and garage smell of gas after I return from a long drive.

Can folks who have actually installed either the EZ EFI or MSD Atomic EFI systems, let me know if all of the gas smell associated with an older carburetor car is gone? Is it like riding in a modern car smell wise?

Thanks in advance,

Ed
66 midyear
ZZ383
Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you sure the gas smell is coming from your carb?Most all C3s have a carb and don'y have a gas smell from them. But many including myself had a gas smell coming from the charcoal canister located under the left front fender. It is there as a vent for your gas tank and many times there is a problem with them. For me I removed the system completely but most just replace it and the hoses feeding it.

As for FI others can chime in.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:39 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

First thing that comes to mind from your post is the charcoal canister. It is likely your odor problem.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

And also rubber fuel hoses cannot contain all fuel odor of modern fuels. Russell is probably most known for fuel stink problems. This problem doesn't go away by changing carb to anything else. Only cure is to use teflon hoses or try some other type/brand of rubber hoses and hope for the best.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I think the posters above are displaying some kind of nostalgic denial.

Carbed cars smell. When I had a carb I had the exact same issue. The garage stunk of gas. This was especially true in the summer as the fuel got so hot after shutting down in the garage that I could hear the fuel boil in the carb.

I converted to EFI 15 years ago and can confirm that there is no more smell of gas. I don't have a charcoal canister and even without one there is never any gas smell.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:07 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I use the fast EZ EFI .. I use there in tank fuel .. It is a very nice system car runs perfect ..
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 AM
66BlueRdster
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd
I use the fast EZ EFI .. I use there in tank fuel .. It is a very nice system car runs perfect ..
Thanks All.

Hi diehrd, does your EZ EFI system have any gas smell associated with older carbureted cars? I've ridden in many carbureted cars and all seem to have some degree of fuel/exhaust smell to them. Some much less than others.

Is your EZ EFI system odorless just like a modern car? I recognize there are many benefits to EFI (cold start, driveability, etc) but the sole reason I'm thinking about converting to EFI is to get rid of all of the fuel related odor.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 07-08-2014, 06:40 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 66BlueRdster
Thanks All.

Hi diehrd, does your EZ EFI system have any gas smell associated with older carbureted cars? I've ridden in many carbureted cars and all seem to have some degree of fuel/exhaust smell to them. Some much less than others.

Is your EZ EFI system odorless just like a modern car? I recognize there are many benefits to EFI (cold start, driveability, etc) but the sole reason I'm thinking about converting to EFI is to get rid of all of the fuel related odor.

Thanks,

Ed
Yes it is orderless
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to save some money you can also get a GM big block TBI and run it with a megasquirt controller.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

I have really bad experiences with the new FAST 2.0... It has been a complete nightmare and will never use their stuff again... Started with a bad ECU which they said was a the wrong wiring harness, sent me a new harness which took a week and guess what.. was the ECU just as we told them. Then the handheld goes dead, then the MAP sensor, then the temp sensor. Still does not run, when the setup hit 140 degrees car just dies. Now I have a pretty big CAM and not a lot of vacuum, maybe 4-6, they told us on the phone, which is not documented anywhere, that the system requires 9-10. They gave us a series of setups to try to get a decent idle, which may work, just never get that far.

I am ripping it off and sending it back to FAST today... there tech support really does not help much, they just relay questions to the FAST engineers which takes a few days to get an answer. Have posted on their FB page, they don't respond, tried to escalate it via their support line, no luck there either... So its going back..

I hope you have better luck
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

With only 4-6" of vacuum you need a system that does alpha-n at low rpm. Alpa-n meters fuel based on throttle position instead of MAP. At higher rpm the EFI will switch over to MAP since it is much more precise.

I know the Holley systems starting with the Commander 950 have this capability.

So I'd think your options at this point are to get a more capable EFI system or (ugh) go back to a carb.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

Thanks zwede... I actually fine with the vacuum issue and understand it now.. Mine has been more one of needing to replace so many parts right out of the box and that they don't have that vacuum requirement listed anywhere. Not to mention the poor customer service and communication with all the other issues...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I'm running EZ-EFI 2.0 to control my ramjet 350

...and it's fantastic. Runs better than ever. Much better than the MEFI-3 (stock that it came with) and better than the 730 ECM that I was burning chips for.

One of my next projects is to weld up my exhaust system instead of having it clamped together. I don't have a gas smell, but I do have exhaust smell so that's something I'll try to tackle this year.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:08 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

I have had a 1000% good experience with Fast.. I had no issue getting to tech support and they always worked to solve any issue .
Old 09-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Folks:

I now have the MSD Atomic running in my '76.

Today is day-one with a two-mile around the block just to make sure it runs... which it does.

More to follow in a new thread that I will start that will have a link to pictures of the install.

First impressions - pretty good... I am using timing control and the engine started just as easy as with the carb and idled very smooth. The benefits of timing control became obvious when I shifted into gear... the load/no load idle rpm stayed the same. Turned on the air conditioner and the idle rpm still stayed the same... Ran real nice with no hiccups or gulps accelerating away.

That gassy smell on startup? I think its gone.

On day one feeling pretty about it.

Carl

Get notified of new replies

To EZ EFI or MSD Atomic EFI users chime in please

Quick Reply: EZ EFI or MSD Atomic EFI users chime in please