C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Wiper Motor on '68

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:30 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wrong Wiper Motor on '68

The wiper motor hasn't worked in years. Today I decided to take it off and do some bench testing. The wires have been bubba'd, but I was able to figure out how to test it using Willcox's diagrams and video. The motor itself is find and turns. But I noticed during this process the 3-pin connector didn't match that of the videos and diagrams. Eventually my Dad (bubba) told me that this is not the original motor and he bought it from a salvage yard years ago and it never did work with the factory harness. On the rare occasion he had rain, he would twist some wires together to get him home.

Looking at this wiper motor, it seems if wired properly it could work in this car; everything else is the exact same. I don't know the exact year or other info about this motor and I can post pics if necessary. The only thing that is really different is the 3 spade connector is not mounted by between the park mech and the motor housing, it's mounted with the park mechanism.

Of course there is still that possibility there is a wiring issue other than the motor itself, but bench testing following the Willcox method should rule out the motor and on to the wiring.

Thoughts or knowledge of the differences between the two motors?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It can be done but I'm not sure the trouble would be worth it. You'd have to jumper the yellow wire from the fuse panel to the wiper solenoid on the back of the tach, then hodge podge more wires..

Normally I'd tall you to just beak down and buy the correct motor, but two things against you would be the core charge since you don't have the correct core. The other thing is the 68 motors are running dry right now.. We only have six 68 cores in rotation right now and currently we will not ship out a 68 motor unless the core is sent in. (we had to go to this because people were not returning the cores to us).

If I have time in the next few days, I'll take a look at the 72 schematic and see if I can tell you what is needed to change this over.

Willcox
Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
It can be done but I'm not sure the trouble would be worth it. You'd have to jumper the yellow wire from the fuse panel to the wiper solenoid on the back of the tach, then hodge podge more wires..

Willcox
Normally that is what the brown wire does, provides 12 volts to the solenoid? I have a L88 long hood and don't have the door anymore so I don't need any of that part of the circuit. All of the door and mechs have been removed. This motor does have a brown wire on it and it seems to be wired directly to the red power wire coming into the motor housing ( I had the motor out looking at the wiring). Either way, I don't think I will be needing it.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:08 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

I recently bought a 68 used wiper motor as spare because of the rarity of this units and when I received it, I found out that my installed motor isn't a 68 unit. It work fine , so Bubba was on it and wired it correctly.

That's a killer now. Do I keep the 68 as spare and require to return the wiring to 68 standard or do take the easy way , find out what motor got installed and keep such a still available unit as spare ?

Rgds. Günther
Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Willcox,

On your '68 diagram, you show the Black with White wire going from the relay pin 6 to ground and the Black from relay pin 7 going to the middle (#8) of the wiper switch. Is this correct? In your video you say the Black with White wire goes to the middle of the wiper switch. Is this a difference between model years? I'm so confused how two grounds provide low speed and only one ground provides high speed. I can see if you are grounding different sides of the 20 ohm resistor, but I can see this in the diagram. What am I missing?

Get notified of new replies

To Wrong Wiper Motor on '68

Quick Reply: Wrong Wiper Motor on '68