C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bubba strikes again

Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 PM
brazky75
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bubba strikes again

Well back in September wife and I participated in a across Iowa car cruise and on return trip drivers side t/arm failed at spring mount thus ending our trip. The week after thanksgiving finally started working on the job of replacing both trailing arms. I’m retired so I have lots of time to work on it. Yesterday got both half shafts off to my surprise drivers side was 2 1/2 with a spacer on hub side and a 3 inch on passengers side?? Don’t think this is original equipment the spacer was a bearing with bearing and race cut out with a gas axe. The spring is a heavy duty 7 leaf I’m sure it should be a 9 leaf the car is a L48. Also should it posi- traction mine says limited slip.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by brazky75
Well back in September wife and I participated in a across Iowa car cruise and on return trip drivers side t/arm failed at spring mount thus ending our trip. The week after thanksgiving finally started working on the job of replacing both trailing arms. I’m retired so I have lots of time to work on it. Yesterday got both half shafts off to my surprise drivers side was 2 1/2 with a spacer on hub side and a 3 inch on passengers side?? Don’t think this is original equipment the spacer was a bearing with bearing and race cut out with a gas axe. The spring is a heavy duty 7 leaf I’m sure it should be a 9 leaf the car is a L48. Also should it posi- traction mine says limited slip.
Questions:

Are you saying there was a 3" spacer on the outside of the spindle? Or inside the trailing arm for the bearings?

I'm confused about what you are are talking about... where are these spacers.. .On the outer part of the spindle (where the wheel mounts), inside the trailing arm bearing assembly?

The car can have posi even though it's a L48 car.

If you have a pic, post it up and I'm sure people here will be glad to help you. (and always post your year with a question).

Willcox
Old 12-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
"Also should it posi- traction mine says limited slip."

"Positraction" was GM's "name" for a "limited slip" differential.
The 'positraction' differential was an option, (G81), until the start of the 70 model year when it became standard.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-06-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Questions:

Are you saying there was a 3" spacer on the outside of the spindle? Or inside the trailing arm for the bearings?

I'm confused about what you are are talking about... where are these spacers.. .On the outer part of the spindle (where the wheel mounts), inside the trailing arm bearing assembly?

If you have a pic, post it up and I'm sure people here will be glad to help you. (and always post your year with a question).

Willcox
X2.

I am lost also.

DUB
Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

IF you talking about the diameter of the actual half shafts ? if so I believe the 1975 model (from your username ?) had 3 inch half shafts as standard . I have heard of people finding replacements of a different size before , have a look around , there might be signs of damage from the original one letting go at speed

Like to see a pic of the spacer , sounds interesting

Last edited by bazza77; 12-06-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

can you post some photos of the spacer? It sounds very funny. (Half shaft from a 80-81 4speed or 82 auto maybe?)

the spring being 7 leaf could be correct; it would depend what suspension options it had.

posi traction and limited slip are the same thing.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:03 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Old 12-08-2017, 04:52 PM
brazky75
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Questions:

Willcox
No the spacer is 3/4 inches between the half shaft where it bolts to trailing arm. The trailing arms were two different diameters left was 2 1/2 the passenger side was 3inch don’t think that is standard equipment. Sorry didn’t make clear. So I need to order a new driver side half shaft. Also my current c3 is a 73, kept the 75 on my profile in memory of my first c3 that was totaled out 4 years ago.

Last edited by brazky75; 12-08-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Should be half shafts instead of trailing arms
Old 12-08-2017, 05:39 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

No the spacer is 3/4 inches between the half shaft where it bolts to trailing arm. The trailing arms were two different diameters left was 2 1/2 the passenger side was 3inch don’t think that is standard equipment. Sorry didn’t make clear. So I need to order a new driver side half shaft. Also my current c3 is a 73, kept the 75 on my profile in memory of my first c3 that was totaled out 4 years ago.
WOW , if you have a spacer between the half shaft and the trailing arm , you might need to get a new trailing arm man .

Last edited by bazza77; 12-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
WOW , if you have a spacer between the half shaft and the trailing arm , you might need to get a new trailing arm man .
he may do. Could just be the half shaft was too short. I still want to see a photo
Old 12-08-2017, 05:56 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Antz81
he may do. Could just be the half shaft was too short. I still want to see a photo
too short ?, there all (big dia. or small ) the same length!
yeah some pics would be great
Old 12-08-2017, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
too short ?, there all (big dia. or small ) the same length!
yeah some pics would be great

And at this critical point in this thread.....

DUB
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:24 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

yeah , its got me intrigued though ,

Unless the half shaft was damaged and some one cut out the damage and re-welded it back together ,now shorter . But why would anyone bother .

Wait and hopefully we will see something soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Bubba strikes again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bubba strikes again