C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Rear Exhaust Panel Bracket Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM
sumcollegekid
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1969 Rear Exhaust Panel Bracket Issue

Guys,

I just noticed that my rear exhaust panel brackets aren't lining up with the holes in the panel. I got one replacement bracket from Big City Corvette and the other from because my original ones were completely rusted to nothing. Both of the replacements are similar in dimension.

My issue is that I haven't used many shims on the rear body mount and I don't think that my rear wheel well "kick-up" to body gap or my rear crossmember to rear compartment floor gap is excessive either. (See pics). The fit of this panel on the back of the car is also very good. Any ideas?? Do I have the wrong brackets or is the body alignment causing the issue?

Also any ideas for a fix? I can bend the brackets to a 90 degree angle and they will fit but this isn't correct. While it will reinforce the rear panel as it should, anyone who knows will immediately question these brackets.

Thanks,
Sum

Last edited by sumcollegekid; 08-02-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
Odd!!!
The dimension from the frame rail to the underbody looks o.k..
What is the dimension from the rear lower corner of the rear crossmember when measured straight up to the underside of the rear deck fiberglass? 10-1/2" on my 71. Is this a coupe or convertible?
The rear crossmember looks a bit odd to me… it's shape and angle. Are you sure that crossmember hasn't been worked on?
Have you checked the fit of any rear bumper brackets?
Here's some pics. Perhaps you'll see something. Again, rear crossmember looks odd!
Regards,
Alan

Old 08-03-2014, 10:30 PM
sumcollegekid
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Alan,

I measured 11" from the deck straight down to the bottom of the rear cross member. It seems like I somehow need to gain about 1.25" - 1.5" in order to make the rear panel support brackets fit. What is the distance from the top of your rear deck down to the top of your gas cap?

Mine is exactly 2" measured from the center of the hole down to the flat part of the gas cap.

This is kind of a wierd measurement but I'm running out of things to measure in order to determine the relative position of the frame rails to the body.

Thanks,
Sum

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Rear Exhaust Panel Bracket Issue

Quick Reply: 1969 Rear Exhaust Panel Bracket Issue