C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'78 Radio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Smitty78
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '78 Radio Issues

Hello, I am reinstalling the Original 1978 8 Track player radio into our '78 that my teenage son and I are restoring.

Somewhere in the 80's the original owner upgraded to a Jensen Cassette/radio. He included the Original radio when he sold us the car. Anyhow, there were completely different connectors than the GM and a litany of spliced wires.

I have new GM connectors Black/Blue/White for the Power and front/rear speakers. The front & rear speakers are set and color matched. The Power (Black) connector is hooked up and work but Radio won't Shut Off!

Even with key out of ignition, FM light is still "ON" radio will turn on with turn of know with NO Key in ignition and light won't go off . . . HELP
Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Are there two yellow wires in the power harness?
Switch them.
You sound like you're supplying radio power to the power antenna and then the radio is running off the power antenna.
Sounds confusing but try it.
I had the same issue returning a factory radio to my 79.
Didn't bother tracing the two yellows and it's impossible to see that one yellow is one gauge smaller than the other.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Smitty78
5th Gear

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Are there two yellow wires in the power harness?
Switch them.
You sound like you're supplying radio power to the power antenna and then the radio is running off the power antenna.
Sounds confusing but try it.
I had the same issue returning a factory radio to my 79.
Didn't bother tracing the two yellows and it's impossible to see that one yellow is one gauge smaller than the other.
Got it! Yup 2 yellows. Switched Hot with IGN and radio turns off with car now. Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Smitty78
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Smitty78
Got it! Yup 2 yellows. Switched Hot with IGN and radio turns off with car now. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To '78 Radio Issues

Quick Reply: '78 Radio Issues