C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual 11" spal electric fan install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM
brennano1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual 11" spal electric fan install

Does anyone have a good step by step guide to installing a dual 11" spal electric fan setup on a 1972 350 manual with ac? I keep finding wiring diahgrams but most of the threads don't have pictures or they have been removed because of their age.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What are you trying to do....Install the twin fans set-up that is all together in an assembly and mount that to your factory style radiator or what????

I know about the twin SPAL fans ..but you are not giving any information on what it is going to be installed on.

I am assuming that you are removing the factory shroud and the fan on the water pump.

ARE you planning on having the A/C work also. It makes a difference in how the fans are wired up.

You WILL also want o make sure that ALL seals between the radiator and the radiator support are in good condition...AND...the rubber seal that goes on TOP of the radiator support is being used where it seals the underside of the hood to the radiator support as designed.

You more than likely will need to remove the radiator so you can get the fan assembly installed

I just did a 1974 with a new DeWitts radiator and it went in fine and wired it up using different relays because I prefer GM style relays.

It is not that hard but you can spend some time on it to make it look really nice..in regards to wiring harnesses and mounting relays and such.

DUB
Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 1974 with a new DeWitts radiator & GM style relays

Originally Posted by DUB
What are you trying to do....Install the twin fans set-up that is all together in an assembly and mount that to your factory style radiator or what????

I know about the twin SPAL fans ..but you are not giving any information on what it is going to be installed on.

I am assuming that you are removing the factory shroud and the fan on the water pump.

ARE you planning on having the A/C work also. It makes a difference in how the fans are wired up.

You WILL also want o make sure that ALL seals between the radiator and the radiator support are in good condition...AND...the rubber seal that goes on TOP of the radiator support is being used where it seals the underside of the hood to the radiator support as designed.

You more than likely will need to remove the radiator so you can get the fan assembly installed

I just did a 1974 with a new DeWitts radiator and it went in fine and wired it up using different relays because I prefer GM style relays.

It is not that hard but you can spend some time on it to make it look really nice..in regards to wiring harnesses and mounting relays and such.

DUB
Here is that 1974.
Attached Images    
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM
brennano1
Advanced

I just picked up Corvette Dual Radiator Fans, Electric, 11" Direct-Fit, 1969-1982
•Fits All 1969-72's With Original Copper/Brass Radiator Or Aftermarket Aluminum Radiator
•Kit Includes: SPAL Dual 11" Fans, 2 Mounting Brackets, 1 Hardware Kit, 1 Relay Harness, 1 Temperature Switch & 1 Controller (part # 50349)
From Ecklers. The goal is to eliminate the stock clutch fan and clean up the front of the engine bay. My radiator looks to be stock (Black and bulky). The kit i bought looks like the one you have in the picture above. I'm looking to get information on how to actually wire it up to my electrical system so it looks clean and doesn't create a fire hazard. I would like the 1st fan to run constant and the 2nd to kick in when the temp climbs. Any tips or pictures of how the wires are connected are what I'm looking for. Where is the best spot to connect the Power leads, where should i connect the ground, connect the temp sensor.... etc.. I can handle the mechanical side, it's the electrical that i always get hung up on.

Thanks for your help
Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 AM
brennano1
Advanced

Forgot to answer the other part of your questions. Yes, I plan on removing the factory shroud. I am also installing a Vintage AIR system/steeroids/spreader bar at the same time. So it will need to be setup to handle air conditioning. Ultimately I'm trying to clean up the engine bay, update to more modern parts and add a little comfort.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 AM
GearDrive65
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if I did mine right. I ran the fans off the back of the alternator. I'm thinking that the shorter the wire, the better. Plus you're coming right off the power source. The fans ground, on core support. I had to run a ground strap from engine to core support. I mounted my relays on the core support also.

How many amps do both fans pull? Might have to upgrade the alternator.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Rather than ground the fans to the support and the ground the support, tie the two ground wires together. Also, when I received my Dewitts fan already mounted to the rad, I found that the driver's side A arm contacted the fan. I had to R/R the fan assembly to the pass side.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM
brennano1
Advanced

Tie the two ground wires together makes sense, but where is the best place to ground them to for functionality and also aesthetics? I want a clean look without wires drooping in the engine bay. Also, where is the best place to connect the power? I've heard the altinator isn't the best option. Horn Relay? Direct line to the battery? Can it be taken to the fuse box?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 AM
GearDrive65
Intermediate

I thought I could just ground the fans to the core support, because it checked good with a tester, but when I jumped the thermo switch, the relays just buzzed. Adding the ground strap cured the problem, so I left it like that.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GearDrive65
I'm not sure if I did mine right. I ran the fans off the back of the alternator. I'm thinking that the shorter the wire, the better. Plus you're coming right off the power source. The fans ground, on core support. I had to run a ground strap from engine to core support. I mounted my relays on the core support also.

How many amps do both fans pull? Might have to upgrade the alternator.
Would like to see pictures of the fans mounted, I'm trying to find some a electric fan setup that will fit my LS radiator.

Tim
Old 07-30-2014, 07:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

brennano1:

I did not use the controller... so I would need to see it. I could not see it when I looked up the part number from Ecklers.

On Jim's Corvette (pictures above---THANKS JIM!!!)...a sensor was installed in the radiator to make the fans come on when needed. Also..if you look at the labeled relays on his firewall. One of them is labeled 'A/C REQUEST'...which makes the fans come on when he turns on his A/C...even if the engine temp is low and the sensor has not turned on the fans.

Wire it in as you wish...but I would NOT have a fan always running. That is my preference.

The radiator may need to come out so you can mount it.

I can help your when you get it ready to put in but I need a link to the controller and wiring diagrams or something so I know what is going on. The grounds and all that will be taken care of. It will be up to you to do it.

Also. I UPGRADED Jim's alternator to an 85 amp alternator (including all mounting hardware which is required) for a 1981-1982...and the new forward lamp wiring harness that went to the alternator ..I removed that wire and replaced it with a much larger gauge wire and custom made a better junction block to better distribute power. NUMEROUS HOURS of electrical upgraded and changes...and if you look close ..I chose to use GM designed relays so all of Jim's relays are all the same.

DUB
Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
brennano1
Advanced

I will do that as soon as I get the fan in place.

Thank you for the advice
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM
GearDrive65
Intermediate

Tim:

This is a Derale setup. I had to thin the shroud by 1 1/4", to fit between the control arms, and rad.

I used 1 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum angle, top and bottom.

No wiring is done in this pic.
Attached Images  

Last edited by GearDrive65; 07-31-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM
brennano1
Advanced

How did you hook the power and grounds up?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 AM
GearDrive65
Intermediate

The grounds were wired straight to the brackets at the top of the pic.

The power went thru a relay to the alternator. I wired everything, on top, out in the open for easy access.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

What model Derale did you use I see 2 different ones on ebay that would likely fit.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM
GearDrive65
Intermediate

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16831/overview/
It didn't look like the picture. The shroud was 2 3/4" thick, and hit the control arms.

http://derale.com/products/electric-...-header-detail

This is actual.

Last edited by GearDrive65; 07-31-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car came with 3 fans 2 pusher and 1 puller. And they run when you turn the key on. I want to hook up to come on by temp reaches that point. Any wiring would be helpful. Thanks in Advance.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 PM
GearDrive65
Intermediate

You could install these controllers.

Use 2, one to have 1 fan come on about 10 degrees after the first.

http://derale.com/products/electric-...s/single-stage

Get notified of new replies

To dual 11" spal electric fan install

Quick Reply: dual 11" spal electric fan install