C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 LS5 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:00 PM
jrs420454
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1970 LS5 rebuild

Hi guys, I think it's time to pull the engine and do a rebuild, so I wanted to ask for some advice, please. It's a 1970 LS5, 60k miles, never been apart as far as I know.

It runs perfectly until around 3500 rpm, then above that it runs rough and backfires through the carb. I replaced ignition, carb, fuel pump, (etc), to no avail. I also checked the usual things like ignition timing and checked for vacuum leaks.

I just did a compression test and a leakdown test, and here are the results. All tests were performed cold, and dry (no oil added through the plug holes):

Compression, psi, 1 through 8: 215, 215, 200, 190, 205, 205, 205, 200
Leakdown %, 1 through 8: 12%, 28%, 66%, 44%, 16%, 32%, 24%, 10%

While the cylinders were pressurized, air could be heard escaping from the valve covers (only). I'm thinking it has worn and/or broken rings.

So, before I pull the engine, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. If it requires a rebuild, I'd be interested in suggestions such as keeping it 100% stock, vs. minor mods such as hardened valve seats, better cam, etc.

Also, should I rebuild the heads if the problem turns out to be just the rings, or should I just leave the heads alone?

The car is a survivor, 99% stock.

Thanks guys - I very much appreciate your thoughts here!

John
Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Why do u want to rebuild a motor that only needs a vlv job and tuning?

Have u ever rebuilt a motor before let alone a collectable classic LS5 BB?

Seems to me if u knew what u were doing u would have fixed your leakdown and tuning problems and not even posted here.

Take it to the dealer or a real experienced mech for diagnose and repair. Take a ASE class on tuning and rebuilding engines at the local tech school before u create a problem u dont have and ruin a collectable BB C3.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

So, does everyone need to be ASE certified before they ask for advice here? Dang, check into Ritalin.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:20 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by jrs420454
Hi guys, I think it's time to pull the engine and do a rebuild, so I wanted to ask for some advice, please. It's a 1970 LS5, 60k miles, never been apart as far as I know.

It runs perfectly until around 3500 rpm, then above that it runs rough and backfires through the carb. I replaced ignition, carb, fuel pump, (etc), to no avail. I also checked the usual things like ignition timing and checked for vacuum leaks.

I just did a compression test and a leakdown test, and here are the results. All tests were performed cold, and dry (no oil added through the plug holes):

While the cylinders were pressurized, air could be heard escaping from the valve covers (only). I'm thinking it has worn and/or broken rings.

So, before I pull the engine, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. If it requires a rebuild, I'd be interested in suggestions such as keeping it 100% stock, vs. minor mods such as hardened valve seats, better cam, etc.

Also, should I rebuild the heads if the problem turns out to be just the rings, or should I just leave the heads alone?

John
With those compression readings you don't have a rings problem.
You need to pull the heads and have them rebuilt. Check the valve guides while they are off.
Other than that you should be ok but you will not know until you pull the heads.
You seem to have some mechanical experience.
Take your time and you could do the top end by yourself.
Good luck.
Bman

Once the heads are off post pics here with any questions.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

So, does everyone need to be ASE certified before they ask for advice here? Dang, check into Ritalin.

No but ASE training will help someone from getting too far ahead of themselves. Rebuilding at 60k mi on an engine with good compression and runs well at low rpm would be absolutely the wrong advice. Having rebuilt a few motors myself i cant encourage someone with a good block and little or no experience to try a rebuild.

I guess i could say politely he should take it all apart and spend thousands on machine work and parts. Tell him how easy it is to measure bearing clearance, crank thrust, set ring gap and adjust the lifters the first w/o wiping a flat tappet cam. No! No! No Zoomin, i cant do that. In fact my experience tells me to discourage it. The truth can hurt but it fixes the real problem also.

BTW what is Ritalin?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:03 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Your compression readings are similar to what I get, also an LS5 which was rebuilt many years ago, maybe several thousand miles at most since the rebuild.

Have you checked the pickup strainer in the tank? Sounds like it may be running out of fuel at higher RPMs.

Mechanical and vacuum advance all working correctly?

