C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM performance 12497698 serpentine Power Steering.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Default GM performance 12497698 serpentine Power Steering.

1978 corvette.

Installing my GMPP Serpentine kit.

The new PS Pump uses different fitting from the stock corvette pump.

I tried to remove the fitting from the new pump but it is on very tight. I did not want to force it yet. I have seen post stating you can get a custom Power steering hose, or buy an adapter, or should I be able to just swap the fitting. If I can buy an adapter anyone have a part #.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you still using the OEM valve and adapter, (linkage booster) type power steering? If so, the valve and the hoses were not designed for pressures above 1000 psi. You can see the discharge fitting in the pump assembly on the left. It is your original pump and has a brass 45 degree flare seat inside the fitting and has a female 5/8-18 thread. The pump on the right is the replacement pump. The discharge fitting has a female M16x1.5 thread and is designed for a metric o-ring pressure hose.

I do not know what pressures or flows are set in the power steering pump in your new serpentine accessory drive system.

Assuming the pump in your Vette is original (or at least an original replacement), I would swap the discharge fitting, the slider valve and spring behind the fitting from your old pump to the new one. This should insure that your new pump will not produce pressures higher than original. And will allow you to use your original hose(s).

If your power steering gear and hoses are a Borgeson or a Steeroids system, just use the new serpentine pump as is.
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 07-21-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 540 Posts

Just an FYI, I think you need to remove the housing to get the fittings out of the pump itself.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fitting worked just fine on the new system. I have the same kit. I had to buy a new pump though. The one they sent me was defective. I got a replacement from Advance Auto.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
1978 corvette.

Installing my GMPP Serpentine kit.

The new PS Pump uses different fitting from the stock corvette pump.

I tried to remove the fitting from the new pump but it is on very tight. I did not want to force it yet. I have seen post stating you can get a custom Power steering hose, or buy an adapter, or should I be able to just swap the fitting. If I can buy an adapter anyone have a part #.
Remove the old fitting and moved it to the new pump. I checked the value and spring and compared to the new pump and they are the same. Everything now fits. I also made a new extension for the low pressure side. The new pump points up and the old pump points down. Easy fix.

Thanks.....
Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

just because I can ask I have to,,,, why are you doing this change? does it perform better than stock? More horsepower? I have seen this a few times and I always wonder , Why?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 PM
69schemers
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tyancey00
just because I can ask I have to,,,, why are you doing this change? does it perform better than stock? More horsepower? I have seen this a few times and I always wonder , Why?
I also swaped over to the GMPP Serpentine kit. Looks cleaner and I am told there is less of a chance of poping a belt off. I switched to a Hydro Boost and Borgison so I am running the new pump valve. Car has yet to hit the road though.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tyancey00
The original A/C compressor had failed after 36 years of service (R12).
Also a new GM ZZ383 install.
option 1 use the stock items, but the water pump still needs replacement (zz383 engine wrong for corvette) or use old pump (then grid bolts / pump to fit zz383), new AC compressor (old dead) , GM kits includes 3 things I needed and this gives me more room / cleaner access.

Needed to add electric fans to the dewitts rad ( road course use ) better cooling, so a good way to replace the fan shroud, fix the AC, upgrade the altenator (105 amp) etc etc.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Remove the old fitting and moved it to the new pump. I checked the value and spring and compared to the new pump and they are the same. Everything now fits. I also made a new extension for the low pressure side. The new pump points up and the old pump points down. Easy fix.

Thanks.....
Installed and running. The new pump with the old fitting is working properly.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Installed and running. The new pump with the old fitting is working properly.

I know This is an old thread but did you have any hood clearance issues? Im doing the same swap now
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (01-20-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Johnnypegs
I know This is an old thread but did you have any hood clearance issues? Im doing the same swap now
No problems with hood clearance, but you will need to modify the kit mounting on the passenger side. It hits the upper control arm, and then get a correct length belt.

You mount the one bracket reversed upside down, requires some grinding for clearance.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No problems with hood clearance, but you will need to modify the kit mounting on the passenger side. It hits the upper control arm, and then get a correct length belt.

You mount the one bracket reversed upside down, requires some grinding for clearance.
Do you happen to have a picture?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

the one belt setup is nice.
but it also makes it hard to find noisy
stuff and if something like AC
compressor locks up, well lets say I had an experience where the the car was not usable because I couldn't route the belt around a locked up
compressor.
the changing of that part was a pain.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Just a general FYI, you can also delete that bracket on the passenger side with no issues (other than needing a shorter belt). I have been running it that way for at least 3 years. Just simpler, and the straight run from the crank pulley to the AC compressor has not been an issue.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

With this engine HP & Torque what gear are you using in the differential ?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by caskiguy
With this engine HP & Torque what gear are you using in the differential ?
I am running 3.08 with a T56 Magnum 6-speed (close ratio)

The car is used for track days mostly, but still find it a good street car, with 27.4 MPG (CDN) highway mileage.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Get notified of new replies

To GM performance 12497698 serpentine Power Steering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM performance 12497698 serpentine Power Steering.