C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 L-81 Mounting Side Pipes, What Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:58 PM
zakbradshaw
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1981 L-81 What Header Gaskets Do I Need?

I am about to order the Maximizer (OBX) non-resonated side pipe kit. The one I'm getting includes the mounting hardware for the pipes, but what else do I need?

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets-I have always used Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals. Should I go with these again? What part number should I use for an L-81? There are three different part numbers on Summit for the Mr. Gaskets (square port?) depending on exhaust port size. The numbers they show are 5900, 5901, and 5916.

Exhaust Manifold Bolts-I have read that different bolts must be used because of the difference in flange thickness from stock manifolds to headers. What length of bolts do I need?

Does anything else have to be replaced when installing these? Trying to get everything I need before I order so I will be ready to install when they get here.

My car is an L-81 with A/C, PS, etc.. Heads should be stock.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to having side pipes!

Last edited by zakbradshaw; 02-22-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Scotty76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zakbradshaw
I am about to order the Maximizer (OBX) non-resonated side pipe kit. The one I'm getting includes the mounting hardware for the pipes, but what else do I need?

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets-I have always used Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals. Should I go with these again? What part number should I use for an L-81? There are three different part numbers on Summit for the Mr. Gaskets (square port?) depending on exhaust port size. The numbers they show are 5900, 5901, and 5916.

Exhaust Manifold Bolts-I have read that different bolts must be used because of the difference in flange thickness from stock manifolds to headers. What length of bolts do I need?

Does anything else have to be replaced when installing these? Trying to get everything I need before I order so I will be ready to install when they get here.

My car is an L-81 with A/C, PS, etc..

Thanks guys! Looking forward to having side pipes!

I have Allen's side exhaust on my 1976. It's nearly a match to the 1969 option package. However, I have the fiberglass covers.

I can tell you the major hick-up I had is that these kits do not fit without a custom installation involving cutting and welding. The covers also were a cut to fit deal.

I was having work done anyway so I had it all done at once but my mechanic was not happy about it. Looks sick though!!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:35 PM
zakbradshaw
Instructor

I have seen some people saying they had to trim the rocker but many said they fit without modification. I haven't read any write-ups saying that the pipes themselves had to be cut/welded, but occasionally they had to slightly "dent" the pipe to fit around the steering components. What gaskets did you use/recommend? Trying to find which ones fit my stock heads.

I am looking at the ARP stainless 3/8-1" and 3/8-.75" header bolts with the 5/16 head. Should I order each of these and use what fits best?
Old 02-22-2015, 02:38 PM
zakbradshaw
Instructor

It looked like Oreillys site says the Mr. Gasket 5901 fit the 81 Vette, but want to make sure before I order.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

The pipes don't come with mounting hardware? jeez
Old 02-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Tychamon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim-81
The pipes don't come with mounting hardware? jeez
I just did OBX side pipes on my 81 over Christmas, email me if you have any questions. Tychamon@sbcglobal.net

Kevin
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 PM
zakbradshaw
Instructor

I ordered from an eBay seller and the pipes included hardware.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 L-81 Mounting Side Pipes, What Do I Need?

Quick Reply: 1981 L-81 Mounting Side Pipes, What Do I Need?