Possibly a valve train issue? Someone with more experience with cams and valve trains may have some thoughts on this?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by cardo0
Why do u want to rebuild a motor that only needs a vlv job and tuning?

Have u ever rebuilt a motor before let alone a collectable classic LS5 BB?

Seems to me if u knew what u were doing u would have fixed your leakdown and tuning problems and not even posted here.

Take it to the dealer or a real experienced mech for diagnose and repair. Take a ASE class on tuning and rebuilding engines at the local tech school before u create a problem u dont have and ruin a collectable BB C3.
To the OP. Are you sure you were at TDC on those cylinders when doing the leakdown test? They HAVE to be TDC. If not redo leakdown test on all cylinders over 20% at TDC on the compression stroke. The running rough and backfiring through the carb is likely unrelated to your compression. Compression is good. Leakdown isn't.

Why would you demean and criticize the poster for simply asking for advise? Seems you are the one who need to take a class. No way do bad valves leak at the valve covers. The leakdown test will show a "leak path". If the intake valve is not sealing it will leak out of the carb. If the exhaust valve is not sealing it will leak out of the exhaust. It can have horrible guides but still seal at the valve seat. If there is a ring seal issue it will leak out of the valve cover since everything else is sealed. Anything over 20% is a sign of wear but if it is uniform it is not as big of issue, even approaching 30% and uniform lets you know it is getting close to time. The 66% and 44% are big red flags, especially with decent compression. I would guess he has a couple broken rings and or pitting in one or more cylinders from corrosion seizing those rings to the cylinder wall on the cylinders with open valves while sitting for extended periods of time considering the year and mileage. Time for a rebuild. Good news is it is probably an easy rebuild with little wear. .030 Bore, torque plate hone, pistons, rings, polish crank, Resize rods, new bearings, valve job is likely all your looking at.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

John
If you do a complete rebuild I would leave it all stock spec except a roller cam upgrade, something like this: http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2156&gid=289
It will probably get you 40-50 HP across the operating range with good vacuum and never have to worry about wiping a lobe. Or this if your looking for a milder, stockish idle. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hr...make/chevrolet
Both have about the same DCR and will need 93 octane.
Don't worry about the valve seats unless they are recessed now. Cam will require new springs and possibly Beehive springs, +.100 valves or cut spring seats, maybe not. Have to check.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:23 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Same as air gets by worn rings, if the vlvs dont seal and the guides are bad enough air will leak out. That's a fact Jack!

Broken rings and pitted cyl's would burn plenty of oil - didnt read that - lowers compression too. Read it "runs perfectly below 3500rpm".

New "roller" cam, beehive springs with cut spring seats. Ya, that should fix anything leaking in the cyl'rs.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Sounds to me like you have a broken valve spring. Could be one of the inner springs. Those can be replaced easily without pulling the head with compressed air. Broken valve springs are a common problem on BB.

Bullshark
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM
jrs420454
Intermediate

I will double check the leakdown and pull the valve covers and check the springs. The ignition advance was checked some time ago but I'll do that again as well.

The fuel strainer/sock was replaced when I replaced the fuel pump. The engine does not burn oil, which I thought didn't square with air leaking past the rings during the leakdown test. But there was no sound of air from the carb or the exhaust during the leakdown test - just from the valve covers.

Thanks for all the advice … I won't be working on it for a couple of weeks, but will check back in when I have some more info!

John
Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 AM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Same as air gets by worn rings, if the vlvs dont seal and the guides are bad enough air will leak out. That's a fact Jack! You think with his compression numbers that enough air is getting past the valve seat to pressurize the intake runner enough to force air past the valveguides into the crankcase instead of following the least resistance path of the runner to the carb??? That would be pretty special. My name is not Jack.

Broken rings and pitted cyl's would burn plenty of oil - didnt read that - lowers compression too. Read it "runs perfectly below 3500rpm". Oil control ring is likely intact. Middle compression rings are likely good. Upper compression ring is what rusts to the cylinder wall when engines sit for prolonged periods. This is why you pull the plugs and lubricate the cylinder before starting an engine that has been sitting for a long time. Likely has a couple broken upper compression rings. Compression readings are lower on the bad leakdown cylinders.

