C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another TBI fi unit to be released soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

UPDATE......

Received a call from FITech today. The TBI units are ready and shipping out but the fuel command center is delayed.

FITech gave me the option have having the TBI unit shipped out followed by the command center in 3 weeks.

I opted to wait and have it all shipped at the same time. I also was given the option of getting the inline system but I really want to try out the command center (remote fuel cell thing).

Happy that they called and gave me an update. Not thrilled with waiting another 3 weeks but they told me they were not happy with the QC on the fuel cell. I appreciate they are waiting to get it right before shipping it out.

Did anyone order just the TBI unit? Interested to hear others opinions on it.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:31 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mrscott25
UPDATE......

Received a call from FITech today. The TBI units are ready and shipping out but the fuel command center is delayed.

FITech gave me the option have having the TBI unit shipped out followed by the command center in 3 weeks.

I opted to wait and have it all shipped at the same time. I also was given the option of getting the inline system but I really want to try out the command center (remote fuel cell thing).

Happy that they called and gave me an update. Not thrilled with waiting another 3 weeks but they told me they were not happy with the QC on the fuel cell. I appreciate they are waiting to get it right before shipping it out.

Did anyone order just the TBI unit? Interested to hear others opinions on it.
Interested in where you will mount the fuel command center.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:10 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Interested in where you will mount the fuel command center.
Me too!!! That is the million $ question.

I am waiting for it to arrive but my first thought is going to be up under the front bumper somewhere. Other two options are down by the vacuum canister or the below the evap canister for the A/C. Up front between the headlights is probably the best option but it will block some air from the radiator. Building a bracket will be a little time consuming but I think I can figure something out.

Frankly, Since the delay I am starting to question my plan to put the command center on in the first place. This is an 81 and from what I am seeing on the forum it is not too big of a deal to just drop the fuel tank and put in a proper in tank pump like the 82's have but with a higher pressure pump.

I think if I do that I can use all my existing metal fuel lines and it would be a clean install. Of course, if I hated the system I would have to convert it back to a mechanical to run the carb...I might be wrong abou this but I don't think I could regulate an electric pump down to 5 PSI.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 732 Posts

I am waiting for it to arrive but my first thought is going to be up under the front bumper somewhere. Other two options are down by the vacuum canister or the below the evap canister for the A/C. Up front between the headlights is probably the best option but it will block some air from the radiator. Building a bracket will be a little time consuming but I think I can figure something out.

Frankly, Since the delay I am starting to question my plan to put the command center on in the first place. This is an 81 and from what I am seeing on the forum it is not too big of a deal to just drop the fuel tank and put in a proper in tank pump like the 82's have but with a higher pressure pump.

I think if I do that I can use all my existing metal fuel lines and it would be a clean install. Of course, if I hated the system I would have to convert it back to a mechanical to run the carb...I might be wrong abou this but I don't think I could regulate an electric pump down to 5 PSI.

Yes you can, lower the pressure. Your fuel pump has a return line.

I did it on my 1985 when I removed the TPI and went with the carb..

Use an Air-quip or Holley depending on budget - fuel pressure regulator. The Airomotive is adjustable from 3 psi to 60 psi. Use your return line as the overflow. I went with the Airomotive /Air-quip..

Feed into the regulator, return into the vapor return and carb line into the cab. 3 years and no issues. Have done 5 other cars since. I run 6 lbs, pump is 45 lbs. (found 4 lbs too low)

Last edited by BLUE1972; 05-01-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-2015, 01:10 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't put it under the front bumper, you don't want it there if you have a collision🔥!

I have an LT-1 car, without a return line. An in tank pump would be best, but harder to install.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Looking fwd to reading your report of the instal, startup and driving experience with the unit(s).
Old 05-03-2015, 10:40 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Wondering if this setup fits under a drop base air cleaner?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:45 AM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mount the fuel command center somewhere visible - people will think you have a dry sump oiling system, slap a moroso sticker on it for safe measure
Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 AM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Originally Posted by mbeeman350
Wondering if this setup fits under a drop base air cleaner?

RESPONSE FROM FI TECH

Sometimes with a deep drop air cleaner you need a 90* fitting or a Banjo fitting depending on how deep the drop is. Hope that helps

Thank you,

FiTech Tech Support
Old 05-15-2015, 10:18 AM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has received/using the FiTech TBI unit or command center yet? I'm very interested with your first impressions of their product and also if it works as promised.

I talked to Ken at FiTech and he said I could use the MSD 8572 w/ tach drive as my 2 wire distributor and I don't have to use a CDI box. I'm hoping that is true.

Any new info on this product would be greatly appreciated.

C.J.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:21 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Great post. T
Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

I had asked about using my stock distr. which has a Petronix II installed and their reply was:

FiTech
May 13 at 1:00pm

Sure will, our system works perfect with the pertronix tach signal !

I find that they are very quick to get back to everyone, here's hoping the new products deliver excellent results.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 AM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by gdh
I had asked about using my stock distr. which has a Petronix II installed and their reply was:

FiTech
May 13 at 1:00pm

Sure will, our system works perfect with the pertronix tach signal !

I find that they are very quick to get back to everyone, here's hoping the new products deliver excellent results.
That is good info to know. Keeping the stock distributor and being able to control timing with it is awesome.

I've already upgraded to an HEI distributor, otherwise I would do the same thing as you.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Still no news, nobody has it yet?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:16 AM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by c3_dk
I'm waiting for the polished version, so that TBI unit isn't ready to be shipped yet. I'm hoping it is ready to go by the end of May, beginning of June.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:02 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Another forum member ordered a polished one the other week. Co. said it would ship June 5th.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:44 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

everything is still pre-order on the site

Get notified of new replies

To Another TBI fi unit to be released soon

Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 PM
bowtie racing
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c3_dk

Has anyone black unit on the road yet?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 PM
BrooksCJ
Instructor

I talked to Ken at FiTech today and he said the first batch of Fuel Command Centers are getting shipped out this week. Hopefully people that ordered the Black TBI Unit and the Fuel Command Center will be getting the kit soon.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:26 AM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Just got an update. The units have arrived! They will send mine out (efi unit and the command center) next week.

Will update as soon as I get it.

Quick Reply: Another TBI fi unit to be released soon