New "roller" cam, beehive springs with cut spring seats. Ya, that should fix anything leaking in the cyl'rs. The OP asked for opinions on if he should do a cam upgrade while he was there. My point is if he is rebuilding the engine I would go back stock with the exception of a higher lift roller cam and new springs to increase power and eliminate the chances of a wiped lobe on startup or in the future. It might need beehives or cut seats or +.100 valves to do this. Might get a spring that will work without any modification at .600 lift all but probably not, have to measure. When it is torn down is the time to do this sort of improvement not after you wipe a lobe on your low mile fresh rebuild. Rebuild will require new cam, lifters and springs anyway. It is a 1970 LS5. Spend a few hundred extra and do it justice.
Leakdown test.
1. If air is leaking out of the carb it is an intake valve not sealing.
2. If air leaks out of exhaust an exhaust valve is not sealing.
3. If air leaks out of the valve cover ONLY it is rings.
If you have 44% leakdown in one cylinder and 66% leakdown in another and the only place that air is leaking is the valve covers it is rings period.
A broken spring could explain the miss above 3500 but not the leakdown results.

Last edited by 63mako; 08-24-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:41 AM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

could the OP get by with a mild hone job and new rings ? I would get all new bearings .I would check every thing for wear and proper clearances .I would do a valve job while the engine is apart .a roller cam would really wake the engine up .
Old 08-24-2014, 11:22 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

My guess would be possibly valve train issues causing the higher RPM break up, assuming fuel and ignition are fine. Quite possible there are issues with rings in a few cylinders, a secondary issue, not likely to cause the misfires but something which may need to be addressed if the OP is getting deep into the engine.

Tightening up the top end on an older engine often reveals weakness in the bottom end afterward. May as well do it right.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:35 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

If at all possible post pics of the spark plugs.
They would give a good indication of any issues.
I just don't see how consistent compression readings indicate a ring problem.
More likely upper valve train. Especially with only 60k on the motor. Valve springs go weak and seals hardened and dry out. Rings just sit there.
One more thought.....compression getting into valve covers could be small crack in head or faulty pcv system.
IMO

Bman

Keep us posted. Interested to see the final issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

I will double check the leakdown and pull the valve covers and check the springs. The ignition advance was checked some time ago but I'll do that again as well.

The fuel strainer/sock was replaced when I replaced the fuel pump. The engine does not burn oil, which I thought didn't square with air leaking past the rings during the leakdown test. But there was no sound of air from the carb or the exhaust during the leakdown test - just from the valve covers.

Thanks for all the advice … I won't be working on it for a couple of weeks, but will check back in when I have some more info!

John

A leak down test measures the air leak down. If vlvs are sealed then the leak down can only go out through the rings gaps into the crankcase. Then the air goes out wherever it can - vlv cover grommet, bad gaskets/seals unless the dip stick is out and then blows out there. Even Jack would know this.
Or that someone could be ready to sell u something like a cam or full rebuild - who knows, but please let us know if u get a PM with any propositions.

Bad vlv springs can make it rough and rougher at hi rpm. But the backfiring through carb is a fairly significant change and sounds more like a timing issue (not even a mixture issue). Kinda like the timing springs or weights fell off the dist. Ive had my dist weights freeze up before so that can happen also and it ran terrible though i dont recall backfire through carb.

FYI John, a head R&R is much simpler that an entire rebuild - much cheaper too, more like 500 bucks and only one weekend if u do it your self and worth the try before rebuilding. But i would spend the time and go through the dist first as all that really costs is patience.

If u want to learn how to rebuild u should get a boneyard engine core to learn on rather than a lo mi numbers match LS5. Something i have to warn is that a lot of experienced mech's here can mislead a new enthusiast into thinking it will be easy to rebuild. While we can read here a story every week of cars taken apart that never run again. Something as simple as adj the vlvs/lifters wrong can make a brand new motor/rebuild eat itself putting metal all through the block and bearings. What im saying is that overconfidence is nearly a disease here.

I wish u good luck and im sure your low mi BB is a nice car and makes me somewhat envious. Hope u can get to drive it more than work on it.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 08-25-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: removed reference to Jack
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 AM
jrs420454
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmans vette
If at all possible post pics of the spark plugs.
bman - this photo isn't great but hopefully good enough. The plugs are oriented as if looking at the engine from the front (#1 cylinder is lower right). These plugs only have a couple hours of running time on them.

I can get a better photo later if necessary - thanks!
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 LS5 rebuild

Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM
jrs420454
Intermediate

A leak down test measures the air leak down. If vlvs are sealed then the leak down can only go out through the rings gaps into the crankcase. Then the air goes out wherever it can - vlv cover grommet, bad gaskets/seals unless the dip stick is out and then blows out there. Even Jack would know this. Someone that doesnt know Jack will imagine stuff up like broken rings that dont burn any oil, recommend hyd roller cams with a full rebuild before u even know what the problem is. Or that someone could be ready to sell u something like a cam or full rebuild - who knows, but please let us know if u get a PM with any propositions.

Bad vlv springs can make it rough and rougher at hi rpm. But the backfiring through carb is a fairly significant change and sounds more like a timing issue (not even a mixture issue). Kinda like the timing springs or weights fell off the dist. Ive had my dist weights freeze up before so that can happen also and it ran terrible though i dont recall backfire through carb.

FYI John, a head R&R is much simpler that an entire rebuild - much cheaper too, more like 500 bucks and only one weekend if u do it your self and worth the try before rebuilding. But i would spend the time and go through the dist first as all that really costs is patience.

If u want to learn how to rebuild u should get a boneyard engine core to learn on rather than a lo mi numbers match LS5. Something i have to warn is that a lot of experienced mech's here can mislead a new enthusiast into thinking it will be easy to rebuild. While we can read here a story every week of cars taken apart that never run again. Something as simple as adj the vlvs/lifters wrong can make a brand new motor/rebuild eat itself putting metal all through the block and bearings. What im saying is that overconfidence is nearly a disease here.

I wish u good luck and im sure your low mi BB is a nice car and makes me somewhat envious. Hope u can get to drive it more than work on it.
Thanks man, appreciate the advice. Will keep everyone posted when I get a chance to get back to it.

John
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

A leak down test measures the air leak down. If vlvs are sealed then the leak down can only go out through the rings gaps into the crankcase. Then the air goes out wherever it can - vlv cover grommet, bad gaskets/seals unless the dip stick is out and then blows out there. Even Jack would know this.
Exactly correct. If the valves are sealed the leakdown can only go out through the rings into the crankcase. This is exactly what is happening. He has NO LEAKAGE out the carb or exhaust, only the valvecover. 1 cylinder is 44% one is 66%. NO LEAKAGE AT THE CARB OR EXHAUST, ONLY INTO THE CRANKCASE. Tell us again how a valvejob is going to fix this? I say 2 broken upper rings in cylinders 3 and 4 and good valve seal on all cylinders. Likely weak valvesprings as well. Plugs look like it's been running way rich. With only 60,000 miles on a 45 year old engine it sat a lot, likely long periods of time on more than 1 or 2 occasions. Humidity and condensation will rust the upper ring to the cylinder wall. when you go to start it the ring breaks, it will also cause the compressed springs to weaken. Always back off the rocker nuts and squirt a little oil in the cylinders through the plug hole if leaving the car sit for long term (years). If your oil rings are good and the middle compression ring is good you will have no noticeable smoke and a slight cranking compression drop. but noticeable leak down into the crankcase

Last edited by 63mako; 08-25-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:27 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Are you doing your leakdown test with all the plugs in except the cylinder your testing and absolutely sure your exactly TDC on the compression stroke? If not your test is not accurate. I would really hate to see you rebuild it if you don't have to but if your test is accurate it is time. I would definitely get a very good builder to rebuild it. Don't do it yourself. With that engine I would also have that real good builder run it in and dial everything in on the dyno. You could pull it and drop it in yourself.

Last edited by 63mako; 08-25-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 1970 LS5 rebuild